Hedy Lamarr profile on PBS' AMERICAN MASTERS

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Harlowgold

Hedy Lamarr profile on PBS' AMERICAN MASTERS

PostFri May 18, 2018 1:12 pm

Premieres tonight in most areas and should be repeated at least once or twice during the week on the same channel or a second PBS channel in your area. Of course, Lamarr being profiled in this series is mainly because of her innovative inventions rather than her superstar level film career https://woub.org/2018/05/11/hedy-lamarr ... y-18-at-9/

radiotelefonia

Re: Hedy Lamarr profile on PBS' AMERICAN MASTERS

PostSat May 19, 2018 2:08 pm

I was able to see it before it aired because it was shown in Latin America previously... that recording is available if you look for it.

Jim Roots

PostSun May 20, 2018 8:09 am

Got to admit it almost put me to sleep. And I'm a Lamarr fan!

Jim

westegg

PostMon May 21, 2018 6:33 am

Jim Roots wrote:Got to admit it almost put me to sleep. And I'm a Lamarr fan!

Jim

Odd. Can't imagine how it could seem boring. It was imaginatively put together, and intriguing every step of the way. Too much science?

:?: :?: :shock: :?: :?:

Harlowgold

PostMon May 21, 2018 12:08 pm

I found it very interesting although quite a downer, not only for Hedy's failure to get any $$ from her invention but only getting acknowledgement for it in the last decade of her life. Too, her post-Hollywood story was pretty depressing. Didn't know she was hooked on "speed" (called "vitamin shots" at the time!) thanks to a shady doctor. Her personal traumas certainly explain the shoplifting incident. On the plus side, had no idea how gorgeous she still was in the 1960's admittedly some of it due to plastic surgery but wow, she looked sensational on that rock n' roll dance show circa 1965, at 51 she could have easily passed for 30 and looked startingly like a contemporary sex symbol with that great figure and young girl "mod" clothes. She looked great too in the 1969 color clip from the Mike Douglas Show and looked like a slightly older Natalie Wood in many of the candids. I was glad to see pix of her too in later years even though her plastic surgeries were not so successful, still considering her age she looked pretty good. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of her anywhere post-1975 before (I think the candids in 1978's THE FILMS OF HEDY LAMARR date from around that time).

westegg

PostTue May 22, 2018 6:10 am

Harlowgold wrote:I found it very interesting although quite a downer, not only for Hedy's failure to get any $$ from her invention but only getting acknowledgement for it in the last decade of her life. Too, her post-Hollywood story was pretty depressing. Didn't know she was hooked on "speed" (called "vitamin shots" at the time!) thanks to a shady doctor. Her personal traumas certainly explain the shoplifting incident. On the plus side, had no idea how gorgeous she still was in the 1960's admittedly some of it due to plastic surgery but wow, she looked sensational on that rock n' roll dance show circa 1965, at 51 she could have easily passed for 30 and looked startingly like a contemporary sex symbol with that great figure and young girl "mod" clothes. She looked great too in the 1969 color clip from the Mike Douglas Show and looked like a slightly older Natalie Wood in many of the candids. I was glad to see pix of her too in later years even though her plastic surgeries were not so successful, still considering her age she looked pretty good. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of her anywhere post-1975 before (I think the candids in 1978's THE FILMS OF HEDY LAMARR date from around that time).

If it's the '69 color clip I think you're referring to, that was Merv Griffin.

maliejandra

PostTue May 22, 2018 9:34 am

I was disappointed to learn that she was writing her memoirs but never finished and published them. There is a book out that claims to be written by her, but it is notoriously scandalous and done by someone else. (In spite of that, I own a copy. Just haven't read it.)

cinefan

PostTue May 22, 2018 10:28 am

westegg wrote:If it's the '69 color clip I think you're referring to, that was Merv Griffin.

I haven't yet seen this documentary, but I have seen what I assume is the same Merv Griffin interview. If you happen to have Amazon Prime there are a number of Merv Griffin episodes available. I watched the one with Hedy Lamarr maybe a couple months back; my impression at the time was that it included the entire interview.

I guess it must be this one:

13. Episode 13
This compilation episode features guests Woody Allen, Hedy Lamarr, Moms Mabley, Leslie Uggams, Ted Sorenson, and Gore Vidal.

antoniod

PostWed May 23, 2018 12:52 pm

One thing that annoyed me early on in it was that they made it sound like Hedy was living under the Nazis in Austria, when in fact she left Europe in 1937 and the Nazis didn't annex Austria until 1938: the doc. made no distinction between pre and post-Anschluss Austria, and indeed skipped over the Anschluss entirely(jumping to the invasion of Greater Europe). I also couldn't help thinking that the evidence that the military simply stole Hedy's invention was kind of vague.

Harlett O'Dowd

PostThu May 24, 2018 12:55 pm

I guess I had heard so much about the doc that I went into it with unrealistic expectations. Or perhaps it's better to say there was much in it that I didn't expect.

Her wit, intelligence, and talent, spanning multiple disciplines was well documented, as I had been told by others who had viewed it at various screenings.

What surprised me was to learn that she went the way of so many young MGM players (coddled/trapped in that we-will-handle-everything-for-you-here-take-this-to-give-you-energy way) that led the way to many bad business/money and life decisions after the she left the studio.

For me, that "damaged-MGM-goods" aspect had me doubting much of her story, especially her Austrian marriage and escape from Vienna. And while I don't doubt that the US government treated her scientific contributions to the war effort shamefully, part of me wonders if things might have worked out differently if she hadn't trusted DC to handle everything for her in the way that Mr. Mayer did for her in Hollywood.

Harlowgold

PostThu May 24, 2018 2:53 pm

westegg wrote:
Harlowgold wrote:I found it very interesting although quite a downer, not only for Hedy's failure to get any $$ from her invention but only getting acknowledgement for it in the last decade of her life. Too, her post-Hollywood story was pretty depressing. Didn't know she was hooked on "speed" (called "vitamin shots" at the time!) thanks to a shady doctor. Her personal traumas certainly explain the shoplifting incident. On the plus side, had no idea how gorgeous she still was in the 1960's admittedly some of it due to plastic surgery but wow, she looked sensational on that rock n' roll dance show circa 1965, at 51 she could have easily passed for 30 and looked startingly like a contemporary sex symbol with that great figure and young girl "mod" clothes. She looked great too in the 1969 color clip from the Mike Douglas Show and looked like a slightly older Natalie Wood in many of the candids. I was glad to see pix of her too in later years even though her plastic surgeries were not so successful, still considering her age she looked pretty good. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of her anywhere post-1975 before (I think the candids in 1978's THE FILMS OF HEDY LAMARR date from around that time).

If it's the '69 color clip I think you're referring to, that was Merv Griffin.

Yes, that's who I was referring to, alas I often get Merv and Mike mixed up (and Ralph Graves and Ralph Forbes, Bill Paxton and Bill Pullman, et al) should have double-checked what I had written before posting.

Rick Lanham

PostSat May 26, 2018 1:29 pm

I watched this in the last day or two.*

I wasn't bored at all. I had previously thought that she wrote the book which came out so long ago. I was pleased at the great advice she gave at the end. On checking, she was quoting others; very touching though.

*PBS channel on a Roku box.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

maliejandra

PostTue May 29, 2018 6:49 am

I finished this one last night. I didn't know a lot about her later life so that was informative, and I think it is interesting how conflicted she was about her screen image. I knew she worked on things that led to GPS, and I didn't feel like I learned a great deal concerning that. What fascinated me more was that she received "Vitamin B" shots, meth, and that it affected her personality and behavior (for obvious reasons).

For those who say it was a snooze, I think it was the pacing, which was pretty typical PBS fare. It is methodical and uses a lot of film clips to illustrate the narration, and many were surprisingly terrible prints. But if you're game for an "intellectual" approach, you should find it to be informative.

Return to Talkie News