Bill Gold Dead at 97

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

boblipton

Bill Gold Dead at 97

PostMon May 21, 2018 3:08 pm

His first movie was Yankee Doodle Dandy and he did the same thing on 215 movies; his last was J. Edgar for Eastwood. What did he do, you ask?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/20/obit ... ctionfront" target="_blank

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

s.w.a.c.

Re: Bill Gold Dead at 97

PostTue May 22, 2018 1:10 pm

Never would have guessed that Casablanca and Dirty Harry had the same poster artist.

He certainly knew how to change with the times, and still come up with eye-grabbing artwork. Even though it's far from my favourite Hitchcock, Gold's Dial M for Murder is a stunning poster. Kicking myself (and my then-current bank balance) for not being able to pick up an original linen-backed one-sheet I saw for sale in Toronto 30 years ago.

Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostTue May 22, 2018 2:04 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:Never would have guessed that Casablanca and Dirty Harry had the same poster artist.

He certainly knew how to change with the times, and still come up with eye-grabbing artwork. Even though it's far from my favourite Hitchcock, Gold's Dial M for Murder is a stunning poster. Kicking myself (and my then-current bank balance) for not being able to pick up an original linen-backed one-sheet I saw for sale in Toronto 30 years ago.

Do you recall the price? Many years ago I sold or exchanged originals of RED RIVER (re-issue, probably), THE RED BADGE OF COURAGE and PSYCHO (French), which perhaps I should have held on to...

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostTue May 22, 2018 2:06 pm

...and remarkable that a newcomer would have been given the studio's big projects to work on, but maybe several artists would have had a go...

s.w.a.c.

PostTue May 22, 2018 3:27 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:
s.w.a.c. wrote:Never would have guessed that Casablanca and Dirty Harry had the same poster artist.

Do you recall the price? Many years ago I sold or exchanged originals of RED RIVER (re-issue, probably), THE RED BADGE OF COURAGE and PSYCHO (French), which perhaps I should have held on to...

Not off the top of my head, but I remember it was under $1,000.

A far cry from the Rebecca half-sheet a friend found at a flea market for $15...
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Return to Talkie News