The Jean Harlow Films - final book project

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

JLNeibaur

The Jean Harlow Films - final book project

PostWed May 23, 2018 11:09 pm

I am currently writing THE JEAN HARLOW FILMS for McFarland. My book THE CHARLIE CHAN FILMS was released by Bear Manor on May 1, another book, THE ANDY CLYDE COLUMBIA COMEDIES, comes out from McFarland in late Summer or early Fall. I have also completed THE HAL ROACH FILMS OF THELMA TODD, ZASU PITTS, and PATSY KELLY which covers that series.

THE JEAN HARLOW FILMS will be my 25th book. I have also decided it will be my last. I will continue to do DVD and book reviews, and will do write-ups of random films for my website. It takes all year to write a book (I work on it full time, having retired from a 30 year teaching career), and spending that much time covering just one subject doesn't give me much time to explore other aspects of film history. So, I am stopping at 25 books.

The Chan book is already out, the Andy Clyde book (which was completed before I started the Chan book) is coming out soon. I assume the Todd-Pitts-Kelly will be out sometime in 2019, and the Harlow probably not till 2020. So, while I will quit writing books upon finishing the Harlow later this year, I'll likely have books coming out for the next couple years.

Links to anything I write that might fit in to this website will be shared here.

Thanks!
JN

Jim Roots

Re: The Jean Harlow Films - final book project

PostThu May 24, 2018 8:16 am

Wait, you can't retire yet! You haven't written The Biffle and Shooster Films book yet!

Jim

s.w.a.c.

PostThu May 24, 2018 10:18 am

Now we just need to get you doing DVD audio commentaries!
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

JLNeibaur

PostThu May 24, 2018 2:17 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:Now we just need to get you doing DVD audio commentaries!

Haha -- actually I did do commentaries for the two W.C. Fields silents that KINO released on blu ray, and also their release of VISIT TO A SMALL PLANET with Jerry Lewis. I recorded the Fields commentaries first, and acted like I was watching the film with the viewer, offering occasional observations along the way. I was told to talk more for the Lewis commentary, so I yapped away at anything and everything connected to the movie. People seemed to prefer that. So, yeah, I'd do more if asked.

JLNeibaur

PostThu May 24, 2018 2:18 pm

Jim Roots wrote:Wait, you can't retire yet! You haven't written The Biffle and Shooster Films book yet!

Jim

First I have to see where they rank in your book....

s.w.a.c.

PostFri May 25, 2018 10:36 am

JLNeibaur wrote:
s.w.a.c. wrote:Now we just need to get you doing DVD audio commentaries!

Haha -- actually I did do commentaries for the two W.C. Fields silents that KINO released on blu ray, and also their release of VISIT TO A SMALL PLANET with Jerry Lewis. I recorded the Fields commentaries first, and acted like I was watching the film with the viewer, offering occasional observations along the way. I was told to talk more for the Lewis commentary, so I yapped away at anything and everything connected to the movie. People seemed to prefer that. So, yeah, I'd do more if asked.

Figures, Visit to a Small Planet is sitting on top of my "to watch" pile right now, and the Fields silents are currently winging their way to my address thanks to Kino's current sale (hard to beat $8.99 for those blu-rays). I will be diving into those soon enough!
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

JLNeibaur

PostFri May 25, 2018 7:33 pm

My commentary notwithstanding, the Fields silents on KINO look amazing and they are both funny movies. Highly recommended.

JN

Return to Talkie News