Bob Clampett

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

MGH

Bob Clampett

PostThu Mar 31, 2011 8:15 am

Next year, there will be a third Bob Clampett: The Special Edition video, and it will include public domain Schlesingers.

Jim Roots

Re: Bob Clampett

PostThu Mar 31, 2011 11:15 am

MGH wrote:Next year, there will be a third Bob Clampett: The Special Edition video, and it will include public domain Schlesingers.

Mike S. is in the public domain? Damn, where's the Sonny Bono clause when we really need it!?

Jim

dr.giraud

PostThu Mar 31, 2011 11:16 am

MGH wrote:Next year, there will be a third Bob Clampett: The Special Edition video, and it will include public domain Schlesingers.

Some of the public domain stuff, like A CORNY CONCERTO, made it onto Looney Tunes Golden Collections. I'm delighted at a Clampett stand-alone, but it's going to have to include some rare, unreleased stuff (hint hint, a certain Disney parody that's currently "banned") to get me buy a set that's going to have a lot of repeats from the Golden Collections.
dr. giraud

dr.giraud

PostThu Mar 31, 2011 11:17 am

Jim Roots wrote:

Mike S. is in the public domain? Damn, where's the Sonny Bono clause when we really need it!?

Jim

He's still under copyright in Europe.
dr. giraud

Frederica

PostThu Mar 31, 2011 11:46 am

dr.giraud wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:

Jim

Could we withdraw from Berne?
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

boblipton

PostThu Mar 31, 2011 11:57 am

Frederica wrote:
dr.giraud wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:

Jim

Could we withdraw from Berne?

International treaty? Basically, no.

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

precode

PostWed Apr 06, 2011 6:20 pm

I beg your pardon. I have never been in the public domain. Even my privates are not in the public domain. (Drat.)

Mike S.

MGH

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 11:16 am

Instead of Bob Clampett 3, Warners made a special edition of BUGS BUNNY SUPERSTAR in 2012, which included a new commentary track about Clampett.

bigshot

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 11:47 pm

boblipton wrote:
Frederica wrote:Could we withdraw from Berne?

International treaty? Basically, no.

Just tell Trump it has to do with climate change.

syd

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 12:51 am

Bob Clampett also created Time for Beany (tv puppet show)
and Beany and Cecil (animated tv show).

He was also at the helm of notorious shorts like Coal Black and
de Sebben Dwarfs.

MGH

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 11:44 am

Thanks for responding, Mr Syd. Yourself and Dr Giraud are the only ones who actually addressed the topic.

MGH

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 12:01 pm

I taped a version of the 1975 film BUGS BUNNY SUPERSTAR from a cable channel [don't remember which one], and it had a different narrator. The same footage was re-used for the 1990 film A SALUTE TO BUGS BUNNY, which was narrated by Harlan Rector.

MGH

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 2:34 pm

See what happens, Mr Syd, ya ago away for 6 months and they never forgive you.

syd

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 10:17 pm

Welcome back.

MGH

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 10:55 pm

Thanks Syd.

s.w.a.c.

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 9:45 am

What were the first two Bob Clampett: The Special Edition videos? Google shows me nothing (other than this thread).

I've got the two Beany & Cecil collections, and love 'em to pieces. Wish there was more! Also, has his work for Columbia/Screen Gems ever been officially released anywhere?

It probably goes without saying that a complete Tex Avery MGM set is long overdue too...how come France gets one (albeit flawed), and we don't?
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Thad Komorowski

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 11:23 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:What were the first two Bob Clampett: The Special Edition videos? Google shows me nothing (other than this thread).

I've got the two Beany & Cecil collections, and love 'em to pieces. Wish there was more! Also, has his work for Columbia/Screen Gems ever been officially released anywhere?

It probably goes without saying that a complete Tex Avery MGM set is long overdue too...how come France gets one (albeit flawed), and we don't?

Those are what he's referring to. Those are treasure troves of Clampett goodness, even if the Beany & Cecil cartoons themselves aren't too hot.

Re: Clampett at Screen Gems - he only did some freelance story work on a few, like "Cockatoos for Two". Paul Sommer, who was at Screen Gems throughout the '40s as an animator and director, never saw Clampett in the building.

As for a complete, uncut MGM Tex Avery set... most of us will be in our cold graves before we get that.

MGH

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 12:27 pm

I misunderstood. There was never a Volume 3. "The Special Edition:Volume 1" with NEW bonus material was announced in 2011, and was finally completed in 2015. Mr Komorowski, thanks for clearing things up.

s.w.a.c.

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 9:11 am

Thad Komorowski wrote:Re: Clampett at Screen Gems - he only did some freelance story work on a few, like "Cockatoos for Two". Paul Sommer, who was at Screen Gems throughout the '40s as an animator and director, never saw Clampett in the building.

And many thanks for uploading a colour copy of Cockatoos for Two to YouTube, Thad!

I realized Clampett only had a hand in a few Screen Gems cartoons, the fact he went uncredited probably made his contributions a bit harder to nail down.

Thad Komorowski

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 12:38 pm

Thanks... That's from my nitrate of it, which is missing the credits and the last few seconds. (Despite that, it's the best print currently accessible, at least until there's a more thorough search of Sony's vaults.)

Clampett wrote two others, "Boston Beanie" and "Swiss Tease", and his influence is certainly discernible elsewhere, like the jaw-dropping Daffy Duck ripoff in "Wacky Quacky"... But I think he was merely throwing his friends Ray Katz and Henry Binder (the last producers of the Screen Gems cartoons) some ideas and gags—which of course magically became the position of "Story Editor" in the Bob Clampett Universe, despite him never being in the building.

MGH

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 1:05 pm

Peter Lorre's plate is filled with hemoglobin.

s.w.a.c.

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 1:52 pm

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Return to Talkie News