Cleopatra (1917)

Posts of a primarily image-based nature including galleries, ID requests, etc.
  • Author

FlammableNitrate

Cleopatra (1917)

PostSun Oct 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Possible chariot race?
http://archive.org/stream/phooct1213chi ... 9/mode/2up

Anyone got any other photos of Cleopatra (1917) other than Theda closeups?

Bob Birchard

Re: Cleopatra (1917)

PostWed Oct 07, 2015 7:14 pm

There is a chariot race in the script, but I've never seen any stills from it.

Spiny Norman

PostThu Oct 08, 2015 1:47 am

FlammableNitrate wrote:...other than Theda closeups?
That's just it, there are only 2 or 3 non-portrait photos. They aren't all Theda, but they are all inside.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Bob Birchard

PostThu Oct 08, 2015 2:16 am

Spiny Norman wrote:
That's just it, there are only 2 or 3 non-portrait photos. They aren't all Theda, but they are all inside.

Not true. There are many surviving scene stills I've seen, not just portraits--more than 100.

Spiny Norman

PostThu Oct 08, 2015 3:49 am

Bob Birchard wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:

Not true. There are many surviving scene stills I've seen, not just portraits--more than 100.
But they are all interior with only 2 or 3 of the exterior of the set/location.

Bob Birchard

PostThu Oct 08, 2015 5:46 am

Again, not true. There are shots of Cleopatra in the desert from the beginning of the film, all the shots with Art Acord I recall are exteriors. There are shots on Cleopatra's barge, etc. There are exteriors in Rome w/o Cleopatra in them.

greta de groat

PostThu Oct 08, 2015 7:47 am

Wasn't someone working on a reconstruction with the stills? Or a book or something?

Greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Spiny Norman

PostThu Oct 08, 2015 9:33 am

Bob Birchard wrote:Again, not true. There are shots of Cleopatra in the desert from the beginning of the film, all the shots with Art Acord I recall are exteriors. There are shots on Cleopatra's barge, etc. There are exteriors in Rome w/o Cleopatra in them.
The reconstruction that I saw was straining as soon as they stepped outside because there was much less material to use, almost nothing for the robbing of the temple for example. I don't recall any exterior scenes in Rome.

Spiny Norman

PostThu Oct 08, 2015 4:17 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
Bob Birchard wrote:Again, not true. There are shots of Cleopatra in the desert from the beginning of the film, all the shots with Art Acord I recall are exteriors. There are shots on Cleopatra's barge, etc. There are exteriors in Rome w/o Cleopatra in them.
The reconstruction that I saw was straining as soon as they stepped outside because there was much less material to use, almost nothing for the robbing of the temple for example. I don't recall any exterior scenes in Rome.
By the way I suppose you know that some photos are used several times but zoomed in on different details? I'm sure the maker of the reconstruction said that there were only three - although he may have meant only three of the palace / encampment exterior. Otherwise it would be a really small number.

Phillip Dye

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 3:35 pm

I am the one working on the reconstruction, for which I have gathered some 500 stills. Exterior shots are indeed rare, but there are about a dozen stills depicting Caesar's arrival at the Senate in the forum, and the speeches of Antony and Brutus. Additional 'Roman' scenes were filmed back East at something called 'the sunken gardens' but I have not determined an exact location. Other exterior shots include three stills showing the desert encampment of Cleopatra (filmed in sand dunes in Oxnard, CA), a few stills showing the waterfront of Alexandria and exterior of the palace shot at Dominguez Slough (now Torrance, CA), precious few stills showing the naval battle of Actium (shot at then Balboa Bay, now Newport Beach, CA) a couple of stills showing the arrival of Cleopatra's barge at Tarsus (probably Balboa Bay, but no supporting evidence). One report says there was filming at the canals of Venice, CA, but I have no additional evidence and credit this report to a sloppy researcher. The rest of the exteriors, including the Roman Forum, were likely filmed at the Fox Western street studio backlot. Although all the stills depict interiors, save for those described above. The tomb raiding scene now has a few stills covering it. Aside of Fox press releases talking about 'racing' chariots' no mention of a chariot race is mentioned in reviews, and likely it was never filmed.

Return to Image Gallery