Color from Black-and-White: colorized photos

Posts of a primarily image-based nature including galleries, ID requests, etc.
  • Author

tthacker

Re: Color from Black-and-White: colorized photos

PostSun Oct 02, 2016 6:30 pm

One more Joan, this time with Doug Jr, from Union Depot.

jharvat

PostMon Oct 03, 2016 6:45 pm

More proof that a good original helps a colorization effort. This pic of Alice Joyce was in pretty bad shape but she had such an interesting look that I thought I'd give it a try anyway.

tthacker

PostTue Oct 04, 2016 7:33 pm

A young Zasu Pitts

Donald Binks

PostSat Oct 08, 2016 3:50 pm

One of the hardest things to do in colouring up a black and white photo, I find, is to get the flesh tones right - particularly on the face.

Whilst twiddling around on the 'net I happened on this photograph below which a Brazilian fellow has coloured from a Newsreel still of the then British Prime Minister, Neville Chamberlain after he had arrived back in London from Munich after a meeting with old Schicklegruber. It looks so lifelike I had to pinch myself a dozen times to realise that it wasn't an original colour photo!

Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

bobfells

PostSun Oct 09, 2016 10:08 am

Donald Binks wrote:One of the hardest things to do in colouring up a black and white photo, I find, is to get the flesh tones right - particularly on the face.

Whilst twiddling around on the 'net I happened on this photograph below which a Brazilian fellow has coloured from a Newsreel still of the then British Prime Minister, Neville Chamberlain after he had arrived back in London from Munich after a meeting with old Schicklegruber. It looks so lifelike I had to pinch myself a dozen times to realise that it wasn't an original colour photo!

Yes Donald, remarkable work! But i can't believe this is a frame grab. It even seems too sharp for a still shown in a film.

bobfells

PostSun Oct 09, 2016 10:19 am

New color transfers by Moi. Starting with the software we discussed a few weeks ago, I can tackle much more complex views than the usual head and shoulders portraits. My challenge is to replace colors and tones that just don't work.

On the set of THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (1923) left to right director Wallace Worsley, Lon Chaney, Norman Kerry:

On the set of TIDE OF EMPIRE (1929) left to right Natalie Talmadge Keaton, director Allan Dwan, Constance Talmadge, Buster Keaton made up for his cameo appearance, Renee Adoree, Buster Collier Jr.:

On the set of THE MYSTERIOUS LADY (1928) on the staircase Conrad Nagel and Greta Garbo, standing next to the camera director Fred Niblo:

Donald Binks

PostSun Oct 09, 2016 2:15 pm

bobfells wrote:New color transfers by Moi. Starting with the software we discussed a few weeks ago, I can tackle much more complex views than the usual head and shoulders portraits. My challenge is to replace colors and tones that just don't work.
]

Love your attention to detail there Bob - especially the bottom one with Conrad Nagel. These pictures would probably gain a cursory glance in black and white - but with your colouring they cause one to linger longer.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,

bobfells

PostSun Oct 09, 2016 5:47 pm

Thank you Donald, your kind words mean a lot to me. I've discovered a simple technique to make the color little more natural: when I'm finished and like what I've done, before I post I do one final thing - I dial back the color saturation somewhat. It seems to make a difference.

tthacker

PostMon Oct 10, 2016 6:38 pm

Kathleen Connors. I was reluctant to tackle this one, but I think it turned out okay.

bobfells

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 5:35 pm

Here's a new group of my color transfers. This first one is of special interest.

On the set of the first version of LOVE (1927) starring Greta Garbo, This version was scrapped: Ricardo Cortez was replaced by John Gilbert. Director Dimitri Buchowetzki was replaced by Edmund Goulding, and cinematographer Merritt B. Gerstad was replaced by William Daniels:

Buster Keaton filming a scene for COLLEGE (1927):

Anna May Wong at a movie premiere, early 1930s:

Lon Chaney on location in Minnesota filming THUNDER (1929), his last silent:

tthacker

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 8:01 pm

This might be the last colorized photo I post. My main purpose for doing them was to get a feel for how photos were colored a hundred years ago. Of course, I'm using much different tools, but I was more interested in what made a particular photo a good subject for coloring than the actual mechanics of the process. Some of what I found will be useful in my Evans research as well as in my own photography. So I'll leave you with this photo of Marie Walcamp.

bobfells

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 8:58 pm

Tom,

Sorry to lose you but I understand. Once you've learned to use the digital tools the process can become rather redundant after a time. I am referring to the head-and-shoulders portraits. I lost interest for this reason but had renewed interest in tackling more complex scenes along the lines of what I posted here recently. At any rate, best of luck to you!

Bob

Ludi

PostSat Oct 22, 2016 7:32 pm

Just want to let you know, I've been really enjoying looking at the colorized photos. Your work has not been ignored!
ernestthesiger.org

tthacker

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 8:59 pm

Thanks, Ludi. Everyone's been very positive and supportive, which I do appreciate. It's been an extremely interesting exercise and lots of fun, too. Definitely didn't grow tired of doing it; I think I must have colored nearly 80 photos in the last 3 months. And, although I've said that I'm done, a Bebe Daniels photo that I got last week is tempting me back! We'll see how long I can hold out.

bobfells

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 7:34 pm

Greta Garbo in 1933 returning from Sweden to begin her new MGM contract:

Garbo and director Clarence Brown cast wary eyes on the microphone on the set of her first talkie, ANNA CHRISTIE (1930):

tthacker

PostSat Oct 29, 2016 7:30 pm

Okay, I said I was going to stop, but the siren call of Bebe could not be ignored. And can you really blame me?

bobfells

PostMon Oct 31, 2016 4:15 pm

In the spirit of Halloween - Valerie Hobson and Ernest Thesiger in THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935):

and a familiar shot often colorized but this time by me:

jharvat

PostThu Nov 03, 2016 6:32 pm

Cleo De Morode seems like she was her era's equivalent of a Kardashian - she was famous for being famous. She actually did have a fairly successful dancing career in Europe but I don't think she ever made any film appearances (which, dead to rights, makes her off-topic). But I'm a sucker for a pretty face so here she is.

jharvat

PostFri Nov 18, 2016 5:29 pm

Thought Kay Francis turned out pretty well.

jharvat

PostSat Nov 19, 2016 1:27 pm

Thought I would try something a little more complex. Here's Dorothy Flood - only one movie in IMDB - Resurrection, 1931, with Lupe Velez. She was better known as a Ziegfeld girl. Trying to figure out what she's driving.

bobfells

PostSat Nov 19, 2016 1:51 pm

Beautiful work Joe, both Kay and Dorothy. I'm wondering if Dorothy is sitting in a two-door or is in the back seat of a four-door? I love the color you gave the car.

wich2

PostSat Nov 19, 2016 4:25 pm

>Thought Kay Francis turned out pretty well.<

Twuwy, she wooks wucious!

jharvat

PostSat Nov 19, 2016 5:39 pm

Thanks, Bob. I grew up around the antique car hobby and I remember seeing Buicks and Packards from the late 30s sporting that nice maroon color. Think Dorothy's in a coupe but that door molding has me stumped - might be a Hudson or something.

wich - regarding Kay - vehwy funny! ;)

Donald Binks

PostSat Nov 19, 2016 5:54 pm

jharvat wrote:Thanks, Bob. I grew up around the antique car hobby and I remember seeing Buicks and Packards from the late 30s sporting that nice maroon color. Think Dorothy's in a coupe but that door molding has me stumped - might be a Hudson or something.

wich - regarding Kay - vehwy funny! ;)

The colour is still used on Rolls Royces and Bentleys. (yells) "Carruthers! When is my Rolls being delivered? It's overdue by about 65 years."
:D
Regards from
Donald Binks

bobfells

PostSat Nov 19, 2016 8:05 pm

Screenwriter Bess Meredyth on the set of BEN-HUR (1925):

bobfells

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 8:48 pm

Happy Thanksgiving - Olive Thomas adds some finishing touches to the mince pie:

jharvat

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 5:27 pm

All the boys think she's a spy...

Desrio

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 9:25 am

Hello? Hello-o-o? Anybody there?

Wow, it's been quiet here for a long time. Thought I'd see if I could wake anybody up by posting this. Colleen Moore and Larry Kent in a publicity still from Her Wild Oat. I did it some time ago and wasn't going to post it as I was unhappy with the way Moore looked. I have made some improvements but she's still not right - I can't make her look natural but with so much makeup I guess that's never going to happen.

Turpinutz

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Desrio, fantastic job with Colleen Moore's dress! WOW! Even the small curtains are nice. If anything, I'd tone down the vibrancy of Colleen's face and neck, otherwise this is a beauty! You guys are inspiring me to get back to colorizing! Keep up the good work, friends.

- SteveR

Desrio

PostSat Jan 28, 2017 4:36 am

Thank you for your kind words, Steve.
The dress really wasn't as difficult as it might look - a graphics tablet makes light work of it.
Regarding your comment about Moore's face and neck: I appreciate what you say but there's the problem; If I wind the colour down anymore she starts to look grey, turn it up and she looks like a clown. As you can see, her arms and hands are fine but with all the makeup, I have to say, I don't think there's anything I can do to make her look more natural.
PreviousNext

Return to Image Gallery