Old Hollywood Photos in 3D

Posts of a primarily image-based nature including galleries, ID requests, etc.
  • Author

silentfilm

Re: Old Hollywood Photos in 3D

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 7:40 pm

OK, I've split the 3D posts off into a separate thread, since the original colorized thread was already the biggest one that we had...

bobfells

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 8:29 pm

Little Caesar wrote: "I just remembered that you did start a "Classic Film Stars in 3D" thread to showcase your life masks. Well, if I do any further experiments with screen shots from films, I'll post them there."

That's fine LC, but I didn't use that thread for the 3D photos because mine are colorized. So I posted them in the "Color from B/W" thread in the Image Gallery. It would make sense to gather all the 3D material together into one thread regardless of whether they are b/w, genuine color, or color transfers.

Nice work with Stan and Mae. Maybe you can try closer shots to bring out the 3D aspects of facial features.

bobfells

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 8:31 pm

silentfilm wrote:OK, I've split the 3D posts off into a separate thread, since the original colorized thread was already the biggest one that we had...

Thanks Bruce, but are we allowed to post 3D colorized photos on the 3D thread?

Little Caesar

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 8:52 pm

bobfells wrote:Little Caesar wrote: "I just remembered that you did start a "Classic Film Stars in 3D" thread to showcase your life masks. Well, if I do any further experiments with screen shots from films, I'll post them there."

That's fine LC, but I didn't use that thread for the 3D photos because mine are colorized. So I posted them in the "Color from B/W" thread in the Image Gallery. It would make sense to gather all the 3D material together into one thread regardless of whether they are b/w, genuine color, or color transfers.

Nice work with Stan and Mae. Maybe you can try closer shots to bring out the 3D aspects of facial features.

Thanks Bob. As you mentioned before, it's not necessarily easy finding the right shot, but it can be done. I'm not planning to actively create 3D shots from movies, but if I happen to see a camera shot conducive to 3d conversion while watching a movie, I'll note it and see what can be done with it later. It is an interesting novelty though.
Never cry over spilt milk, because it may have been poisoned. - W.C. Fields

silentfilm

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 9:39 pm

bobfells wrote:
silentfilm wrote:OK, I've split the 3D posts off into a separate thread, since the original colorized thread was already the biggest one that we had...

Thanks Bruce, but are we allowed to post 3D colorized photos on the 3D thread?

Yes, but no Smell-O-Vision photos!

missdupont

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 9:50 pm

Little Caesar's skin tones are much more realistic, Bob, yours are too orange. Skin tones should be more pink and red, not yellow or orange.

bobfells

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 10:13 pm

missdupont wrote:Little Caesar's skin tones are much more realistic, Bob, yours are too orange. Skin tones should be more pink and red, not yellow or orange.

The skin tone color I use is called lipstick, when applied with a second layer it is ruby red. I use no orange tone on the skin. The real culprit may be your color calibration on your monitor.

Little Caesar

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 1:56 pm

Bob,
Before going to bed last night, I made a few more stereoviews from successive frames in movies. Some are definitely better than others.

Billie Dove in "The Black Pirate"

Another view from "The Black Pirate"

Bebe Daniels in "42nd Street"

Ruby Keeler in "42nd Street"

Harold Lloyd in "Girl Shy"

Buster Keaton, Sybil Seely, and "Hank" in "One Week"

bobfells

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 3:09 pm

LC,

The Fairbanks shot from PIRATE is terrific, looks like it was meant for 3D. I'd give second place to Harold Lloyd. The Keaton had a nice depth to it but I found Bebe and Ruby the most challenging in melding the two images. Billie Dove worked nicely but I didn't sense much depth perception perhaps due to the dark background. But the Fairbanks and the Lloyd are winners!

bobfells

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 8:59 pm

Here are some new ones. First is an experiment along the lines of Little Caesar's screen grabs but I'm using the same frame to produce the depth effect. I also added a bit of color to the image, which is of course Rudolph Valentino in MONSIEUR BEAUCAIRE (1924):

I was reminded that Bebe Daniels co-starred with Rudy in BEAUCAIRE so I decided to used this original color Postcard. I have brightened the image but not otherwise toyed with the color. I think Bebe was too much red on her face suggesting somebody went overboard with the rouge. Still, some may prefer this skin tone:

The lighting here helps the 3D effect although the nose of W.C. Fields always looks like it's in 3D:

This one from HE WHO GETS SLAPPED (1924) seems to have turned very nicely:

Little Caesar

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Bob,
I don't have much to say other than the photos you posted all have the mild sense of depth that you were trying to achieve. Good work.

Here are two stereoviews I made from frames from "Big Business."

bobfells

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 6:49 pm

LC,

Fine work and the 3D effect works better with closer subjects. The tree in the first image must have been moving between the two frames because it seems alive in the combined image. The same effect with Ollie's head in the second image.

You've got me worried about my stuff. The 3D effect I'm trying for shouldn't be TOO mild. Perhaps I should experiment a bit more boldly but when I've tried that it produces eye strain. :(

Little Caesar

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 7:10 pm

bobfells wrote:LC,

Fine work and the 3D effect works better with closer subjects. The tree in the first image must have been moving between the two frames because it seems alive in the combined image. The same effect with Ollie's head in the second image.

You've got me worried about my stuff. The 3D effect I'm trying for shouldn't be TOO mild. Perhaps I should experiment a bit more boldly but when I've tried that it produces eye strain. :(

I didn't mean to get you worried there. The 3d effect may be mild, but it's not flat either. The images do seem to go into the plane of the computer some. It's almost like viewing the image from a distance through quartz. However, it's not a viewmaster-like effect either, but I don't think that's what you're attempting.

Here are a few more stereoviews. There was a little more movement than I would have liked between the successive frames in the first two stereoviews, but I think that they still look ok (I wouldn't be surprised if the dominant eye effect sort of counterbalances that).

bobfells

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 8:46 pm

Little Caesar wrote:
bobfells wrote:LC,

The Fields view is terrific except that his hand is noticeably moving his hat and the results is a sort of blur, but it's a small price to pay for an otherwise superb stereoview of The Great Man.

I love the Jolson and you really nailed it, even to including Hobart Bosworth and Lowell Sherman as bonuses. And I know just where this clip comes from at the very end. I couldn't resist trying to brighten and tone it up a bit but I added no color:
Funny how Jolson's mouth is in two different positions but they blend well in the stereoview.

Same thing with Marion:

I'm not sure it makes much difference with two-tone Technicolor though.

Little Caesar

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 10:16 pm

Thanks for the comments, Bob. The spruced-up versions do look better. Again, I've been doing these tests in a very low tech manner by taking the captures from youtube videos (there is nothing preventing me from going downstairs to pull my Warner Archive DVD of Mammy off the shelf except for laziness :lol: ). If I ever do a blog post on this subject, I would probably use DVD screen captures. I'm not sure what to call this 3d though. It's not true 3D, but I still hesitate calling it simulated 3D since I'm not converting from a single image. Reconstructed 3D is the only term that cames to mind. :mrgreen:

BTW - it took me several times to find a decent shot of Jolie that would work in 3D. That man moved very quickly!

bobfells

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 7:30 am

LC,

I like the term "Reconstructed 3D" for your use of two frames. Go with it!

Here's a test that may prove only there's no difference. Do you (and anybody visiting this thread) see any difference between these two slides, that is, more or less depth perception from one to the other:

Try these two as well:

Thanks!
Last edited by bobfells on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JFK

Stan+Ollie,Buster,Fred,Harry,Marxes,Ben+Charlie

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 1:22 pm

Keaton 3d photos are from same session as image below

Last edited by JFK on Sun May 20, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Little Caesar

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 4:14 pm

Bob,
I'm not seeing much of a difference between the two in each pair. If I had to make a choice, I would say I see a little more depth in the first of each pair. However, in general, I'm getting more of a perception of depth with these stereoviews than I had with your others. So, in other words, I wouldn't say the depth here was mild.

JFK,
I remember reading that a 3D conversion/colorization was done to Lloyd's hanging off the clock sequence. I'm guessing that this stereoview is from that?

Here are a few more "Reconstructed 3D" (patent pending) views:

I've been on two-color Technicolor kick lately. The next three are from the "Singin' in the Rain" finale of the "The Hollywood Revue of 1929."

Now, the next one is not particularly good, but I'm posting it because I think the unintentional hovering effect of Mr. A's head is sort of funny (I'm guessing that's there because he moved his head between the two frames).

bobfells

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 6:07 pm

LC,

I agree that the first Rudy and WC slides have a tad more depth.

Harold Lloyd moves his feet and hands between the two frames creating a 3D blur. Likewise, the first and third Singin' in the Rain slides have background blur but the second slide where Buster looks off to the right is nigh well perfect! Mr. Arliss is indeed turning his head towards Mrs. A to tell her that he knelt on the wrong knee when he was just knighted.

I've decided to make the April post on OHIC devoted to 3D. Here's some previews so please let me know what you think:

Little Caesar

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 6:31 pm

Good work on the two stereoviews, Bob. The Chaney-Hunchback photo has some good depth. The stone Chaney is on seems to be protrude slightly. Nice effect. The David Shepard DVD of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" includes some stereoviews (converted to anaglyph though).

Here are a few views of Buster Keaton and Marceline Day from "The Cameraman."

Marceline's leg moved a little more than I would have wanted in this view.

bobfells

Re: Harold Lloyd in 2½D + Buster in 3D Land (with borrowed t

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 8:34 pm

JFK wrote:Image

JFK,

This is a fascinating photo that I've never seen before in any format. The 3D effect on the smoke is terrific. Can you provide some background on how this slide was done?

Little Caesar

Re: Harold Lloyd in 2½D + Buster in 3D Land (with borrowed t

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 10:14 pm

bobfells wrote:
JFK wrote:Image

JFK,

This is a fascinating photo that I've never seen before in any format. The 3D effect on the smoke is terrific. Can you provide some background on how this slide was done?

I agree. This is one of the best 3D conversions I have ever seen.

Zoetrope

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 10:49 pm

This topic has given me the inspiration to finally scan some of the 3D items that I have.

These are stereoviews from my Photoscope Coin-Op drop card viewer. They are posed shots created by Exhibit Supply Company (the manufacturer of the viewer). Each set/story has 13 cards including the title card. The machine holds 5 sets. It shows one set for a penny.

The 5 sets in my machine are from 1925 and were made to look like they came from silent comedy films. My guess is that the people are all models but please let me know if you recognize anyone that was actually an actor.

Zoetrope

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 10:51 pm

Part 2 of the 1st set:

Zoetrope

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 10:53 pm

Last 5 from the 1st set:

Zoetrope

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 11:02 pm

For anyone that is really interested in viewing Stereoviews on their computer screen you may want to purchase a cheap Lorgnette viewer.

This company http://www.berezin.com/3d/3dglasses.htm sells them for $3.50. They also have a "Web Survival Pack" that includes 2 sets of anaglyph (red/blue) glasses, 2 pair of pulfrich glasses (I'll be adding more about this format later) and a lorgnette viewer - All for $5.00. Please note: I have never purchased from the company and there are others that sell various types of 3D glasses/viewers.

bobfells

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 2:29 pm

Russ,

Those Photoscope slides are the first move tie-ins I've seen. I agree that the actor is surely a Chaplin clone but the 3D effect is excellent even though they could have used a more picturesque background. I ran the first three cards through Photoshop to freshen them up a little. What do you think?

Zoetrope

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 3:23 pm

Bob,
I need to go through more of the items I have to see what else may be movie-related. I actually got into classic films because of collecting optical toys (viewers and projectors). I bought films because I had projectors instead of the other way around. I have many different types of 3D and persistance of motion viewers and projectors, including a mutoscope (with a Chaplin reel), a praxinoscope, and another coin-op 3D viewer.

Unfortunately, I sold a lot of 3D items about 7 years ago when I was buying a house, including some Tru-Vue strips & cards that were film-related. I still have a lot of old stereo-views but those pre-date the movie industry. I have a Stereo-Realist camera and have taken hundreds of 3D slides....though it's been years since I've used it. I really need to take it to Capitolfest this Summer to get some 3D shots of the theater.

Your clean up on the views looks good. I was thinking about doing the same thing once I finish scanning all of them. The cards are stiff and curling so they are a pain to scan. I will upload another set later today.

bobfells

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 5:10 pm

Russ,

I look forward to your future posts. I continue to be surprised that the film studios apparently did not tie in with the stereoview companies to promote their movies, especially the big attractions like BEN-HUR. This thought is what got me started on attempting convert vintage movie stills into a simulated type of 3D - this what the studios should have done. Aside from a few slides such as the set construction of THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME, there seems to be nothing. But we're trying to fix that!

Lon Chaney as Quasimodo in 3D Fells-O-Vision:

Little Caesar

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 5:34 pm

Russ,
Thanks for posting the Photoscopes. They are very interesting. Everytime I visit Disneyland (about once every couple of years), I always make sure to take a few minutes to enjoy the photoscopes at the Main Street Arcade. Last time, I remember being able to see a series of photoscopes featuring Al St. John, Bull Montana, and a bunch of monkeys!

Bob,
It is surprising that there weren't more stereoviews published in relation to motion picture subjects. There were a few though. Along with "The Hunchback of Notre Dame", I think that there were some stereoviews published for "The Phantom of the Opera." I also remember seeing a Jobyna Ralston stereoview (not converted to anaglyph) in one of the photo gallerys on the New Line Harold Lloyd DVD set. When I get some time tonight, I will look for it. If I find it, I'll take a screen capture and post it here.

I found the above images on a 3D website. They are supposedly taken from a stereocard from Cecil B. DeMille's collection. Alas, it was converted to anaglyph (I hope you have a pair of anaglyph glasses)!

I also found this stereoview of Will Rogers on another 3D site.
PreviousNext

Return to Image Gallery