Old Hollywood Photos in 3D

Posts of a primarily image-based nature including galleries, ID requests, etc.
  • Author

bobfells

Re: Old Hollywood Photos in 3D

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Zoetrope wrote:For anyone that is really interested in viewing Stereoviews on their computer screen you may want to purchase a cheap Lorgnette viewer.

This company http://www.berezin.com/3d/3dglasses.htm sells them for $3.50. They also have a "Web Survival Pack" that includes 2 sets of anaglyph (red/blue) glasses, 2 pair of pulfrich glasses (I'll be adding more about this format later) and a lorgnette viewer - All for $5.00. Please note: I have never purchased from the company and there are others that sell various types of 3D glasses/viewers.

Excellent idea. Let me suggest checking with your local public library if it has any books on 3D photography. Chances are a set of glasses will be included. The anaglyph glasses are those red/blue things that represent another method of 3D. The system we've been using on this thread, at least until the previous post at the end of the last page, is the century-old low-tech stereograph approach. Unless you need reading glasses, I don't think you need lenses in these viewers but they may help beginners sort of like training wheels on a bike.

Here are two more where I'm experimenting with yet another technique. Does the Chaney HUNCHBACK have more depth than the same image in a previous post?

Here's a new one from BEN-HUR. This would be complicated to color so I thought I would check out the 3D aspect first:

Zoetrope

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 8:49 pm

bobfells wrote:Excellent idea. Let me suggest checking with your local public library if it has any books on 3D photography. Chances are a set of glasses will be included. The anaglyph glasses are those red/blue things that represent another method of 3D. The system we've been using on this thread, at least until the previous post at the end of the last page, is the century-old low-tech stereograph approach. Unless you need reading glasses, I don't think you need lenses in these viewers but they may help beginners sort of like training wheels on a bike.

Here are two more where I'm experimenting with yet another technique. Does the Chaney HUNCHBACK have more depth than the same image in a previous post?

Here's a new one from BEN-HUR. This would be complicated to color so I thought I would check out the 3D aspect first:

I've never had much luck free-viewing stereoviews, especially if I want to look at the view for a length of time. The lenses in the lorgnette (and other viewers) are angled so they force the sight lines to be parallel.

I don't notice much difference in depth between the two versions of the Hunchback view. That is an excellent shot to use since it already gives a strong impression of depth due to the "floating" platform. The right edge of the left frame in the newer pair you put up is cut off a bit more than I would normally do, but since the frames are wider than the usual stereo width the edges don't show much when I look at the view anyway. Have you tried cropping any of the photos so they are more in line with the frame width in classic stero pairs? That might make it easier to view since you can clearly see the "middle image". (I hope that makes sense).
The BEN-HUR shot has some obvious depth in the background and the dark area on the left, but the middle and right side have a lot going on so it's harder to see.

Zoetrope

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Here is the next set of Photoscope views:

Zoetrope

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 8:53 pm

Zoetrope

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Zoetrope

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 9:21 pm

Little Caesar wrote:Russ,
Thanks for posting the Photoscopes. They are very interesting. Everytime I visit Disneyland (about once every couple of years), I always make sure to take a few minutes to enjoy the photoscopes at the Main Street Arcade. Last time, I remember being able to see a series of photoscopes featuring Al St. John, Bull Montana, and a bunch of monkeys!

Bob,
It is surprising that there weren't more stereoviews published in relation to motion picture subjects. There were a few though. Along with "The Hunchback of Notre Dame", I think that there were some stereoviews published for "The Phantom of the Opera." I also remember seeing a Jobyna Ralston stereoview (not converted to anaglyph) in one of the photo gallerys on the New Line Harold Lloyd DVD set. When I get some time tonight, I will look for it. If I find it, I'll take a screen capture and post it here.

I found the above images on a 3D website. They are supposedly taken from a stereocard from Cecil B. DeMille's collection. Alas, it was converted to anaglyph (I hope you have a pair of anaglyph glasses)!

I also found this stereoview of Will Rogers on another 3D site.

LC,
I have seen the Will Rogers stereoview quite a few times in the past but this was the first time I've seen the DeMille anaglyph shot. Thanks!
It's great that Disneyland kept their arcade. They got rid of the one in Disney World, though a few of the coin-ops are in the train station. I have a video I took in the 80s of all the machines they had. I even filmed each of the mutoscopes playing.

I think that the lack of movie-related stereo-views is due to bad timing for the most part. The classic era of stereo-views was dying out as the movie industry was starting. I would venture to guess that the movies were part of the reason for the decline. Why look at a static photo of a faraway place (even in 3-D) when you could see it on film? The home 3D market picked up again when View-master hit the market in 1939. View-master was originally marketed to adults and most of the reels were scenic. It took a while before they really started producing many reels based on the entertainment industry. They did do reels for some of the 1950s 3D films. I used to have a couple of the reels for those.

bobfells

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 9:48 pm

Back to the drawing board for me, both in terms of where to alter the image and also saving the double image in the sharpest-looking format possible. Up until now, I have been pasting the dual photos into a Word page, saving it as a pdf, then opening it in Photoshop and saving that as a jpg. And the jpg is what I've been posting here via Photobucket, a further bit of degradation I'm sure. But going back and looking at the image quality in Word, then in jpg, there is a noticeable decline in clarity.

So again, here are HUNCHBACK and BEN HUR with a different perspective and a direct to Photoshop for pairing the two images and saving as jpg. Hopefully, you will see a better 3D effect and sharper images:

Little Caesar

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 10:54 pm

Russ,
I haven't been to Walt Disney World since the late 90s, but I've been told that the Main Street there has been gutted almost entirely for retail space. Quite the shame. However, Disneyland luckily still has the photoscopes and mutascopes (I remember looking at Charlie Chaplin and William S. Hart mutascopes the last time I was there).

Bob,
That Ben-Hur conversion is terrific! I believe that's your best work to date. I'm not seeing much of a difference in your Hunchback conversion, but I thought it was pretty good to begin with.

Here's a cute shot I was able to make of Colleen Moore from the surviving reel of "Flaming Youth":
Never cry over spilt milk, because it may have been poisoned. - W.C. Fields

Little Caesar

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 4:28 am

I didn't locate the Jobyna Ralston stereocard (I'm going to assume that I was misremembering on that point), but I did find these nice stereocards from Girl Shy on the dvd. I think that they're from the deleted "Pollyanna" fantasy sequence. Whether these were published or were privately done I do not know.

JFK

Hollywood in 3D Viewmasters:Buster;Groucho;Gracie

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 8:04 am

Ed Sullivan, George Burns & Gracie Allen, Liberace, Groucho Marx, Ann Baker,
Charlie McCarthy and Edgar Bergen, Donald O'Connor

Red Skelton, Eve Arden, Tony Martin, Jimmy Durante,
Diana Lynn, Danny Thomas, Richard Denning

Jack Benny, Harriet & Ozzie Nelson, Bob Crosby, Connie Haines,
Pinky Lee, Sid Caesar, Art Linkletter

Buster Keaton
Last edited by JFK on Sun May 20, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 30 times in total.

bobfells

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 10:02 am

JFK,

All three slides are terrific but the Pickford one is a little problematic in a way that can only happen with 3D. It appears to me that Mary is in the background and the stars & clouds are in the foreground. Shouldn't the layers be just the opposite?

bobfells

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 10:07 am

Little Caesar wrote:I didn't locate the Jobyna Ralston stereocard (I'm going to assume that I was misremembering on that point), but I did find these nice stereocards from Girl Shy on the dvd. I think that they're from the deleted "Pollyanna" fantasy sequence. Whether these were published or were privately done I do not know.

LC,

This is exactly the type of movie tie-in slide that I thought the studios would promote but my guess is that these were made privately. Lloyd was a big 3D enthusiast and his granddaughter (I think) published a book some years back of HL's stereoview work. Thanks for posting these.

fwtep

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 10:25 am

bobfells wrote:JFK,

All three slides are terrific but the Pickford one is a little problematic in a way that can only happen with 3D. It appears to me that Mary is in the background and the stars & clouds are in the foreground. Shouldn't the layers be just the opposite?

The Pickford one worked for me. Try swapping left and right in your photo editing software or cross your eyes.

Zoetrope

Re: Harry, Mary. and Bill

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 10:37 am

JFK wrote:The original photos are on the left

The left and right images are reversed in all 3 of the views, so you would need to use the cross-eyed free viewing method to view them or save them and reverse the images as FWTEP mentioned.

Zoetrope

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 10:42 am

bobfells wrote:LC,

This is exactly the type of movie tie-in slide that I thought the studios would promote but my guess is that these were made privately. Lloyd was a big 3D enthusiast and his granddaughter (I think) published a book some years back of HL's stereoview work. Thanks for posting these.

She actually released a couple of books of his stereoviews. One of Hollywood photos and one of nudes. They are both great and are pretty cheap on Amazon.

bobfells

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 6:38 pm

Tonight finds me refining the process - and hopefully the depth perception - as well as maintaining the sharpness of the original images. I've reprocessed several that I've posted here but to avoid boring A/B comparisons, here are some new ones that hopefully benefits from the learning curve:

Little Caesar

PostTue Mar 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Bob and Russ,
Both of your recent efforts are great. I especially enjoyed the Valentino and Fields stereoviews.

Here's Clara in 3D!

Here's a stereoview from "The Thin Man":

bobfells

PostTue Mar 26, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks LC. I noticed that JFK added a Marx Bros. above that's quite effective. Let me suggest that you give Strongheart and Lady Julie another chance by enlarging the slide a little. I thought the 3D effect was nice.

Here's Clara Bow again:

Lon Chaney in character from SHADOWS (1922):

Inspired by JFK, here's the Marx Bros. in Duck Soup (1933):

Rin Tin Tin and Nanette circa 1927:

bobfells

PostWed Mar 27, 2013 8:05 pm

Here's Norma Shearer courtesy of Gagman:

bobfells

Re: Harry,Mary,Stan & Ollie,Buster,Harpo,Bill & Roscoe

PostFri Mar 29, 2013 4:20 pm

JFK,

I really like your new avatar - nice going! However, your more recent experiments in 3D suggest that individuals should be trained and licensed prior to being permitted to use this particular software! My guess is that you're using too many layers and thereby getting some bizarre results. Oliver Hardy's detached and floating hands did it for me! :D

bobfells

PostFri Mar 29, 2013 5:13 pm

In observance of Good Friday, we offer this scene from DeMille's THE KING OF KINGS (1927) with George Siegmann as Barabas, Victor Varconi as Pontius Pilate, and H.B. Warner as the Christ:

Zoetrope

PostFri Mar 29, 2013 8:37 pm

JFK,
I think you have done very well with your 3D views. I think the issue with Oliver Hardy's hands may have just been the way they were in the original photo since your barely moved them in relation to the area behind them. The depth really shows in the relationship of their heads to the wall behind them. You're doing a great job filling in the background area where you have moved foreground elements.

silentfilm

PostSat Mar 30, 2013 1:59 pm

Here's an oddity that I picked up today, a 4 inch by 2.5 inch stereo view card. I have no idea what device was used to view this. It shows George Fitzmaurice directing Colleen Moore in Lilac Time (1928).

Zoetrope

PostSat Mar 30, 2013 2:54 pm

silentfilm wrote:Image
Here's an oddity that I picked up today, a 4 inch by 2.5 inch stereo view card. I have no idea what device was used to view this. It shows George Fitzmaurice directing Colleen Moore in Lilac Time (1928).

That's great! Based on the height and the extra-wide septum (space between views) it may have been made for a viewer like the one below. There were some books of stereoviews that came with viewers that also had unusual sizes.

bobfells

PostSat Mar 30, 2013 3:39 pm

Bruce,

That's a great stereo view that begs the question of why more weren't taken for major films. The space between the two images becomes a problem when free viewing so I edited it out, airbrushed out some blemishes and added a tad of brightness to the image.

JFK

Bea Lillie

PostSun Mar 31, 2013 8:42 pm

Lillie

Last edited by JFK on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:52 am, edited 27 times in total.

bobfells

PostSun Mar 31, 2013 8:58 pm

JFK,

Your layering of the background with the dancers clearly at a distance from the arches is excellent. I don't have the software you are using but would suggest not layering the foreground. This is where the trouble seems to be.

Here's Marcelline Day and Clara Bow in THE WILD PARTY (1929). I suspect that your ability to layer would work wonders with the two levels of walls behind them:

bobfells

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 3:03 pm

JFK,

Your Chaplin-Turpin is excellent as well as the Chase-Todd (although they look a bit like they're dancing in the air). The Lon Chaney is terrific.

Here I've taken Bruce Calvert's authentic stereoview from LILAC TIME and added bobfellscolor. The only problem with doing a color transfer of a genuine stereoview is that I have to color everything twice:

Little Caesar

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 7:29 pm

JFK and Bob,
I've been enjoying your stereoviews. I have especially enjoyed the Bow/Day, Chase/Todd, and Chaplin images.

Here are a few more "reconstructed" stereoviews taken from successive frames:

bobfells

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 9:15 pm

LC,

The two Keatons on top of the tender is great with landscape really coming alive in the background. The two Barrymores don't give much depth but they are attractive - Arsene Lupin?
PreviousNext

Return to Image Gallery