ID Request From Int'l Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum

Posts of a primarily image-based nature including galleries, ID requests, etc.
  • Author

KatrinaK

ID Request From Int'l Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 4:46 pm

I've followed this group for a while but never posted... until now! The International Tennis Hall of Fame and Museum (I am not affiliated) is trying to ID celebrities in a photograph and I know there are people here with supernatural powers who may be able to help! Here's the museum's request:

Anybody a huge lover/fan of the Golden Age of Hollywood in the 1920s, and their stars and starlets? If so, can you help?

I am working on finalizing some details for an upcoming exhibit set to be installed next month titled “Tennis and Hollywood.” I have this spectacular original photograph from our archives of celebrities in the stands at the 1927 Pacific Southwest Tennis Tournament (see attached). I am 99.99% certain that the man in the photograph is John Barrymore, but discussion is still open regarding the women with him.

It has turned into a fascinating exploration of countless online images of various actresses, and intriguing dialogue amongst our staff. Some possibilities that have been thrown about for the woman on the right (to JB's left) are Norma Talmadge, Constance Talmadge, Clara Bow, Mary Pickford or Lois Wilson. For the woman on the far left, suggestions thus far have included Norma Shearer, Maria Corda, and Ann Harding. Unfortunately, the lady at the back's face is mostly obscured, leaving identification likely impossible. I am open to other suggestions, or better yet, if anybody can make a definitive identification, I would be extremely grateful.

I already know that some of their speculation is completely off base. I know who ISN'T in the photo. Does anyone know who IS?

Thanks for your help!
Attachments
ldrt-13Qxv1YAUcgrOBAsA7G7LM.jpg
ldrt-13Qxv1YAUcgrOBAsA7G7LM.jpg (115.82 KiB) Viewed 1893 times

bobfells

Re: ID Request From Int'l Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 6:24 pm

The man is Rod LaRocque and the woman next to him is his wife, Vilma Banky. They were both extremely popular film stars during the 1920s whose marriage survived for the rest of their lives. No dummies, they later made a fortune in So. Calif. real estate.

silentfilm

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 9:48 pm

Bob's right. That's definitely Rod La Rocque, and it's probably Vilma to the left of him.

missdupont

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 10:21 pm

Looks like Lois Wilson below and on the right of LaRocque, and possibly Dorothy Mackaill lower and to the left of Banky.

KatrinaK

PostFri Mar 29, 2013 12:06 am

Thanks, everyone! I clearly came to the right place!

Do you think there's any chance that could be Blanche Sweet on the left?

missdupont

PostFri Mar 29, 2013 11:10 am

No, I don't see anything of Sweet in it, looks more like Joan Blondell than Sweet.

Return to Image Gallery