Adventures in Autographland

Posts of a primarily image-based nature including galleries, ID requests, etc.
  • Author

JFK

Adventures in Autographland

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 6:23 am

Questions in Autograph Shopping #1: RAYMOND GRIFFITH

A RAYMOND GRIFFITH AUTOGRAPH SOLD ON EBAY MARCH 13 2013 FOR $24.99

On APRIL 17, 2013, (SEEMINGLY) the same item was listed
on two separate websites for two different prices...$45.00 and $65.00.
What gives?

$45 G. Age Autographs BUT NOW, Griffith signature-no longer listed

$65 C. Entertainment Autographs Griffith signature-BUT NOW (12/11/2013), NEW GRIFFITH ITEM LISTED AT NEW PRICE OF $75

Last edited by JFK on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:59 am, edited 10 times in total.

silentfilm

Re: Questions in Autograph Shopping: RAYMOND GRIFFITH

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 11:22 am

I'm not an autograph expert, but I suspect that these dealers are selling this autograph on consignment, hence the different websites, locations and prices.

I don't collect autographs, partially because there are so many fakes out there, but I do have a probably authentic Griffith autograph, shown on an album page below.

JFK

New California Autograph Law Rocks Collecting World?

PostSat Oct 01, 2016 10:53 am

New California Autograph Law As Interpreted by a Book Seller

If I understand correctly the blog linked above, and if the writer has the facts straight,
dealers selling signed items for over $5.00 within- or from- the state of California,
or to someone living within the state of California, must provide a COA
"Guess what? AB1570 requires YOU, {for example} as the owner of the painting, to guarantee its authenticity. And you don’t issue the COA? You can be liable for TEN TIMES damages, plus attorneys fees.

Sources
“Your name and address has to go on the certificate”: Section 1739.7b(8) says the COA must “Indicate whether the item was obtained or purchased from a third party. If so, indicate the name and address of this third party.”

“Why do I have to issue a COA?”: Section 1739.7a(4)a: “Dealer includes an auctioneer who sells collectibles at a public auction, and also includes persons who are consignors or representatives or agents of auctioneers.”"

Update: I just made my daily check of the Evanier blog, and he has written on the same topic

Return to Image Gallery