Lost and Neglected Comics,Comedy Scripters, & Directors

Posts of a primarily image-based nature including galleries, ID requests, etc.
  • Author

JFK

Few betterer than Lederer

PostThu Dec 04, 2014 1:44 pm

Marion Davies' live-in nephew, friend to Hawks, Harpo, and Hecht,
Orson Welles' unlikeliest buddy and neighbor (while wed to Welles' first spouse),
Tony award winning screenwriter Charles Lederer.

Image...Image
Last edited by JFK on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:09 am, edited 9 times in total.

JFK

Wanda Wiley:47 Shorts in 4 years

PostFri Dec 05, 2014 3:18 pm

Wanda Wiley's film credits: 47 Shorts in 4 years -Any on DVD?
For more info on her, see this thread....or click to see A Speedy Marriage

Complete Descriptive Catalogue of
Kodascope Library of Motion Pictures 16mm ca. 1940

Click 3 catalogue pages below for larger images---- to see (Underlined) films now lost (?)
Playing The Swell .... A Speedy Marriage
Her Lucky Leap
........Painless Pain
Yearning For Love
...Going Good

Image ImageImageImage
Last edited by JFK on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.

JFK

George Oppenheimer

PostSun Dec 07, 2014 2:40 am

August 29:… Georgie Opp[enheimer] called about six and we went to see Holiday Inn….. We were both bored by Holiday Inn which is
the type of picture which, while not unpleasant in the least, makes one ashamed of being connected with the pictures. Afterwards we
stopped at Romanoff’s and there Jerry and Eve Kern sat. Jerry looking the sweet, frail old musician he distinctly is not. George
walked up to him, “I’m so glad to see you, Jerry- I’ve enlisted.” “As what?” Kern asked, “A hostess?” “In the Army,” George answered.
“You mean to tell me you’re going to carry a gun?” “No,” George said. “Well what are you going to do, dig latrines?” “I am waiting to
get a commission,” George said. “Well, why didn’t you tell me you were a profiteer.”

c
George Oppenheimer, who finished his career with a twenty year stint as a critic, co-founded The Viking Press in 1925,
had 4
Broadway shows, and, in his Oscar-nominated quarter century in Hollywood, co-wrote three Marx Brothers films,
Flywheel, Shyster, and Flywheel, and ten Topper scripts with Stephen Sondheim. Yet he lacks a Wikipedia page of his own.

ImageImage Image
The Thin Man (TV Series) (1957) 1 episode Topper (TV Series) (1953 - 1955) 25 episodes The Great Diamond Robbery Tonight We Sing Decameron Nights Mr. & Mrs. North (TV Series) (1952-1953) 4 episodes Anything Can Happen The Ford Theatre Hour (TV Series) (1951) 24 episodes Born to Be Bad Perfect Strangers Adventures of Don Juan Killer McCoy Undercurrent Easy to Wed Blonde Fever Bathing Beauty Slightly Dangerous The Youngest Profession The War Against Mrs. Hadley A Yank at Eton Pacific Rendezvous Two-Faced Woman The Feminine Touch The Big Store Blonde Inspiration The Wild Man of Borneo I Love You Again Strange Cargo Broadway Melody of 1940 Balalaika These Glamour Girls Lady of the Tropics Honolulu Three Loves Has Nancy The Crowd Roars A Yank at Oxford Paradise for Three Man-Proof Nothing Sacred I'll Take Romance The Bride Wore Red London by Night Married Before Breakfast A Day at the Races The Last of Mrs. Cheyney Libeled Lady We Went to College A Night at the Opera Rendezvous No More Ladies Roman Scandals

George's Old Flame (1954)
Script: Oppenheimer and Sondheim Commercial: John Wayne

Click to Hear George Oppenheimer on Dorothy Parker and the Dog Show

Last edited by JFK on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:11 am, edited 7 times in total.

JFK

Jack Barty:Roach All-Star and Laurel+Hardy;Chase;Todd

PostTue Dec 09, 2014 3:49 pm

Jack Barty (1888-1942) made 21 films, 9 of them for Hal Roach... first film below is not on imdb Image

Last edited by JFK on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:13 am, edited 10 times in total.

JFK

Fred Stone Scared Crows

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 7:40 am

ImageImageImage
Fred Stone- of Alice Adams, The Trail of the Lonesome Pine, and The Westerner- previously was teamed with
David Montgomery (for 22 years, til death did them part) in minstelry, vaudeville, Broadway , recordings, and 3 silents.
Stone and Montgomery were the first Scarecrow and Tin Man of Oz (1902).
Stone subsequently partnered on Broadway with nephew Milburn, and daughters Paula, Carol, and Dorothy.

Click to Hear Maxwell House Good News (07-29-1930)
"Wizard of Oz Stars" (with Fred Stone 36:36-40:50)

Last edited by JFK on Thu May 07, 2015 9:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

silentfilm

Re: Lost and Neglected Comics,Comedy Scripters, & Directors

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 12:09 pm

Fred Stone in Trail of the Lonesome Pine (1936).

JFK

Claude Binyon Wesley Ruggles

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Twelve Films Together - A Variety Writer ("Wall Street Lays An Egg") and A Chaplin Actor Turned Director
ImageImage
Claude Binyon........................................................................Wesley Ruggles
Writer ................................................................................Film Director
• 1964 Kisses for My President (screenplay) ........................London Town (1946)
• 1962 Satan Never Sleeps (screenplay) ............................See Here, Private Hargrove (1944)
• 1962 Alcoa Premiere (TV Series) ........................................Slightly Dangerous (1943)
• - Mr. Easy (1962) ... (writer)........................................Somewhere I'll Find You (1942)
• 1960 Pepe ...................................................................... You Belong to Me (1941)
• 1960 North to Alaska (screenplay) ....................................................Arizona (1940)
• 1958 Rally 'Round the Flag, Boys! (screenplay) ...............Too Many Husbands (1940)
• 1958 Sing Boy Sing (writer) ..................................................Invitation to Happiness (1939)
• 1956 You Can't Run Away from It ......................................Sing, You Sinners (1938)
• 1956 Screen Directors Playhouse (TV Series) .......................True Confession (1937)
• - It's a Most Unusual Day (1956) ... (writer).......................I Met Him in Paris (1937)
1955 The United States Steel Hour (TV Series) .......................Valiant Is the Word for Carrie (1936)
• - Shoot It Again (1955) ... (story).........................................The Bride Comes Home (1935)
• 1954 Woman's World ......................................................Accent on Youth (1935)
• 1953 Down Among the Sheltering Palms .......................Mississippi (1935, fill-in director - uncredited)
• 1952 Dreamboat (screenplay) ..............................................The Gilded Lily (1935)
• 1952 Aaron Slick from Punkin Crick .......................Shoot the Works (1934)
• 1950 Emergency Wedding (screenplay) .......................Bolero (1934)
• 1950 My Blue Heaven .............................................................I'm No Angel (1933)
• 1950 Stella ..........................................................College Humor (1933)
• 1950 Mother Didn't Tell Me (screenplay) .......................The Monkey's Paw (1933)
• 1948 The Saxon Charm (screenplay) .......................No Man of Her Own (1932)
• 1947 Suddenly It's Spring (screenplay) .......................Roar of the Dragon (1932)
• 1946 Cross My Heart ................................................Are These Our Children (1931)
• 1946 The Well-Groomed Bride (screenplay) .......................Cimarron (1931, uncredited)
• 1945 Incendiary Blonde (screenplay) .......................The Sea Bat (1930, with Lionel Barrymore, uncredited)
• 1944 Going My Way/Holiday Inn .......................Honey (1930)
• 1944 And the Angels Sing (Story by) .......................Condemned (1929)
• 1943 This Is the Army (screenplay) .......................Street Girl (1929, uncredited)
• 1943 Dixie (adaptation) ...............................................Port of Dreams (1929)
• 1943 No Time for Love (writer) .......................Scandal (1929)
• 1942 Holiday Inn (screenplay) .......................Finders Keepers (1928)
• 1942 Take a Letter, Darling (screen play) .......................The Fourflusher (1928)
• 1941 You Belong to Me (screenplay) .......................Silk Stockings (1927)
• 1940 Arizona (screen play) ....................................Beware of Widows (1927)
• 1940 Too Many Husbands (screen play) .......................Breaking Records (1927, Short)
• 1939 Invitation to Happiness (screenplay) .......................Flashing Oars (1927, Short)
• 1938 Sing, You Sinners (story/screenplay) .......................The Cinder Path (1927, Short)
• 1937 True Confession (screenplay) .......................The Relay (1927, Short)
• 1937 I Met Him in Paris ...............................................Around the Bases (1927, Short)
• 1936 Valiant Is the Word for Carrie .......................The Last Lap (1926, Short)
• 1936 The Princess Comes Across .......................The Collegians (1926, Short)
• 1936 Love Before Breakfast (story) .......................A Man of Quality (1926)
• 1935 The Bride Comes Home (screenplay) .......................The Kick-Off (1926)
• 1935 Accent on Youth (screenplay) .......................Hooked at the Altar (1926, Short)
• 1935 The Daring Young Man (story) .......................California Here We Come (1926, Short)
• 1935 Stolen Harmony ..............................................................The Plastic Age (1925)
• 1935 Mississippi (adapted by) .......................Broadway Lady (1925)
• 1935 The Gilded Lily (screenplay) .......................Miss Me Again (1925, Short)
• 1934 It's a Gift (contributor to treatment) .......................Don Coo Coo (1925, Short)
• 1934 Ladies Should Listen ............................................Barbara Snitches (1925, Short)
• 1934 The Old Fashioned Way (contribution) .......................What Price Gloria? (1925, Short)
• 1934 Shoot the Works ...........................................The Merry Kiddo (1925, Short)
• 1934 Many Happy Returns (screenplay) .......................Three Bases East (1925, Short)
• 1934 Search for Beauty ...............................Madam Sans Gin (1925, Short)
• 1933 Girl Without a Room (writer) .......................The Covered Flagon (1925, Short)
• 1933 The Way to Love (additional dialogue) .......................The Fast Male (1925, Short)
• 1933 College Humor (writer) .......................The Great Decide (1925, Short)
• 1933 Gambling Ship (adaptation) .......................Merton of the Goofies (1925, Short)
• 1932 If I Had a Million ............................................He Who Gets Rapped (1925, Short)
Director ....................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...The Pacemakers (1925, Short)
• 1956 Screen Directors Playhouse (TV) ................Welcome Granger (1925, Short)
• - It's a Most Unusual Day (1956) ....................The Age of Innocence (1924)
• 1953 Here Come the Girls ......................................Slippy McGee (1923)
• 1952 Dreamboat .....................................................The Heart Raider (1923)
• 1952 Aaron Slick from Punkin Crick .......................The Remittance Woman (1923)
• 1950 Stella .............................................................Mr. Billings Spends His Dime (1923)
• 1950 Mother Didn't Tell Me ......................................If I Were Queen (1922)
• 1948 Family Honeymoon ........................................Wild Honey (1922)
• 1948 The Saxon Charm .........................,,,,,,,.........Over the Wire (1921)
.................................................................................Uncharted Seas (1921)
................................................................................The Greater Claim (1921)
................................................................................Love (1920)
................................................................................The Leopard Woman (1920)
................................................................................The Desperate Hero (1920)
................................................................................Sooner or Later (1920)
................................................................................Piccadilly Jim (1919)
................................................................................The Winchester Woman (1919)
................................................................................The Blind Adventure (1918)
................................................................................He Had to Camouflage (1917, Short)
................................................................................Bobby's Bravery (1917, Short)
................................................................................For France (1917)
................................................................................Bobby, Movie Director (1917, Short)
................................................................................Actor
................................................................................Triple Trouble (1918, Short) - Crook
................................................................................Her Torpedoed Love (1917, Short) - Messenger Inside the House
................................................................................Behind the Screen (1916, Short) - Actor
................................................................................The Pawnshop (1916, Short) - Client with Ring
................................................................................Beatrice Fairfax (1916) - #15 Wristwatches
................................................................................The Floorwalker (1916, Short) - Policeman
................................................................................Police (1916, Short) - The Crook
................................................................................A Submarine Pirate (1915, Short) - Inventor's Accomplice / Sub Officer
................................................................................Burlesque on Carmen (1915, Short) - A Vagabond
................................................................................Her Painted Hero (1915, Short) - Effeminate Party Guest
................................................................................A Night in the Show (1915, Short) - Second Man in Balcony Front Row
................................................................................I Shanghaied (1915, Short) - Shipowner
................................................................................Bank Customer (1915, Short) - Bank Customer
................................................................................A Lover's Lost Control (1915, Short) - Shoe Clerk
................................................................................Gussle Tied to Trouble (1915, Short) - Man with Monocle
................................................................................Gussle's Backward Way (1915, Short) - Man with Monocle
................................................................................Gussle Rivals Jonah (1915, Short) - Ship Steward / Ship Passenger
................................................................................Gussle's Wayward Path (1915, Short) - Clergyman
................................................................................Caught in a Park (1915, Short) - The Cop
................................................................................. Producer
.................................................................................The Incredible World of James Bond (TV documentary) (1965, associate producer)
Last edited by JFK on Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 17 times in total.

JFK

Matty Roubert

PostSun Dec 21, 2014 1:30 am

Matty Roubert (1907–1973) (205 acting credits; 61 stunt credits) was for a time a silent comedy star- even being directed by Lehrman at Keystone. His talkie roles included many Westerns and at least 46 bit parts as a newsboy

ImageImage
ImageImage

More Worlds to Conquer/Unfinished Rainbows (1940)
An Alcoa industrial film with Roubert, John Hamilton, and Alan Ladd.
The same year Ladd made two other industrials: Blame it on Love and Meat and Romance.
(Roubert has no imdb credit for More Worlds to Conquer/Unfinished Rainbows )
Last edited by JFK on Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 8 times in total.

JFK

Burr McIntosh-Publisher+Wallingford/Roach Actor

PostSat Dec 27, 2014 4:32 am

Image Image
Best known for giving Lillian Gish the cold shoulder, Broadway star McIntosh made 67 other films:
among them were the Wallingfold series, a few Roach shorts, The Rogue Song and Hallelujah, I'm a Bum.

McIntosh was also a photographer, and published his own monthly photo magazine from 1903-1910;
17 boxes of his celebrity-skewed pictures are deposited at the New York Historical Society

McIntosh's father's club was linked to the Johnstown Flood (2,200 died), his actor/singer sister Nancy
(photo, above right) lived with the W. S. Gilberts and inherited their entire esate.

Some McIntosh films online :
The Bang Sun Engine (1915) (Wallingford short) ... Charley Chase A One Mama Man (1927)...Lila Lee The Adorable Cheat (1928)

Last edited by JFK on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

JFK

Billy B Van

PostSun Jan 04, 2015 3:12 am

.............. .A Van Pre-Vaudeville Poster ....................His Self-Published Book Image -------Image

Billy B Van -..- In Film -..-On Broadway-..-Click to Hear Van Sing-..-And With Bob & Ray
Is this his only surviving silent?
"Vintage photo of Billy B. Van (front and center) with others at his Georges Mills studio

The Lucky Hoodoo
“This silent movie was filmed in Georges Mills, and was probably one of Van’s attempts to make Georges Mills the Hollywood of the East,” according to Ron Garceau, president of the Sunapee Historical Society.
“Billy B. Van is cast as a hapless farm hand, who clumsily gets in trouble with the farmer, tries to woo the farmer’s daughter, fends off the villain, and in the end comes out the winner! It’s a humorous skit and so far, the only existing Billy B. Van movie we have found,” says Garceau. “He tried to start the ‘Hollywood of the East’ there, but was nearly run out of town after he tried to rename the town ‘Van Harbor.’ He moved to Newport, where he claimed residence the rest of his life,” explains Garceau, who provided the black and white photo above. The movie is about 24 minutes long and was found by someone in the Upper Valley who provided a DVD copy, according to Garceau. For more information about Billy B. Van and the Sunapee Historical Society, programs, membership and volunteer opportunities, contact Ron Garceau ...
mndean wrote:I was just reading the latest Variety issues at IA and wasn't Billy B. Van selling soap? I remember seeing ads for Pine Tree Soap or somesuch with his name attached.
Last edited by JFK on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:17 am, edited 5 times in total.

JFK

Doc Rockwell

PostMon Jan 05, 2015 12:27 am

The son of forgotten Doc Rockwell- the Broadway/Vaudeville/Film comedian -
was the ill-starred
founder of the American Nazi Party

Doc Rockwell was a great friend of Fred Allen- he pops up in the Allen bios and letters-
but this incomplete episode, and this audio fragment, seem to be his only Allen guest shots on the web

The Fred Allen Show. 06-05-1940
Doc Rockwell, Harry Von Zell, Minerva Pious, Portland Hoffa,Charlie Cantor, John Brown.
Texaco Star Theater 05-30-1943
Other performers in the sketch sound like John Brown, Charlie Cantor, and Alan Reed.

Last edited by JFK on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

JFK

Lester Allen

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 3:58 pm

Lester Allen (11/17/91 – 11/6/49) made films with/by Mae West, Lubitsch, Mann, Minnelli, Stroheim, & The 3 Stooges
and did Broadway shows with/by W C Fields, Ted Healy, Wodehouse, Kalmar & Ruby, Gershwin
The Pusher-in-the-Face : Lester Allen's Lost Scott Fitzgerald film
Released in 1929- Studio's 1st Talkie ?- Prints still existed 1936 (Kodascope Talking-Film Library 1936)
Image...Pusher-in-the-Face (1929)...Image
Direction Robert Florey Screenplay/Story F. Scott Fitzgerald
Lester Allen Estelle Taylor Lillian Walker Raymond Hitchcock Preston Foster Reginald Owen

Image Image

Chicago Tribune 5/19/1927.........................................................................St Petersburg Times 1/14/1950
Lester Allen at Sam Bernard death scene....................................................(Lester Allen died crossing street to
Lester Allen at Sam Bernard death scene....................................................work at Bud Abbott's Back Stage Club)
Last edited by JFK on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

JFK

Blanche Payson

PostFri Jan 09, 2015 10:48 am

Last edited by JFK on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:39 am, edited 6 times in total.

JFK

Minnie

PostSat Jan 10, 2015 5:16 am

Minnie had at least 6 uncredited film roles.

Here she is at home and in court.
Click for bigger images

ImageImageImage
Last edited by JFK on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 8 times in total.

JFK

George Robey (1869–1954):Olivier's Falstaff

PostSat Jan 10, 2015 8:23 am

Music Hall star George Robey, in 41 Films/TV Episodes from 1900, played Sancho Panza in a silent and a talkie.
Last edited by JFK on Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:12 am, edited 5 times in total.

telical

PostSun Jan 11, 2015 9:28 am

Anyone have an opinion on the most intellectually gifted of these obscure comics, comedy scripters, and directors?

JFK

Toto, Too ? Toto, Too !

PostMon Mar 23, 2015 10:35 pm

Image Image Image

Last edited by JFK on Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

silentfilm

PostTue Mar 24, 2015 11:36 am

Here's Clyde Cook in Wandering Papas (1925) with Adolphe Millar, Sue "Bugs" O'Neill, and Tyler Brooke. Unfortunately, Oliver Hardy is not in my photo.

JFK

Dorothy Seastrom -Lloyd Hamilton Tragic Co-Star

PostSun Dec 04, 2016 12:59 pm

Death attributed, in last image.... to "dieting fad."
ImageImage..Image

boblipton

PostSun Dec 04, 2016 1:57 pm

It looks like she could afford to lose some of those hips.

Bob
His plagiarism was limited only by his faulty technique.

-- Peter Schickele

JFK

DORIS MAY (1902-1984)

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 4:39 pm

DORIS MAY
THIRTY FILMS FROM 1917-1927
SIGNED PHOTOS & TRADE ADS
(WITH BULL MONTANA IN 1ST PHOTO)
CLICK IMAGES FOR EYE-SMEARINGLY-LARGE VERSIONS

ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImageImage