Jane Imlay?

Posts of a primarily image-based nature including galleries, ID requests, etc.
  • Author

tthacker

Jane Imlay?

PostSun Jun 07, 2015 12:39 pm

Does anyone know who Jane Imlay was? I've had no luck finding any information about her.

JFK

Jane Imlay-"Ill and Injured":"Picture Agent" with broken leg

PostSun Jun 07, 2015 1:25 pm

Click this image for a bigger image, which should then be clicked for an even larger image

tthacker

Re: Jane Imlay?

PostSun Jun 07, 2015 1:43 pm

I did find 2 Jane Imlay's on Ancestry who lived in Los Angeles in the early 20s. One is the agent JFK found, the other a young lady who died in 1926. But I can find no film credits under her name, nor under any variations.

Brooksie

PostSun Jun 07, 2015 8:54 pm

That looks to me like an exhibit card - a novelty postcard you'd get out of a vending machine at an amusement park or an arcade. I've seen so many featuring actors who were practically unknown that I have a few theories.

Given that the machines vended a card at random, I initially wondered if this was considered a cheap way of getting a new name into the public eye.

Then, the more pragmatic side of me proposed a second theory: the machine would probably have some well known actors on the front to encourage you to put your money in. After feeding in ten dimes and getting ten nonentities rather than the Mary or Doug that you were after, you'd give up, much poorer than you expected to be ...

tthacker

PostMon Jun 08, 2015 5:32 am

I think you're right. Have to say that I'm intrigued by the idea of postcards of wannabees. I'll keep an eye out for others, although I would think their survival rate wouldn't be very high.

Return to Image Gallery