Photobucket Goes for the $

Posts of a primarily image-based nature including galleries, ID requests, etc.
  • Author

drednm

Photobucket Goes for the $

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 8:05 pm

So now that Photobucket has gone from a free site to a pay site..... What free photo hosting sites or options are there? I tried getting a photo from Dropbox to a thread here and it didn't work.

I notice all the photos I've posted here on Nitrateville via Photobucket are now gone.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

JFK

Photo bucket Goes for the $

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 9:17 pm

Most of the images I've posted here fall into three categories:
1. Those from online newspaper/library archives and the Lantern/Internet Archive- maybe try posting your PD images at the IA
2. Those from Wikipedia/Wikipedia Commons. But administrators there might delete your PD images at will.
3. Those from eBay. But they're temporary images, seldom lasting more than a few months.
Last edited by JFK on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danny Burk

Re: Photobucket Goes for the $

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 9:27 pm

drednm wrote:So now that Photobucket has gone from a free site to a pay site..... What free photo hosting sites or options are there? I tried getting a photo from Dropbox to a thread here and it didn't work.

I notice all the photos I've posted here on Nitrateville via Photobucket are now gone.....

Same thing happened to my photos on a couple of other sites. There is a free service similar to Photobucket, Imgur, but what's to keep them from copying Photobucket? (Other than the huge uproar over the latter, which could result in their going under.)

I've been using Flickr. It works very well and has "share" features built in. Hopefully they'll continue on as before.

drednm

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 5:51 am

Bizarrer and bizarrer. My free account still says 2GB FREE.... I'm using 0.1GB and everything disappeared from 3rd party sites. I guess they forgot to remove the FREE blurb.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

bobfells

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 9:22 am

I checked the colorized photo thread where I have always posted through Photobucket. Looks like all my photos are still there from the most recent to ones I posted many moons ago. However, other posters' photos are gone though not all. Not a complaint but it would be most welcome if the N'ville admins could figure out another way for us to post images here. I like the way I can post images to Facebook directly from my hard drive. Having to post first on Photobucket is a nuisance and the only reason I do it is so I can share here.

Oh, I should add that some months ago I tired of the incessant ads on Photobucket so I paid a few bucks to get rid of them. Maybe this is why my photos still appear here.

drednm

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 10:40 am

bobfells wrote:I checked the colorized photo thread where I have always posted through Photobucket. Looks like all my photos are still there from the most recent to ones I posted many moons ago. However, other posters' photos are gone though not all. Not a complaint but it would be most welcome if the N'ville admins could figure out another way for us to post images here. I like the way I can post images to Facebook directly from my hard drive. Having to post first on Photobucket is a nuisance and the only reason I do it is so I can share here.

Oh, I should add that some months ago I tired of the incessant ads on Photobucket so I paid a few bucks to get rid of them. Maybe this is why my photos still appear here.

Ditto. I only used it to post pictures here.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Danny Burk

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 11:23 am

Here's a test to see whether one of my Flickr photos will post properly here. Nothing to do with movies, just one of my photos that I posted there.

Imagedaisies dusk 6995 by Danny Burk, on Flickr

Danny Burk

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 11:27 am

Success! I'd suggest that anyone can easily open a Flickr account and use them for hosting. Go to Yahoo, then click "Flickr", the third link along the uppermost bar.

Set up your account, then post all the photos you like. You can organize them into groups if you like, or join photo groups there...or do none of the above. After you post a photo, click on it and it will display 5 icons along the lower right corner of the photo's background. The third is an arrow; click this and it will give multiple options. Choose "BBCode" to post to a forum; then choose the image size that you want. My test above is 800x800 pixels. Copy the link that it gives you and paste it as normal text on the board page.

silentfilm

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 12:23 pm

Since Mike Gebert is out of town, I'll answer for him. He already pays for the web-hosting for this site and the Bulletin Board software. The site did come with some storage space, but it was full long ago. He doesn't want to shell out the extra $$$ to pay for more storage. (I don't think a Kickstarter would help with this...).

bobfells

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 2:32 pm

Thanks Danny, I'll give Flickr a try!

I got as far as the "Share" arrow but BB Code was not among the four options. Hmmnn......

Thx

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 4:59 pm

I used Photobucket for a few years, but got tired of those video ads, like so many others they start out okay, but gradually add so many commercials the site becomes unusable. (And that is really shabby of them to hold everyone's pics hostage like that! Egregious!)

So I left them and went to Tinypic, which is owned by Photobucket, and is a giant pain, but not as bad as Photobucket.

But, someone at a forum turned me on to these guys, and they have been the best image host I could want, it loads fast, one rotator ad, one linked ad and those don't slow you down at all.

https://postimages.org/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

So I am new here, but came bearing gifts, and seriously, that link is like gold!^

Copy and paste the "hotlink for forums."

I actually intentionally click on their ads to support them, how many image hosts can you say that about?

Thx :)

Return to Image Gallery