ID this boxer on a Buster Keaton slide

Posts of a primarily image-based nature including galleries, ID requests, etc.
  • Author

radleyas

ID this boxer on a Buster Keaton slide

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 1:01 pm

I recently acquired this glass film slide. I've identified Buster Keaton, Reginald Denny, Theodore Roberts, and Bebe Daniels. But who's the boxer? Also, if anyone has any idea of the connection between these five people, and why they'd be on a glass slide together, I'd love to know. Thanks!

Jim Roots

Re: ID this boxer on a Buster Keaton slide

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 2:49 pm

He sure does look familiar. Rocky Graziano? Definitely not Maxie Rosenbloom or Jack Dempsey.

He doesn't look big enough to be a heavyweight fighter. I'd say a welterweight or middleweight.

Jim

missdupont

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 2:57 pm

The boxer IS Reginald Denny. The other 4 images are Buster Keaton, Antonio Moreno, Bebe Daniels, and Theodore Roberts, in clockwise direction. They are all silent stars. Why ask why? The Daniels and Roberts look like Witzel photos, but Denny was at Universal.

radleyas

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 3:35 pm

missdupont wrote:The boxer IS Reginald Denny. The other 4 images are Buster Keaton, Antonio Moreno, Bebe Daniels, and Theodore Roberts, in clockwise direction. They are all silent stars. Why ask why? The Daniels and Roberts look like Witzel photos, but Denny was at Universal.

Thank you for the correction. I suppose I don't see so well, so I had mistaken Moreno for Denny. My apologies.

As to the why - When I buy memorabilia, I like to figure out its purpose. I try to properly catalog anything I spend money on.

Jim Roots

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 12:56 pm

missdupont wrote:The boxer IS Reginald Denny. The other 4 images are Buster Keaton, Antonio Moreno, Bebe Daniels, and Theodore Roberts, in clockwise direction. They are all silent stars. Why ask why? The Daniels and Roberts look like Witzel photos, but Denny was at Universal.

Damn, that's right! If it had been indicated he was an actor rather than a pro boxer, I probably would have spotted him as Denny right off the bat. Calling him a boxer sent me flying off in the wrong direction.

Jim

Hamilton's Grandson

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 2:24 pm

I recently acquired Clear the Decks 1929 (5 of 6 reels, LOC may have all 6 reels) and will post some stills of Denny as soon as I get the print back from the transfer lab in a few weeks. He was his brigade's Heavyweight Divsion Champion while part of the Royal Flying Corps (@1918)

Good ID though.

Dana
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Gertrude Brooke Hamilton is on imdb.com

R Michael Pyle

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 4:03 pm

That photo of Denny is from 1922's "The Leather Pushers".

Return to Image Gallery