New browser format no longer "Search Highlighted"?

Discussion related to mediahistoryproject.org. More general discussion of topics should go to main boards.
  • Author

Darren Nemeth

New browser format no longer "Search Highlighted"?

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 2:36 pm

I really like this archive site but over the past few days the look of the new document browsing page has changed.

It no longer produces a "Read in Context with Search Highlighted" page where the keywords are highlighted.

This is very important for me because I cant find anything associated with my search keywords usually and the highlighted text is of great help.

I start work on my second book and I REALLY need this to start working for me.

In the past sometimes the document page would come up on the screen but the relevant pages with the highlighted words are several pages away. No there are no highlighted words now.

Any ideas???

This shows the link to the page where the text will be highlighted.

Finally found the article on the page but no highlight.

Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: New browser format no longer "Search Highlighted"?

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 4:17 pm

Try a different browser and see if the same change has occurred.
“One of the wonders of the internet is that it's a totally open forum. The world's greatest expert—or greatest idiot—is free to post.” —David Shepard, quoted by Richard Bann

boblipton

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 4:21 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:Try a different browser and see if the same change has occurred.

Using Firefox on my Mac, I highlighted, right-clicked and got an offer to Google the phrase I had highlighted.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

Darren Nemeth

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 4:40 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:Try a different browser and see if the same change has occurred.

Will do.
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

Darren Nemeth

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 9:03 pm

Am on a different browser.

Still no highlights on the keyword text and I have to flip through a couple pages to find the page it is on.
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

silentfilm

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 11:15 am

When I'm using Firefix with the Media History Digital Library, and click "Read in Context with Search Highlighted", it usually comes up a couple of pages off. I have to click forward or back a page or two to find the text I'm looking for.

Darren Nemeth

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 11:34 am

silentfilm wrote:When I'm using Firefix with the Media History Digital Library, and click "Read in Context with Search Highlighted", it usually comes up a couple of pages off. I have to click forward or back a page or two to find the text I'm looking for.

I know that but the search words are still not highlighted.
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

oldposterho

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 1:17 pm

I see what you mean. Even the little button dealies you could click on to take you to the correct page with the (now gone) highlights aren't there anymore either. Tried both Firefox and Chrome.

Disappointing but I'm still grateful having this resource in any form for free. Be great if some Hollywood swell would invest a little cash into it though.

Brooksie

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 4:07 pm

The problem seems to differ from publication to publication. Searches of the Motion Picture Herald and Film Daily have been sending me to the wrong page for some time (typically either the page before or the page after the correct one) but now the highlighting also doesn't appear.

However, I tried a number of other publications, including Showmen's Trade Review, Hollywood, Picture Play and Variety, and the highlighting was working as normal.

David Pierce

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 7:12 pm

Brooksie wrote:The problem seems to differ from publication to publication. Searches of the Motion Picture Herald and Film Daily have been sending me to the wrong page for some time (typically either the page before or the page after the correct one) but now the highlighting also doesn't appear.

However, I tried a number of other publications, including Showmen's Trade Review, Hollywood, Picture Play and Variety, and the highlighting was working as normal.

The Internet Archive has published a a new release of the software powering the bookreader (the page flipper that resides in your browser).

The Internet Archive have had problems for the last six months with searches in the bookreader not resolving. I tried it just now on a magazine, and got the highlighting of the search terms as usual. But that feature comes and goes.

The problem with the thumbnails on the Lantern search results and the page you reach being a few pages off are well-known bugs to the Lantern development team. They result from the way that the Internet Archive manages files - quirks in file locations and file naming conventions we didn't know when the search engine was developed.

David Pierce
Founder and Director
Media History Digital Library
http://www.mediahistoryproject.org

Brooksie

PostSat Oct 29, 2016 1:11 pm

I figured at least part of it had to do with the new format the Internet Archive has introduced. Which is a lot better than the old one, by the way. They fixed the problem which meant you often flipped to the next page by accident when you were attempting to scroll around the page you were on.

MaryGH

PostSat Oct 29, 2016 5:43 pm

David Pierce wrote:
Brooksie wrote:The problem seems to differ from publication to publication. Searches of the Motion Picture Herald and Film Daily have been sending me to the wrong page for some time (typically either the page before or the page after the correct one) but now the highlighting also doesn't appear.

The Internet Archive has published a a new release of the software powering the bookreader (the page flipper that resides in your browser).

The Internet Archive have had problems for the last six months with searches in the bookreader not resolving. I tried it just now on a magazine, and got the highlighting of the search terms as usual. But that feature comes and goes.

The problem with the thumbnails on the Lantern search results and the page you reach being a few pages off are well-known bugs to the Lantern development team. They result from the way that the Internet Archive manages files - quirks in file locations and file naming conventions we didn't know when the search engine was developed.

David Pierce
Founder and Director
Media History Digital Library
http://www.mediahistoryproject.org

I was using Lantern's database a few days ago and also noticed they updated their digital book software - is Internet Archive using a home-grown platform? Or do they use someone else?

I work in publishing and have some experience creating digital books thus my question.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/650/139/ ... ent-films/

Darren Nemeth

PostSat Nov 26, 2016 12:36 am

A month later and still same situation.

In some periodicals I search for a word that is on the page I am looking at in the browser search field and it comes up with nothing.
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

Darren Nemeth

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 1:15 am

Moving Picture World Jan-Mar 1915 is giving problems.
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

Return to Media History Digital Library