Pressbooks and programmes?

Discussion related to mediahistoryproject.org. More general discussion of topics should go to main boards.
  • Author

silentmovies742

Pressbooks and programmes?

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 3:55 pm

A question for David, really: are there any plans to extend the library to include original pressbooks and programmes for films? I obviously have no idea on the logistics of such an exercise, but an online archive of such items isn't really available as far as I'm aware - or certainly not one that concentrates on early film.

David Pierce

Re: Pressbooks and programmes?

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 7:38 pm

silentmovies742 wrote:A question for David, really: are there any plans to extend the library to include original pressbooks and programmes for films? I obviously have no idea on the logistics of such an exercise, but an online archive of such items isn't really available as far as I'm aware - or certainly not one that concentrates on early film.

We're certainly open to it, and I've been offered a large collection on loan for that purpose.

The challenge is that the Internet Archive scanning system is optimized for books, and they charge ten times as much per page for items that have to be photographed on a copy stand as their per-page cost for a magazine.

I'm going to experiment with building a copy stand of my own to photograph a small collection of theatrical newspapers that I have on loan. All of these items will require some follow-on processing to crop the images, and package them for upload.

A task like this really needs its own team of volunteers, but I need to figure out and document the workflow first.

David

silentmovies742

PostWed Aug 28, 2013 1:49 pm

David Pierce wrote:
silentmovies742 wrote:A question for David, really: are there any plans to extend the library to include original pressbooks and programmes for films? I obviously have no idea on the logistics of such an exercise, but an online archive of such items isn't really available as far as I'm aware - or certainly not one that concentrates on early film.

We're certainly open to it, and I've been offered a large collection on loan for that purpose.

The challenge is that the Internet Archive scanning system is optimized for books, and they charge ten times as much per page for items that have to be photographed on a copy stand as their per-page cost for a magazine.

I'm going to experiment with building a copy stand of my own to photograph a small collection of theatrical newspapers that I have on loan. All of these items will require some follow-on processing to crop the images, and package them for upload.

A task like this really needs its own team of volunteers, but I need to figure out and document the workflow first.

David

Thanks, David. It would certainly be a worthwhile addition to the site, I think - but can understand the fact that ten times the price is going to be off-putting!

silentfilm

PostWed Aug 28, 2013 5:03 pm

silentmovies742

silentfilm

PostWed Aug 28, 2013 8:25 pm

I also have a French pressbook for Raymond Griffith's Time to Love (1927), but I have not scanned it yet.

Return to Media History Digital Library