Media History Digital Library hit by virus attack

Discussion related to mediahistoryproject.org. More general discussion of topics should go to main boards.
  • Author

silentfilm

Media History Digital Library hit by virus attack

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 4:59 pm

I've tried to login to the Media History Digital Library on two different computers today, using two different brands of virus protection. Neither program would allow me to connect. According to Norton, there is a malicious script that will download a virus to your computer.

silentfilm

Re: Media History Digital Library hit by virus attack

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 6:03 pm

David Pierce replied to me and said that they are aware of this, but the website can be safely accessed via the Internet Archive site search or the Lantern site.

missdupont

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 1:25 am

I'm now having a problem with the Lantern site, it keeps sending me to an error page whatever I try to search, in quotes or not.

David Pierce

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 6:08 am

missdupont wrote:I'm now having a problem with the Lantern site, it keeps sending me to an error page whatever I try to search, in quotes or not.

We're in a soft launch for a new Media History Digital Library website. This replaces the problematic javascript that triggered some antivirus programs with a new implementation. Not all of the pages have been proofed, and the "All Collections" page is still under development. We're appreciate the support of the Mary Pickford Foundation to pay for the programming resources needed for these improvements.

The Lantern site was down temporarily overnight due to a software upgrade.

David

David Pierce
founder/director Media History Digital Library

oldposterho

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 8:19 am

Was bouncing around the site a bit yesterday (unregistered) and it seemed to be behaving itself nicely. Even the 'highlighted search'es were coming up perfectly, which had been something of a crapshoot of late.

Well done, lads and lasses.

Return to Media History Digital Library