Ep. 7: Dawson City: Frozen Time • A Thousand Cuts

Show posts and discussion about NitrateVille's classic movie podcast
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Ep. 7: Dawson City: Frozen Time • A Thousand Cuts

PostFri Jun 16, 2017 8:36 am

NitrateVille Radio Episode 7: Strange Places To Find Films: Bill Morrison, filmmaker of Dawson City: Frozen Time • Dennis Bartok and Jeff Joseph, authors of A Thousand Cuts: The Bizarre Underground World of Collectors and Dealers Who Saved the Movies

In this episode we talk about the strange places and people who are behind film finds:

(2:39) Now in theaters (that's why I got this one done early), Dawson City: Frozen Time tells the story of the gold rush town of Dawson City in the Yukon (setting for Chaplin's The Gold Rush), the weird connections this boom town had to another, Hollywood, through such figures as Sid Grauman and William Desmond Taylor, and the 1978 find of a treasure trove of lost films. But more than that, it's an hypnotic immersion into memory through the fleeting images of early cinema. I talk with filmmaker Bill Morrison. Here's the trailer:

Here's the page at Kino Lorber, with information on where it's playing.

Filmmaker Bill Morrison

(24:44) Then I talk with Dennis Bartok, general manager of the American Cinematheque in L.A., and film archivist Jeff Joseph, about their book about the world of collecting films on film, A Thousand Cuts: The Bizarre Underground World of Collectors and Dealers Who Saved the Movies. We talk about how movies get saved, what made collectors want to collect, we drop names from Robert Osborne and Kevin Brownlow to Roddy McDowall, Rock Hudson and even Patty Hearst. And not least, we talk about something Jeff's working on which is related to all these things: UCLA's project to restore and preserve the Hal Roach Laurel & Hardy comedies (including the long-lost second reel of The Battle of the Century, which... a collector had!)

Here's A Thousand Cuts at Amazon.

Bartok (left) and Joseph (right), with critic Elvis Mitchell

Listen above, or subscribe at iTunes, Soundcloud, or Stitcher on your mobile device, to make sure you hear every episode.

HOW TO LEAVE A REVIEW AT iTUNES

Help us attract new listeners by leaving a review at iTunes. Here's how:

1. Click here to go to the iTunes web page for NitrateVille Radio.
2. Click on View at iTunes.
3. At the iTunes page, click on Ratings and Reviews.
4. Click on Write a Review

Thanks!
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Michael O'Regan

Re: Ep. 7: Dawson City: Frozen Time • A Thousand Cuts

PostFri Jun 16, 2017 11:52 am

excellent. Loved it.

boblipton

PostFri Jun 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Great episode! Got the Kindle edition for my Ipad and will take a break from Cicero to read it.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

maliejandra

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 6:58 am

This has been my favorite of all the podcasts so far. You got very well-spoken guests with lots of great information to share.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 10:53 am

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback and kind words.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Return to NitrateVille Radio Podcast