Ep. 20: Toronto SFF • TST News • Silent W.C. Fields

Show posts and discussion about NitrateVille's classic movie podcast
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Ep. 20: Toronto SFF • TST News • Silent W.C. Fields

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 6:42 am

NitrateVille Radio Episode 20: Toronto Silent Film Festival, with Shirley Hughes • The Silent Treatment, with Brandee Cox and Steven Hill • James L. Neibaur on Silent W.C. Fields

but first... rate or review NitrateVille Radio at iTunes and win this:

We'll talk about all of those, but first: NitrateVille Member Ed Lorusso (Drednm) has offered a copy of his latest Kickstarter release, On Dangerous Ground, to encourage listeners to leave us a rating and/or a review at iTunes to help boost our visibility. So if you like NitrateVille Radio, rate and/or review us (instructions are at the bottom of this post), and then post that you did so here in this thread. And in two weeks, on March 30, I'll select one entrant to receive this DVD, not available anywhere else now that the Kickstarter's over! So help NitrateVille Radio by just taking a moment to leave us an iTunes rating/review, and it could be yours.

Now on to the show (65:21):

Image Image

(3:04) The Toronto Silent Film Festival takes place April 6 through 9. I spoke with festival co-founder and director Shirley Hughes about this year's festival, which includes Asta Nielsen as Hamlet and a program of comedy shorts with women comedians. We also talk about how you attract and build a silent film audience.

(23:33) For ten years The Silent Treatment was an online newsletter of news and commentary on silent film. It's concluded that run, but co-founders Brandee Cox and Steven Hill continue to keep the love of silent film alive in the Los Angeles area, and we'll talk about that.

Here's the website with back issues, and here's their Facebook page for upcoming events. They'll be showing Destiny at the Arena Cinelounge Hollywood on April 7, and The Wind at The Autry Museum on April 21.

Image Image

(41:34) Two silent films starring W.C. Fields just came out on home video from Kino Lorber, It's the Old Army Game, co-starring Louise Brooks, and Running Wild. But how did a comedian known for his vocal delivery work as a silent comedy star? I'll talk about that with NitrateVille member Jim Neibaur, who wrote The W.C. Fields Films and offers commentary tracks on both releases.

Image Image

(He's written lots of other books, too, check them out here.)

HOW TO LEAVE A REVIEW AT iTUNES

Help us attract new listeners by leaving a review at iTunes. Here's how:

1. Click here to go to the iTunes web page for NitrateVille Radio.
2. Click on View at iTunes.
3. At the iTunes page, click on Ratings and Reviews.
4. Click on Write a Review
5. Then let us know you did so here, to be automatically entered for On Dangerous Ground!

Thanks!
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Zepfanman

Re: Ep. 20: Toronto SFF • TST News • Silent W.C. Fields

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 2:15 pm

I've entered my review - I assume it will appear soon as I didn't see it after a refresh. Should show up as Zepfanman or Jonathan DiUbaldi. Thanks!

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 2:52 pm

And thank you! Now, who's going to reduce his odds from 100%?
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Dave M.K.

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 12:13 pm

Great episode (as usual!) And, yes, I entered a review. Am embarrassed to admit it has taken me this long to do so! Never miss a podcast... keep up the good work!

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 2:18 pm

Thanks, and now it's a contest!

Brock Davis

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 6:38 pm

I'm in too! I'm yobrockoli. I don't usually use iTunes so it took me awhile to get an account and all that to leave a review. I have been listening though, and I eagerly await each new epiisode.

Brooksie

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 7:13 pm

I posted one under the name BrooksiesCollection. Onwards and upwards!

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 11:11 pm

And the winner, chosen by the Random Number Generator, is... Brock Davis. Thanks to all for leaving reviews at iTunes, and to everyone who has done that. If you like the podcast, this is an easy way to show it and help others discover it.

Brock Davis

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 7:10 am

Thank you so much Mike and Ed! Can't wait to check it out.

Return to NitrateVille Radio Podcast