Ep. 2: The Nitrate Picture Show/Rob Byrne on Behind the Door

Show posts and discussion about NitrateVille's classic movie podcast
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Ep. 2: The Nitrate Picture Show/Rob Byrne on Behind the Door

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 7:35 am

NitrateVille Radio Episode 2: The Nitrate Picture Show at the George Eastman Museum • Behind the Door (1919), with Rob Byrne of the San Francisco Silent Film Festival

(2:01) First I talk to Jared Case and Deb Stoiber of the George Eastman Museum about The Nitrate Picture Show, a festival devoted entirely to viewing films on nitrate. Is nitrate special? Is nitrate safe? Find out the facts about the much-discussed, little-understood original film stock. Here's a link to the festival, which is May 5-7. Read about why the Dryden Theater is one of the few places you can see nitrate projected here.

(15:58) Then I talk about Irvin Willat's 1919 World War I revenge drama Behind the Door, with Rob Byrne, director of the San Francisco Silent Film Festival. He talks about how the film was restored with the help of a Russian print (with a very different plot!), and audience reactions since its premiere last year. We also talk about other things the SFSFF has been involved with, including Napoleon, and some of what's going to be at this year's festival, June 1-4.

Here's links for Flicker Alley's blu-ray and DVD release at Flicker Alley, and at Amazon, release date April 4.

Here's a link to the BFI's DVD and blu-ray release of Napoleon, the version screened in Oakland a few years ago (note: region-restricted, US viewers will need a region-free player).

Listen above, or subscribe at iTunes, Soundcloud, or Stitcher on your mobile device, to make sure you hear every episode. Follow on Twitter here.

And be sure to leave a rating at iTunes— that helps other people discover NitrateVille Radio too.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Donald Binks

Re: Ep. 2: The Nitrate Picture Show/Rob Byrne on Behind the

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Thanks Mike, another very interesting little chat.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

boblipton

Re: Ep. 2: The Nitrate Picture Show/Rob Byrne on Behind the

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 5:17 am

These guys love nitrate!

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Return to NitrateVille Radio Podcast