Ep. 4: The Festival Episode: Mostly Lost • Cinevent

Show posts and discussion about NitrateVille's classic movie podcast
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Ep. 4: The Festival Episode: Mostly Lost • Cinevent

PostTue May 02, 2017 10:31 am

NitrateVille Radio Episode 4: The Festival Episode: Mostly Lost at the Library of Congress Packard Campus, with Rob Stone and Rachel DelGaudio, and Cinevent in Columbus, Ohio, with Michael Haynes

(1:44) Imagine a festival where you're invited to shout things at the screen and use your phone and laptop—because nobody knows what the film you're looking at is, and everyone's trying to identify it! That's Mostly Lost, the Library of Congress's workshop (not festival, strictly speaking) for identifying mystery films, which will run June 15-17. I speak with Rob Stone and Rachel DelGaudio about this unusual event.

Rachel DelGaudio. formerly Rachel Parker, at LOC

Here's the page for getting tickets.

Some of the best finds from Mostly Lost were gathered on Found at Mostly Lost, a DVD put out by Ben Model's Undercrank Productions (that's Ben's music for one of them playing at the beginning and end). You can get it from Amazon here.

Image Image

(24:55) Then I talk with Michael Haynes, the second generation running the 49th annual edition of a quintessential collector's convention, Cinevent, in Columbus, Ohio over Memorial Day Weekend. We'll talk about what's showing (including the long-lost Laurel and Hardy film The Battle of the Century), and how you keep a true film collectors' festival going and attracting younger folks in an era of DVD collecting.

Here's the Cinevent site. Here's my report from the festival two years ago, which gives a feel for what it's like.

Listen above, or subscribe at iTunes, Soundcloud, or Stitcher on your mobile device, to make sure you hear every episode. Follow on Twitter here.

And be sure to leave a rating at iTunes— that helps other people discover NitrateVille Radio too.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Michael O'Regan

Re: Ep 4: The Festival Episode: Mostly Lost/Cinevent

PostTue May 02, 2017 11:47 am

Excellent. Enjoying this.

michael_haynes

PostTue May 02, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks again for the opportunity to be part of the podcast!

maliejandra

PostWed May 03, 2017 6:30 am

AWESOME episode! As if I weren't already excited enough to go to Cinevent... I've never gone to Mostly Lost but I know people who have and they always enjoy it. I would love to check it out someday.

geniuswaitress

PostFri May 12, 2017 3:48 pm

Great episode, and I hope it drums up even more interest in Mostly Lost. Looking forward to the event, as always.

silentfilm

PostSat May 13, 2017 9:33 pm

I had a long road trip yesterday. I listened to all four episodes back-to-back. They were all great and I can't wait for the next one.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSat May 13, 2017 10:07 pm

Thanks, all, for the comments. I appreciate it. I have 2-1/2 in the can, trying to build up material so that I have a nice variety of subject matter (books, video releases, screenings, etc.) from one to the next, and also, when segments run less than the full length, so I can pair two things that go together well, like the two different kinds of festivals in the current one.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Ray Frieders

PostTue May 16, 2017 9:43 pm

This was great! Can't wait to attend.

Return to NitrateVille Radio Podcast