Ep. 6: 70mm Festival • Daredevils of the Red Circle

Show posts and discussion about NitrateVille's classic movie podcast
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Ep. 6: 70mm Festival • Daredevils of the Red Circle

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 7:18 am

NitrateVille Radio Episode 6: Different Formats! 70mm, with The Music Box Theatre's Julian Antos • Classic Serial Daredevils of the Red Circle, with Michael Schlesinger and Thad Komorowski

In this episode we talk about things that aren't 35mm feature films:

(2:04) First, in Chicago the Music Box Theatre presents its 70mm film festival beginning June 30th, and I talk to technical director and projectionist Julian Antos about how, when 35mm is going out of fashion, you keep an even more expensive and inconvenient film format alive. One way— they commissioned a new print of 2001 from Warner Bros. of their very own (sort of).

Julian Antos, in the booth at The Music Box.

Hmm, costumed heroes fighting sinister bad guys in disguise... sounds a lot like the summer of 2017! But it was also 1939, when one of the greatest Republic serials of all time came out, Daredevils of the Red Circle. And now it's out in a spectacularly good blu-ray and DVD edition from Kino Lorber.

(19:48) First, I talk about the history behind this serial with NitrateVillain Michael Schlesinger ("Precode"). The veteran classic film distributor did the commentary track for the Kino release, and we have a rollicking good time talking about it and everyone who made it special, from directors William Witney and John English to peerless baddie Charles Middleton:

(40:10) Then I talk with author and digital restorationist Thad Komorowski, who did some of the digital cleanup and steadying on Paramount's 4K scan for the digital release, about what goes into making a film like Daredevils look great on home video.

Listen above, or subscribe at iTunes, Soundcloud, or Stitcher on your mobile device, to make sure you hear every episode.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Brooksie

Re: Ep. 6: 70mm Festival/Daredevils of the Red Circle

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 1:33 pm

A belated thanks for the new podcast, Mike. I've had a busy few months (moving house, amongst other things) and didn't have the chance to say so earlier. A very worthy addition to the classic film podcast roster!

Return to NitrateVille Radio Podcast