Ep. 9: Ben Model/When Knighthood Was in Flower

Show posts and discussion about NitrateVille's classic movie podcast
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Ep. 9: Ben Model/When Knighthood Was in Flower

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 6:57 am

NitrateVille Radio Episode 9: Ben Model, on playing for and crowdfunding silent films like When Knighthood Was in Flower

Ben Model at the Loews Jersey Wonder Morton

Ben Model plays music for silent films at the Museum of Modern Art, the Library of Congress, on DVDs, and all around the world, so that would be enough for a podcast. But he's also become a label of his own, his Undercrank Productions releasing rare silents in collaboration with the Library of Congress, crowdfunding them through NitrateVille and other sites in an innovative new model for releasing films made possible by the internet. So we talk about how that works (the closest NitrateVille Radio will ever get to a TED Talk), including his latest release (and first release on blu-ray), When Knighthood Was in Flower with Marion Davies, out July 25. And needless to say, there are examples of Ben's scoring for films throughout the show. (63:00)

Here's how the show breaks out:

(2:26) Ben talks about playing music for silent films, how you do it and some of his mentors along the way including Walter Kerr and Lee Erwin.

(22:15) How he and others like Ed Lorusso and Eric Grayson pioneered this method of fundraising for and marketing silent films via social media (including NitrateVille). If you've ever thought of doing it... this tells you how!

(34:22) Ben talks about collaborating with the Library of Congress, and with people like film historian Steve Massa on bringing back forgotten comedian Marcel Perez.

(46:13) We talk about Ben's release of the lavish historical romp When Knighthood Was in Flower, with Marion Davies.

When Knighthood Was in Flower is available here from Amazon. Two other Marion Davies films, Beauty's Worth and The Bride's Play, which were originally Kickstarted by Ed Lorusso and primarily funded by folks at NitrateVille, are also being released by Undercrank Productions; here's The Bride's Play and here's Beauty's Worth. When Knighthood Was in Flower and The Bride's Play will also make their TCM debuts on August 29 (Marion Davies' day during their Summer Under The Stars month).

Image Image

More Links:

Here's Ben Model's latest Kickstarter (and its NitrateVille thread), The Marcel Perez Collection Vol. 2. Here's the original collection, and here's Steve Massa's book which, I should note, fits perfectly inside the DVD case.

Ben's own podcast about playing for silent films is here at iTunes and Stitcher.

Upcoming live performances are here. You can support him on Patreon here.

Here are his links for Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.

Here's the Kickstarter for the Lloyd Hamilton set, which Ben mentions. It's already funded but still has a few days to go as of publication, so here's your chance!

Listen above, or subscribe at iTunes, Soundcloud, or Stitcher on your mobile device, to make sure you hear every episode.

HOW TO LEAVE A REVIEW AT iTUNES

Help us attract new listeners by leaving a review at iTunes. Here's how:

1. Click here to go to the iTunes web page for NitrateVille Radio.
2. Click on View at iTunes.
3. At the iTunes page, click on Ratings and Reviews.
4. Click on Write a Review

Thanks!
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

drednm

Re: Ep. 9: Ben Model/When Knighthood Was in Flower

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 12:16 pm

Seven Kickstarters for me ..... Number eight coming up end of summer.

Thanks for the mention. Honored to be included in such illustrious company!
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

boblipton

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 2:18 pm

I'm very cautious about involving myself in the various online social media that have popped up in the last twenty years, but when I realized that Kickstarter is an updating of the techniques that August Derleth and Donald Wandrei had used to finance H.P. Lovecraft's The Outsider and Others -- they had placed a single tombstone ad in Weird Tales, telling people they could order the book in advance for $2.50.... and nowadays, Lovecraft is considered a major American writer... well, it made sense to me.

What Ben doesn't mention is the enormous amount of work that he and other Nitratevillains have put into these projects: hundreds of hours in doing them and thousands in, to paraphrase James Whistler, learning how to do them. We are very fortunate to have people like Ben, who are willing to do the work, and asking just a few dollars from each of us for a finished project. My gratitude, Ben, and Ed, and others. Just let me know when my next chance to help out with a few bucks will be.

Bob
He was deeply moved, for the whisky had been generously measured.

-- Dorothy Sayers

BenModel

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 8:24 pm

Bob, thanks for your kind words. Took 6-7 years, plus whatever experience and research got me to that point, to figure a lot of this out. As far as future Kickstarted projects, that remains to be seen.

Ben
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

WaverBoy

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 8:57 pm

Listening to this episode right now. Great stuff. Thanks so much, Mike and Ben, and all other special guests. I just left a five star review on iTunes.

BenModel

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 9:11 pm

Glad you enjoyed the episode!

Ben
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanks for leaving the review. That's really important and I'm happy to say several people have done so since I started urging that more strongly in some of the shows.

Also important: that you liked it! Thanks, I'm glad. Much like NitrateVille itself, this came about because I wished it existed, so I figured it was my job to make it exist.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Donald Binks

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 10:05 pm

I voss followink zer instruksuns for zer leaving a review und got ziss:-

"The address wasn’t understood

Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (itmss) isn’t associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address."

Vot am I doink vronk? (I am trying to help) :) :(
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 10:16 pm

Well, I just tried it via Firefox and I hit a point where I had to tell Firefox to open the second link in iTunes. Did you not get that option? If you don't, you may not be able to get there from there-- you'll have to open iTunes and find the podcast part of the Store, then search within it for NitrateVille Radio.

Donald Binks

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 10:21 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:Well, I just tried it via Firefox and I hit a point where I had to tell Firefox to open the second link in iTunes. Did you not get that option? If you don't, you may not be able to get there from there-- you'll have to open iTunes and find the podcast part of the Store, then search within it for NitrateVille Radio.

Ok, Thanks Mike. I find my computer is an alien that has landed in my house. It has a mind of its own. I shall speak to my people (the dog and the next door neighbour) and see what we can come up with. It might take a few days - filled with bad language, frustration and sleepless nights......but, we'll get there. :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,

WaverBoy

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 10:31 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:Thanks for leaving the review. That's really important and I'm happy to say several people have done so since I started urging that more strongly in some of the shows.

Also important: that you liked it! Thanks, I'm glad. Much like NitrateVille itself, this came about because I wished it existed, so I figured it was my job to make it exist.

I'm so glad you conjured it up. And let me say that it sounds very professional and slick. Nice jazzy theme music too. Smooth and cool.

Donald Binks

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 1:04 am

Donald Binks wrote:I voss followink zer instruksuns for zer leaving a review und got ziss:-

"The address wasn’t understood

Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (itmss) isn’t associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address."

Vot am I doink vronk? (I am trying to help) :) :(

Sorry - I can't help out on this one. I found I had to download and install something called Itunes. I did this, then to write a review I had to fill out a form. I stopped here when I got asked for credit card details
Regards from
Donald Binks

Return to NitrateVille Radio Podcast