Any Info on George Clarke?

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

drednm

Any Info on George Clarke?

PostTue Jan 26, 2016 3:09 am

So what does anyone know about this silent film actor. Saw the 11-minute The Snip (1920). He was apparently also billed as George Leroi Clarke.
Last edited by drednm on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

Tommie Hicks

Re: And Info on George Clarke?

PostTue Jan 26, 2016 9:45 am

The LOC has a print of one of his films. He seems to be a cross (pardon the pun) between Harold Lloyd and Ben Turpin. He made about a dozen two-reelers for Reelcraft in 1921 and disappeared into the obscurity from which he emerged. Anthony Balducci posted a scan for an ad of one of Clarke's film on his blog.

Rick Lanham

Re: Any Info on George Clarke?

PostTue Jan 26, 2016 10:39 am

No guarantees but he appears to be the George Leroi/Leroy Milton Clarke who was a reverend at the time of the WWI draft. He was tall, slender, with blue eyes and dark brown hair. He was born January 3, 1888 in Washington DC. Died December 27, 1947 in Los Angeles county. Mother's maiden name Trexler. Buried here:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... p;ref=acom

1915 City Directory: evangelist
1916 City Directory: evangelist
1917 City Directory: evangelist
1918 City Directory: occupation real estate
1920 Census: occupation moving picture director
1922 City Directory occupation photo player
1930 Census: occupation solicitor screen advertising
1940 Census: occupation field secretary for the government
1942 WWII draft occupation "federal works administration"

Like I said, no guarantees.

Rick

drednm

PostTue Jan 26, 2016 10:56 am

For some reason I assumed he was British..... This short was on the Grapevine DVD and there was no information about him.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Steve Massa

PostTue Jan 26, 2016 12:06 pm

Contemporary trades and newspapers have items about him being a Baptist minister. Here's one from the 5/5/1920 Milwaukee Journal:

QUITS PULPIT FOR FUN FILMS
The Rev. George LeRoi Clarke, Baptist minister, who has entered motion pictures as a screen comedian, has announced that his series of 26 two-reelers will be pure fun without the ghost of preachings or teachers."

Between MoMA and LOC I've seen about five of his shorts, and really think he should have stuck with the pulpit.

drednm

PostTue Jan 26, 2016 12:08 pm

Wow, harsh, Steve. LOL

Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

tclarke

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 10:44 pm

Hi,

George LeRoy Clarke was my father. He was a child Evangelist and traveled and preached extensively through the South. My understanding is that at the beginning of his career he was so little they had to stand him on a box so that he could be seen by the congregants. He was a Southern Methodist, by the way, not a Baptist. His father was a life-long Southern Methodist preacher and by all accounts a strict and unforgiving man. When my father left the church, thoroughly disillusioned with religion in general and 'fire and brimstone' religion in particular, his father disowned him. They never reconciled.

I was not quite three years old when my father died, in Highland Park, in Los Angeles. I've seen stills from several of his one-reelers and m sister still has a few dozen stashed away somewhere. I've never seen any of his films though. I have no idea if they exist in any viewable form.

In between evangelizing and movie making, my dad lived quite a colorful life, bits and pieces of which I managed to piece together over the years. The few small things I personally recall about my dad were that he played the piano very well - he'd learned in church - and that he was generally well-liked by those who knew him.

If anyone has access to any of his films or still photos and is willing to share them, or knows of where I can find more information, I'd love to hear from you.

I hope this helps.

Thomas Milton Clarke

Big Silent Fan

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 6:28 am

tclarke wrote:Hi,

George LeRoy Clarke was my father.
If anyone has access to any of his films or still photos and is willing to share them, or knows of where I can find more information, I'd love to hear from you.

Thomas Milton Clarke

Wow!
I'm sure Ed's never been fishing before for information and had such good luck. Thank you for sharing about your Dad.

I'm sure you'll be hearing from others.

wich2

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 9:38 am

Thomas, thanks for chiming in.

This kind of first-hand contact can be a great bonus to fandom - and to family.

-Craig

Steve Massa

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 10:58 am

Thomas - thanks for the info. Wondered if you could tell us when your father passed away, and if there's any family history on how he came to make the comedy shorts?

drednm

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 11:11 am

Wow.... I'd posted this so long ago, I'd forgotten all about it.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

drednm

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 11:15 am

tclarke wrote:Hi,

George LeRoy Clarke was my father. He was a child Evangelist and traveled and preached extensively through the South. My understanding is that at the beginning of his career he was so little they had to stand him on a box so that he could be seen by the congregants. He was a Southern Methodist, by the way, not a Baptist. His father was a life-long Southern Methodist preacher and by all accounts a strict and unforgiving man. When my father left the church, thoroughly disillusioned with religion in general and 'fire and brimstone' religion in particular, his father disowned him. They never reconciled.

I was not quite three years old when my father died, in Highland Park, in Los Angeles. I've seen stills from several of his one-reelers and m sister still has a few dozen stashed away somewhere. I've never seen any of his films though. I have no idea if they exist in any viewable form.

In between evangelizing and movie making, my dad lived quite a colorful life, bits and pieces of which I managed to piece together over the years. The few small things I personally recall about my dad were that he played the piano very well - he'd learned in church - and that he was generally well-liked by those who knew him.

I hope this helps.

Thomas Milton Clarke

Hi. Your sister should really contact someone like Rob Stone at the Library of Congress to preserve whatever films she has stashed away. Thanks for the info!
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Rob Farr

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 2:16 pm

The Snip (1921) is available as an extra on this Rin Tin Tin DVD put out by Grapevine Video. http://www.grapevinevideo.com/lighthous ... e_sea.html
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx
www.slapsticon.org

tclarke

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 5:14 pm

Thanks all for your replies and thoughtful suggestions. I'll circle round with my sister and see if I can't find out what she's got squirreled away - and also see if she can't help answer your questions. One I can answer, my father died in 1947 - so I'm guessing the date in this thread is probably accurate. He was born in the USA, not England. I'll get some specific information and post it here. Thanks again.

Tom Clarke.

tclarke

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 5:58 pm

Just spoke with my sister - she doesn't have any of the films. She did have quite a few publicity stills at one point but they've gone missing. I told her about this thread, and she may join up and add her two cents.

drednm

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 6:05 pm

tclarke wrote:Just spoke with my sister - she doesn't have any of the films. She did have quite a few publicity stills at one point but they've gone missing. I told her about this thread, and she may join up and add her two cents.

That's a shame. Maybe some other relative has them?

Would have been one more piece of film history saved. I'll have to go back and watch the film I saw a year ago. There was something about him that spurred me to ask for more info.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

drednm

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 6:18 am

from MOTION PICTURE NEWS 1922

Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------