KNIGHTHOOD and my New DVD Deal

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

drednm

KNIGHTHOOD and my New DVD Deal

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 1:05 pm

Upcoming DVD and BLU news:

http://www.undercrankproductions.com/news.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

Of course I'm most excited about the When Knighthood Was in Flower release with new score by Ben Model and color restoration in the final reel by Jack Theakston. Knighthood debuted in Toronto in early April and the buzz was terrific.
Last edited by drednm on Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

AbZeroNow

Re: Talk About Your Big News!

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 1:20 pm

Knighthood will very likely be a buy for me. Might also get Bride's Play since I missed that Kickstarter.

Commercial releases of Marion Davies films is a very good thing.

drednm

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 2:02 pm

AbZeroNow wrote:Knighthood will very likely be a buy for me. Might also get Bride's Play since I missed that Kickstarter.

Commercial releases of Marion Davies films is a very good thing.

Very good, indeed.... To date the only Marion Davies silents on disk are Show People, The Patsy, and The Red Mill, while Quality Street is an extra on the TCM Davies documentary. My limited releases have added The Restless Sex, Enchantment, and the upcoming April Folly.

Along with the massive amount of work done on the mega-hit When Knighthood Was in Flower, Ben is also starting from scratch on Beauty's Worth and The Bride's Play (even reinstating the original tint design to the latter film) with new scans, disk menus, and new packaging.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Battra92

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 3:00 pm

I was lamenting to a friend earlier that I hate how part of being a silent movie fan is that so many films just aren't accessible to me (no matter where I look I can't get a copy of them) so any new silent releases are welcome by me. I'll have to add these to my ever growing backlog of silent pictures to check out.

drednm

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Battra92 wrote:I was lamenting to a friend earlier that I hate how part of being a silent movie fan is that so many films just aren't accessible to me (no matter where I look I can't get a copy of them) so any new silent releases are welcome by me. I'll have to add these to my ever growing backlog of silent pictures to check out.

I think Knighthood is going to have a new big audience. The film speed has been corrected so it's not the old draggy Videobrary copy that's been floating around for many decades. So along with the crisp new scan will be crisp action that moves along. Same thing with BEAUTY'S WORTH, once we corrected the running speed (again there was a draggy Videobrary copy) the whole film changes for the better. Pacing is (almost) everything in a silent film.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Christopher Jacobs

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 6:30 pm

A Blu-ray release of WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER is certainly a welcome surprise! It's great to see good DVDs of high-quality scans of rare films, but properly authored Blu-rays from original nitrate elements make a genuine difference in presenting the crisp clarity that audiences originally enjoyed when the films were first released. The Universal horror classics, the recent Olive Blu-ray of WAGON TRACKS, the Flicker Alley Blu-ray of BEHIND THE DOOR, and others are perfect examples of how much more impressive Blu-rays look than even good DVDs, especially when showing to friends who have rarely if ever seen any silent or early sound films and are truly amazed by the sharp pictures from a time "before they had HD," not realizing that 35mm film was always HD when it was new.

Really looking forward to this restoration and seeing Marion Davies, a young William Powell, and company in HD.

drednm

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 8:23 pm

A glimpse of the digitally hand-coloring done by Jack Theakston for the finale of When Knighthood Was in Flower, replicating the original Handschiegl coloring process.

Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Battra92

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 7:14 am

Christopher Jacobs wrote:A Blu-ray release of WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER is certainly a welcome surprise! It's great to see good DVDs of high-quality scans of rare films, but properly authored Blu-rays from original nitrate elements make a genuine difference in presenting the crisp clarity that audiences originally enjoyed when the films were first released. The Universal horror classics, the recent Olive Blu-ray of WAGON TRACKS, the Flicker Alley Blu-ray of BEHIND THE DOOR, and others are perfect examples of how much more impressive Blu-rays look than even good DVDs, especially when showing to friends who have rarely if ever seen any silent or early sound films and are truly amazed by the sharp pictures from a time "before they had HD," not realizing that 35mm film was always HD when it was new.

Indeed! Wagon Tracks looked really good. I was surprised to see that got a release but I'm happy I picked it up (it was really inexpensive too.)

And yes, it's really a struggle to get people to watched battered prints transferred to video in the 90s. I suspect it's part of why silent films are so inaccessible to the general population.

Return to Talking About Silents