IMDB Bias

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Donald Binks

IMDB Bias

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 2:55 pm

I have noticed that when I type in the name of an old picture, where the same title may have been used on more recent pictures, I will get a list of only two or three pictures - all of them the most recent. I have to click on "more titles" then to see what I am looking for. Even when perhaps the much older version or title is perhaps the most famous of the lot - there is a prejudice towards just giving one the latest.

Anyone else noticed this?

(One doesn't complain, one merely makes an observation)
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

boblipton

Re: IMDB Bias

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Yes, and it's an understandable bias. How many old farts interested in Leo Carillo shorts from 1928 are there when there's a new Jacky Chan movie called The Foreigner opening tomorrow?

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Donald Binks

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 3:09 pm

I was just thinking that it may have been a good way of educating 'non old-farts' about films - that there may be a better and/or more interesting version out there. Just a thought.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

boblipton

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 3:14 pm

Once upon a time, people imagined they could better themselves, possibly by educating themselves about things and viewpoints they were unaware of or had not been thoroughly exposed to. Those days are now thoroughly gone my friend, and the accepted wisdom is the thoroughly commercial one my cigar-smoking buddy espouses: Never call a man a fool when you can borrow money from him.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Donald Binks

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 3:17 pm

:shock: :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

SilentsPlease

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 4:16 pm

Donald Binks wrote:I have noticed that when I type in the name of an old picture, where the same title may have been used on more recent pictures, I will get a list of only two or three pictures - all of them the most recent. I have to click on "more titles" then to see what I am looking for. Even when perhaps the much older version or title is perhaps the most famous of the lot - there is a prejudice towards just giving one the latest.

Anyone else noticed this?

(One doesn't complain, one merely makes an observation)

The list you complained about is the "auto-suggestion" list, and not the actual results. When you press Enter, the actual results may reveal very different titles, and may actually contain the title(s) you want.

For example, type "It" (no quotes) in the search box, and you don't see Clara Bow's film on the auto-suggestion list. But pressing Enter will show you the actual search results, where "It" (1927) is among the top results.

Most search engines work the same way, such as Google. Auto-suggestions are NOT actual results, but simply "guesses" of what you want to search so you don't have to type it all out. For instance, typing "It" may show auto-suggestions of "It Happened One Night," "It's a Wonderful Life," etc.

Donald Binks

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 4:22 pm

Thank you for explaining the further complications one seems to have to contend with in this 21st Century. (If only things could go back to being easy). :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

wich2

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 8:45 pm

Donald Binks wrote:Thank you for explaining the further complications one seems to have to contend with in this 21st Century. (If only things could go back to being easy). :D

Ah, yes!

When you had to have a good library in your town, and a good way to get there...

And they had to have the book you wanted, and it had not to be checked out or stolen...

And someone had to have written the book to begin with...

And they had to have been a good researcher, and the records they needed had to have been available in the first place...

MUCH easier, to be sure!

Good grief, we now have a library much greater than the one in Alexandria, at our fingertips in our homes!

Donald Binks

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 9:57 pm

wich2 wrote:
Donald Binks wrote:Thank you for explaining the further complications one seems to have to contend with in this 21st Century. (If only things could go back to being easy). :D

Ah, yes!

When you had to have a good library in your town, and a good way to get there...

And they had to have the book you wanted, and it had not to be checked out or stolen...

And someone had to have written the book to begin with...

And they had to have been a good researcher, and the records they needed had to have been available in the first place...

MUCH easier, to be sure!

Good grief, we now have a library much greater than the one in Alexandria, at our fingertips in our homes!

Well thank you for this. You seem to be following me around for some reason. Have another look at what I said and then you may realise that I was not complaining with what was there but the route by which one must travel.

Sheeeeesh!
Regards from
Donald Binks

wich2

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 10:12 pm

Sir Donald, I don't follow you around!

But you do post a lot. And you do post a lot of - definitive? - type statements, that fairly cry out for vigorous debate.

All the best,
-Craig

Donald Binks

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 1:45 am

wich2 wrote:Sir Donald, I don't follow you around!

But you do post a lot. And you do post a lot of - definitive? - type statements, that fairly cry out for vigorous debate.

All the best,
-Craig

I take after my father - whatever he said was absolutely correct and not to be corrected! :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

maliejandra

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 6:03 am

Yeah it has to do with the most likely choice for that title, so if you're searching for something obscure, that probably won't be the first option that comes up. However, if you type in Gone With the Wind or Casablanca, the classic (old) films will pop up because those are likely the ones you're looking for.

oldposterho

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 7:16 am

The auto-suggestions also skew towards the paid-to-be-promoted titles.

wich2

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 8:34 am

Donald Binks wrote:I take after my father - whatever he said was absolutely correct and not to be corrected! :D

Oh my gosh -

- he was MY Father, too!

-Craig

:wink:

boblipton

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 8:42 am

I knew I wasn't the only bastard around here.

Bob
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Daveismyhero

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 1:12 pm

When I am searching for the classic titles, I try to include the year (if known), and that usually speeds up the searches.

(I believe this was mentioned earlier, but I'm on mobile and can't read the tiny type too well.
I am not a purist, I am a funist!

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 1:47 pm

There seems to be something similar on YouTube when you start to key in a title. It tends to lead to what are (presumably) the most searched-for items...

Return to Talking About Silents