Talkies referenced in late silents.

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

earlytalkiebuffRob

Talkies referenced in late silents.

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 1:40 pm

Last night I watched Ozu's THAT NIGHT'S WIFE (1930), a silent which featured posters fror at least two talkies, BROADWAY SCANDALS (1929) and a Walter Huston one which I couldn't make out. I was reminded of another Ozu silent, WOMAN OF TOKYO (1933), where the characters watch IF I HAD A MILLION and A COTTAGE ON DARTMOOR (1930) which has characters watching a talkie, although in this case, the scene originally had sound on disc.

Anything else like that???

boblipton

Re: Talkies referenced in late silents.

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 1:48 pm

It's been a while since I saw Cottage on Dartmoor, but wasn't the point of that sequence how much the people loved the silent movie they saw (a Harold Lloyd?) and disliked the talkie?

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 1:37 pm

Likewise a few years since I watched COTTAGE, and think you're correct there...

Big Silent Fan

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 9:19 am

boblipton wrote:It's been a while since I saw Cottage on Dartmoor, but wasn't the point of that sequence how much the people loved the silent movie they saw (a Harold Lloyd?) and disliked the talkie?

Bob

Not exactly.
Everyone was excited about the new 'talkies' and when we see the cinema sequence, it shows how there was a combination of Sound and Silent films shown, one Silent apparently a Harold Lloyd comedy since someone in the audience wearing glasses resembled Lloyd.

Rodney

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 11:02 am

Big Silent Fan wrote:
boblipton wrote:It's been a while since I saw Cottage on Dartmoor, but wasn't the point of that sequence how much the people loved the silent movie they saw (a Harold Lloyd?) and disliked the talkie?

Bob

Not exactly.
Everyone was excited about the new 'talkies' and when we see the cinema sequence, it shows how there was a combination of Sound and Silent films shown, one Silent apparently a Harold Lloyd comedy since someone in the audience wearing glasses resembled Lloyd.

Yes, but in the "talkie" portion of the entertainment, we see the audience complaining about how they can't understand what anyone is saying because the audio is so terrible.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Clem Dickey

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 11:22 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:Last night I watched Ozu's THAT NIGHT'S WIFE (1930), a silent which featured posters fror at least two talkies [...]

I remember movie posters in Ozu's Dragnet Girl (1933), and IMDB says that Dragnet Girl has posters for All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) and The Champ (1931).

boblipton

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 5:39 am

Clem Dickey wrote:
earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:Last night I watched Ozu's THAT NIGHT'S WIFE (1930), a silent which featured posters fror at least two talkies [...]

I remember movie posters in Ozu's Dragnet Girl (1933), and IMDB says that Dragnet Girl has posters for All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) and The Champ (1931).

I can confirm the French poster for All Quiet on the Western Front. I noticed Beery's name on another poster, but not the title.

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

Return to Talking About Silents