Extant Claire Windsor features?

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Gagman 66

Extant Claire Windsor features?

PostTue Sep 13, 2011 7:27 pm

:? Besides Blanche Sweet, I have seen next to nothing of Claire Windsor's Silents. What do we have on her surviving titles? Hope that someone can help with both questions. Thanks.

FrankFay

Re: Extant Blanche Sweet silent features?

PostTue Sep 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Gagman 66 wrote::? Besides Blanche Sweet, I have seen next to nothing of Claire Windsor's Silents. What do we have on her surviving titles? Hope that someone can help with both questions. Thanks.

Aside from her Lois Weber films I've seen her in The Little Church Around The Corner, in which she's quite lively in contast to her suffering in the Weber pictures. Kenneth Harlan is also rather good in it.
Eric Stott

sepiatone

PostWed Sep 14, 2011 5:06 pm

Gagman 66 wrote::? Besides Blanche Sweet, I have seen next to nothing of Claire Windsor's Silents. What do we have on her surviving titles? Hope that someone can help with both questions. Thanks.

some surviving Claire Windsors at LoC:
*What Do Men Want (incomplete)
*What's Worth While(incomplete)
*The Blot
*Too Wise Wives
*Little Church Around the Corner
*Son of the Sahara (Trailer only)
*Souls For Sables

telical

PostWed Sep 14, 2011 5:53 pm

I would love to see *Souls For Sables." I bet an animal rights group
would pay to have that re-released. It also sounds kitsch enough for
the "Something Weird" crowd.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016378/

--
Robert Pearson
http://www.paramind.net
http://www.telicalbooks.com
http://www.regenerativemusic.net

silentfilm

PostWed Sep 14, 2011 7:31 pm

There's a guy who comes to the Kansas Silent Film Festival every year that is working on a Claire Windsor biography. I can't remember his name, but he lives in Cawker City, Windsor's hometown. I'm sure that he has a list. He is registered as "cawkercitykid" on Nitrateville.

Gagman 66

PostWed Sep 14, 2011 11:27 pm

Bruce,

:? Wasn't NELLIE THE BEAUTIFUL CLOAK MODEL (1924) in the Gosfilmofond Russian Archive? Of course I don't know how complete the surviving print is.

telical

PostThu Sep 15, 2011 12:35 pm

"Anna Christie" is online for free at Movieflix.com

"Little Church Around the Corner" is listed as being online
at a file share site (which I don't generally use) but the one
that came up fist in the listings wants money to download it because
of the size of the single file. There are other options that
require decompressing the file. I wonder if its legal to download
a copy of this or if there are copyright restrictions? Anyone know?

--
Robert Pearson
http://www.paramind.net
http://www.telicalbooks.com
http://www.regenerativemusic.net

sepiatone

PostThu Sep 15, 2011 1:42 pm

sepiatone wrote:

some surviving Claire Windsors at LoC:
*What Do Men Want (incomplete)
*What's Worth While(incomplete)
*The Blot
*Too Wise Wives
*Little Church Around the Corner
*Son of the Sahara (Trailer only)
*Souls For Sables

add "Opening Night"(1927) to the LoC group. The Feature and it's Trailer are at the LoC and that closes out her extant silents at the archive that I know of.

sepiatone

PostThu Sep 15, 2011 1:48 pm

silentfilm wrote:There's a guy who comes to the Kansas Silent Film Festival every year that is working on a Claire Windsor biography. I can't remember his name, but he lives in Cawker City, Windsor's hometown. I'm sure that he has a list. He is registered as "cawkercitykid" on Nitrateville.

Bruce, do you know if he will publish through McFarland? it sort of sounds like it seeing that they are publishing great material on out of the ballpark silent film personalities, or ones not as well known as others. My recent McFarland reads are "The Fixers" by E.J. Fleming, a hilarious read where every other celebrity seems to be an actress needing an abortion or a guy who is a closet homosexual. :lol:
A more interesting McFarland read is "The Opera Singer and the Silent Film" c.2005 by Paul Fryer. Just delved into this one and haven't gone too far with it yet, but should learn something new.

The Blackbird

Re: Extant Claire Windsor features?

PostFri Sep 16, 2011 3:38 pm

THE WHITE DESERT and FOREIGN DEVILS reportedly survive. Incomplete copies of THE DENIAL and TIN HATS supposedly exist...

cawkercitykid

PostSat Sep 17, 2011 6:18 am

Bruce, thanks for the heads up!

Here is my list of extant Claire Windsor films:

(The Eyes of Youth (1919) Available on DVD. Claire plays an uncredited role as a party guest in a ballroom scene. The film exists because Valentino plays a minor role in the film. I bought a copy of the DVD and did not see a ballroom scene.)

What's Worth While (1921) Recently restored by the Library of Congress and shown publicly. Footage from the beginning of the film is missing, but is filled in with text and stills. Not available on DVD to my knowledge. It was shown at Cenesation in 2005.

Too Wise Wives (1921) Readily available on VHS by Nostalgia Family Video 1996. Claire plays a central role in the film.

The Blot (1921) Readily available on DVD by Milestone film and video 2003. Claire plays an important, but not the central role in the film. Film Study Center of the Modern Museum Of Art (MOMA) has a copy of the film.

One Clear Call (1922) Survives and may be complete. Turner/WB inventory. Unfortunately, because of references to the KKK, I doubt it will ever be restored. The book is available online for free, but I have not had time to read it.

Broken Chains (1922) Survives at the Museum of Modern Art archives.

George Eastman House early two-color Kodachrome footage. Publicly shown in September 1922 at the newly built Eastman Theatre in Rochester, NY. The film includes several Hollywood stars including Gloria Swanson, May McAvoy and Claire Windsor. The film has been restored and is available for cinema viewing.

Little Church Around the Corner (1923) available in VHS by Grapevine and now in DVD by various companies. Library of Congress film archives.

Souls for Sale (1923) Currently available on DVD. It has also been shown on TCM. Claire makes a cameo appearance from the filming of “The Eternal Three.”

Nellie, the Beautiful Cloak Model (1924) Library of Congress. In the spring of 2011, the Boris Yeltzen Library repatriated digital copies of a number of American films, among which was this film. I was hoping to find out more information about the film (and others) when I visited the Culpeper campus last July. What a waste of time and gas--it is a fortress and "the voice from the speaker" was not helpful and could only suggest to go online for answers...

The Denial (1925) Incomplete, but footage does survive. It is assumed that Turner/WB has the footage.

The White Desert (1925) Last shown publicly in Denver on February 23, 1978 at the Paramount Theatre for the 50th celebration of the opening of the Moffat Tunnel. The film is currently owned by Turner Entertainment which has now merged with Warner Brothers. The George Eastman House also has a 35mm copy print of the film.

1925 Studio Tour Shown often on TCM. Claire makes a cameo appearance.

Tin Hats (1926) Survives but is incomplete. It is assumed that Turner/WB has the footage.

(A Little Journey (1927) Despite a hoax review of the film posted on the IMDB, this film is presumed lost.)

The Claw (1927) Available in VHS by Nostalgia Family Video 1996. Claire plays a central role in the film.

Foreign Devils (1927) Survives and may be complete. Turner/WB inventory.

Blonds By Choice Listed in the Library of Congress Film Archives. Condition of film undetermined and, to my knowledge, never been offered on VHS or DVD.

(Captain Lash (1929) A recent review appeared on the IMDB. Correspondence suggests that the film was in private possession and upon dissolution of the estate, found its way to the Modern Museum of Art Film Archives in New York. Confirmation has not been established. This may also be a hoax.)

Midstream This film was completed as a silent, but Claire was called back to add speaking scenes. The added “talking” scene where Ricardo Cortez and Claire attend the opera “Faust” is a special feature (9 minutes) of the 2003 Milestone film and video double DVD collection of “The Phantom of the Opera.” It is assumed that “Midstream” in its entirety does not exist. The surviving “talking” footage was bundled with several other early musical numbers and released as a short film.

The Lost Zeppelin The silent version of this film featured Claire and was ready for distribution when it was totally recast and made into a “talkie.” This “talking” version is available on DVD by Alpha Video 2006.

Sister to Judas (1932) MOMA has a copy in their archives.

The Constant Woman (1933) aka Hell in a Circus A home made DVD version appeared on eBay twice, but the second time the item and the seller were pulled before the auction was finalized. MOMA has the film in their archives.

The Barefoot Boy Available on VHS by Nostalgia Family Video 1996. Claire plays a minor role in this film.

How Do You Dooo? DVD copy of a privately owned print appeared on eBay.

Claire Windsor’s Home Movies Available as a special feature on Sunrise Silent’s “Stella Dallas” Vol. 11, No. 3. It is surmised that this 10 minute clip of Claire footage was assembled for the dedication of the Claire Windsor suite of rooms at the Ambassador Hotel in L.A. Footage includes excerpts from films, behind the scenes clips, guests at the Hearst castle San Simeon, newsreel footage with Bert Lytell etc.

Zellig Shown on Turner Classic Movies. Footage of Claire and Dolores Del Rio at San Simeon is used.

The Opening Night (Trailer) Available on “Silent Trailers” by the British company Silent Reels.

From the earlier posts, a trailer for "Son of the Sahara" is new to me. Do you have any further information about it--is available on a DVD of trailers or is it listed in an inventory somewhere?

"Souls for Sables" is another title that jumped out at me from the earlier posts. Does anyone have more information about it too? Thanks.

cawkercitykid

PostSat Sep 17, 2011 6:47 am

silentfilm

PostSat Sep 17, 2011 7:46 am

Too Wise Wives is also available on DVD on the Origins of Film set from the Library of Congress.

cawkercitykid

PostSat Sep 17, 2011 12:12 pm

Here are a few items from "Nellie the Beautiful Cloak Model."

cawkercitykid

PostSat Sep 17, 2011 12:14 pm

cawkercitykid

PostSat Sep 17, 2011 12:17 pm

cawkercitykid

PostSat Sep 17, 2011 12:21 pm

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image Image

James Bazen

PostTue Sep 20, 2011 8:40 am

The White Desert, actually ran at the 2010 Cinefest and I remember it was an excellent and action-packed film.

cawkercitykid

PostWed Sep 21, 2011 4:33 am

"The White Desert" would make a great DVD because of the historic photos of Rollins Pass alone. Any railroad buff would enjoy seeing the footage. Although the track has been taken up and at least one of the tunnels has collapsed, It is on my bucket list to hike the trail in an ATV. The film was designed as propaganda to gain public support for the building of the Moffat Tunnel. Because of the film, in Feb. 1928 Claire was crowned "Queen of the Denver Auto Show" which celebrated the opening of the Moffat Tunnel. There was a newsreal shot of the parade and auto show which was shown in the local Denver theaters at the time. So far I have not been able to locate any footage from the film. Edward Bollinger's book "Rails That Climb" tells the story of Rollins Pass and the building of the tunnel with hundreds of incredible pictures.

telical

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 9:57 am

The little church around the corner (1923 USA)

Return to Talking About Silents