Kiss Me Again (1925) - When Bow Met Lubitsch

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Jeff Crouse

Kiss Me Again (1925) - When Bow Met Lubitsch

PostFri Feb 10, 2012 4:47 am

Of all of Clara Bow's lost films, none tantalizes the imagination with as much wondrous possibility as the comedy she made with master director Ernst Lubitsch, Kiss Me Again. This film, made on loan out to Warner Bros., earned excellent reviews upon release and placed on critics' 10 best lists for that year (1925). According to Bow biographer David Stenn, Lubitsch was highly conscious of Bow's comedic gifts and tried to steer Paramount to make better use of her. Strangely, this is one film that one hardly hears about today -- or at least that's my experience. Despite this being a movie that presumably no one has seen for decades, has anyone nevertheless attempted to write about it?

Keatonesque

Re: Kiss Me Again (1925) - When Bow Met Lubitsch

PostSun May 13, 2018 6:02 pm

Any ideas as to when Kiss Me Again may have been lost? Certainly one of the holy grails of lost Hollywood silents.

MDJimenez

PostMon May 14, 2018 12:57 pm

Is its screenplay available at an archive or library? I don't often see many stills from this film on Ebay or the Internet. UCLA Film Archive mentioned an upcoming Lubitsch retrospective which I imagine will include the new Rosita and Forbidden Paradise restorations. If only some fragments or some reconstruction could be done for this film like what they did with London After Midnight.

sepiatone

PostTue May 15, 2018 1:53 pm

It was B. P. Schulberg who steered Clara Bow. He was her svengali, impresario meal ticket etc. . Wherever B.P. went Bow went, that's why she was in so many films from different companies in 1924 and especially 1925. B. P. was doing to Clara what William Fox had done to Theda, what Zukor had done to Pauline Frederick --- burning them out, and B. P. burning Bow so early in the game.

Keatonesque

PostTue May 15, 2018 3:56 pm

And it's because of that burn-out that makes having as much of her silent work available as possible so crucial. The quality of the work from 1925 through the end of the era (and Call Her Savage) is outstanding, and this is one that I'm certain would work as the perfect compliment to Mantrap, It and Get Your Man. I'm not really sure how the lost 1928 films compare quality-wise (story, performance, script) to those of 1925–27, but I admit I'm more intrigued by this one than any of the 1928 films.

Return to Talking About Silents