BROWN OF HARVARD (1926)

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

bobfells

BROWN OF HARVARD (1926)

PostSun Apr 08, 2012 4:00 pm

Another thread has some interesting info about BROWN OF HARVARD (1926), which was evidently William Haines' breakout film. I've yet to see this film but here are four stills that suggest it's an interesting picture:

Mary Brian and Wm. Haines

Haines and Jack Pickford

Gagman 66

Re: BROWN OF HARVARD (1926)

PostSun Apr 08, 2012 4:09 pm

Bob,

:) I'd probably have to go with Mary Pickford's LITTLE ANNIE ROONEY the year before as Haines Breakout picture. Although, BROWN OF HARVARD supposedly made him a major player at MGM.

By coincidence I just posted a couple scenes on TCM-CFU yesterday. Here are the links. Thanks for the stills.

http://fan.tcm.com/_William-Haines-and- ... 66470.html" target="_blank

http://fan.tcm.com/_William-Hanies-Batt ... 70.html?b=" target="_blank

FrankFay

PostSun Apr 08, 2012 4:20 pm

It's quite a good picture. Haines is his typical character- a heedless boy who is his own worst enemy- but at this stage he was still genuinely youthful and it's easier to feel sympathy for him. Jack Pickford is too old to be a college freshman (and certainly looks it) but he works his sad pathetic puppy routine masterfully.

This film cries out for a proper DVD release, the only good video source is a Critics Choice VHS tape with a fine Phillip Carli score.
Eric Stott

entredeuxguerres

PostSun Apr 08, 2012 4:20 pm

It's a great picture--Haines pours it on full throttle from start to finish, sweet Mary Brian is just too, too cute, & Pickford, the ostensible star, I guess, exhibits a quiet, mellow side rather unexpected for one with his reputation for the fast life. All this was enhanced by the fine Carli piano score on my disk. I thought the rah-rah factor became pretty thick toward the end, but football fans would no doubt love it.

bobfells

PostSun Apr 08, 2012 4:24 pm

I enjoyed the clip - and the music too. Thanks, Gagman.

drednm

PostSun Apr 08, 2012 5:03 pm

I pick Brown of Harvard as Haine's breakout film. It's a terrific film, and I'm surprised it hasn't had a DVD release. John Wayne made his film "debut" as a Yale football player.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

silentfilm

PostSun Apr 08, 2012 5:32 pm

entredeuxguerres

PostSun Apr 08, 2012 5:57 pm

Great ads, but I'm glad I didn't see them before the picture--the old rah-rah leaves me blah-blah. (An attitude derived from 4 years of misery in my HS marching band.) Enjoyed the rowing, however.

drednm

PostMon Apr 09, 2012 6:10 am

A durable property. This was a novel, a Broadway play in 1906, a film in 1911 and again in 1918 before the Haines film, in which Jack Pickford gets tops billing.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

WaverBoy

PostMon Apr 09, 2012 2:49 pm

Would this one be on the Warner Archive docket?

mndean

PostMon Apr 09, 2012 5:31 pm

I've seen this, but I'll watch Mary Brian in anything. I thought it was a pretty decent film (the Harvard angle doesn't play well today), but MGM did to him what Paramount did to some of its players - typecasting until it was no longer profitable. Reviews I've read recently from that era complained mightily about it. They way he nearly mauled Brian in a couple of scenes shows how much distance romance (or "romance") has come from then to now. Once I could see, since he was socially a bit inept, but twice would mean restraining orders and probable expulsion today. Now, if he became a football hero before all that, things would be different. :mrgreen:

Gagman 66

PostWed Apr 11, 2012 3:15 am

WaverBoy wrote:Would this one be on the Warner Archive docket?

Speedy,

:o I would think that both BROWN OF HARVARD and SLIDE KELLY SLIDE would be strongly considered if they had recorded scores. I doubt that Warner's would use the Philip Carli score. LOVEY MARY as well providing it's reasonably complete. That is one I'd really like to see with Haines, and Starring Bessie Love in the title role. The reality is for what ever reason they haven't even released TELL IT TO THE MARINES yet.

Anyone notice that WEST POINT which Warner's has issued, is sort of a combination of TELL IT TO THE MARINES and BROWN OF HARVARD rolled into one?

FrankFay

PostWed Apr 11, 2012 3:29 am

Gagman 66 wrote:
Anyone notice that WEST POINT which Warner's has issued, is sort of a combination of TELL IT TO THE MARINES and BROWN OF HARVARD rolled into one?

Completely. It's a very formulaic picture, enjoyable but by-the-numbers.
Eric Stott

WaverBoy

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 10:33 pm

And...still no BROWN OF HARVARD release. C'mon, WAC!

Agnes

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 6:52 am

I think this would be an opportunity to release "The William Haines Collection" as a box. Haines us a complete delight in everything he is in.He is (in my opinion) one of those actors who makes anything better....just because he us in it.
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

ajabrams

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 10:00 am

The Haines film that I wish would get a proper release is Memory Lane - some of his best acting, a great cast (Eleanor Boardman and Conrad Nagel - top billed but it's really Haines' movie) and great direction by John Stahl. Also from 1926.

WaverBoy

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 3:02 am

I just caved and shelled out a Jackson for a new copy of the Critic's Choice VHS off eBay. First new VHS I've bought in a loooooong time. This most likely means it'll be announced by the WAC for official DVD release tomorrow.

drednm

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 5:21 am

WaverBoy wrote:I just caved and shelled out a Jackson for a new copy of the Critic's Choice VHS off eBay. First new VHS I've bought in a loooooong time. This most likely means it'll be announced by the WAC for official DVD release tomorrow.

No idea why this one has not been released by WAC, but since it was a remake there may be a copyright issue. I think I have the VHS in a closet somewhere.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

boblipton

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 5:31 am

drednm wrote:
WaverBoy wrote:I just caved and shelled out a Jackson for a new copy of the Critic's Choice VHS off eBay. First new VHS I've bought in a loooooong time. This most likely means it'll be announced by the WAC for official DVD release tomorrow.

No idea why this one has not been released by WAC, but since it was a remake there may be a copyright issue. I think I have the VHS in a closet somewhere.

It's time for Haines to come out of the closet!

Bob
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson

WaverBoy

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 12:18 pm

The first new VHS I've purchased in decades. Can't wait to fire up old Betsy the VCR this evening.

The Blackbird

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 5:52 am

mndean wrote:I've seen this, but I'll watch Mary Brian in anything. I thought it was a pretty decent film (the Harvard angle doesn't play well today), but MGM did to him what Paramount did to some of its players - typecasting until it was no longer profitable. Reviews I've read recently from that era complained mightily about it. They way he nearly mauled Brian in a couple of scenes shows how much distance romance (or "romance") has come from then to now. Once I could see, since he was socially a bit inept, but twice would mean restraining orders and probable expulsion today. Now, if he became a football hero before all that, things would be different. :mrgreen:

It's always disturbed me watching Haines committing borderline sexual assault on his leading ladies in so many of his subsequent films and it baffles me completely why they were written this way. By the time we get to SPEEDWAY he's about as subtle as the Hillside Strangler yet time and time again the gals find it "charming" and for some inexplicable reason, we are also expected to. What in the world were they trying to tell impressionable audiences of the time with some of these movies? "A woman always likes it when you start pawing her, boys?" In BROWN OF HARVARD, you can't help but notice Ralph Bushman would be fully justified throughout the narrative in tearing Haines limb from limb but our boyish hero comes out on top every time. They apparently thought this character redemption theme would work indefinitely and later they keep foisting on us a lead who's such an obnoxious jerk only his mother could love him, but they seemed to assume we're in his corner right from the start. Some people can't stand Haines and I can never argue back because I can see their point. I hasten to add this by no means happens in every one of his films, but, yikes, it sure happens in a lot of them, and why so often to this particular actor? Then again, look at something like THE BARBARIAN for a sign of the times.
This is supposedly a story of a dashing sheik (Ramon Novarro) who spirits Myrna Loy away from her loveless betrothal to Reginald Denny. What it really shows us is Novarro's character "getting a load" of Myrna, pulling every dirty trick in the book to ensure he's always with her (to her increasing consternation) until in the long run, well, he rapes her. If this isn't appalling enough, every character in the film subsequently acts like all the shame is squarely on Myrna's head, and she plays the part of traumatized victim a little too realistically. Yet, somehow, we're supposed to be cheering Novarro in the end when she goes off with him, apparently because we're supposed to prefer him over Denny because Denny is a stuffed shirt. It's unbelievable. In THE CIRCLE, Malcolm MacGregor promises Eleanor Boardman that if another man ever tries to win her affections away from him he'll beat her up. Eleanor, is, of course, totally turned on by this. Thank goodness we have come so far, indeed.

On a lighter note, the interior of Haines' family mansion sure bears an amazing resemblance to John Gilbert's house in THE BIG PARADE, doesn't it? :)

The Blackbird

PostMon Jul 31, 2017 6:37 am

... which in turn looks an awful lot like the house from THE MYSTIC.

Haines took his inspriation for his portrayal of Brown from Charles Ray, whose movies he admired. taking Ray's standard boyish character and turning him inside out, making him "the freshest punk ever to draw breath." Haines was supposedly warned not to try to steal the movie from Jack Pickford (no, really) and of course bounced so much ad-libbing off him the latter was just stunned. Apparently some of the title cards were inspired by those ad-libs....

Return to Talking About Silents