Film about Taylor murder

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Gil1957

Film about Taylor murder

PostFri May 18, 2012 6:59 am

I'm just wondering if there has ever been a movie made about the murder of William Desmond Taylor. It just seems as if it would be perfect for film with all the different characters involved.

Thanks

Rob Farr

Re: Film about Taylor murder

PostFri May 18, 2012 8:56 am

Gil1957 wrote:I'm just wondering if there has ever been a movie made about the murder of William Desmond Taylor. It just seems as if it would be perfect for film with all the different characters involved.

Thanks

Hollywood Story (1951) takes a fictional Desmond-like murder as it's starting point. In his final years King Vidor attempted to get a project off the ground about the murder. And of course there are seemingly dozens of cheapjack reconstructed docu-dramas in the "Real Hollywood Story" reality TV vein.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx
www.slapsticon.org

Marilyn Slater

Re: FOREVER a Film about Taylor murder

PostSun May 20, 2012 9:05 pm

I think Bruce Long should be a consultant on any WDT project; while it is interesting to see another perspective on the case and the related attention it brings to silent film but...sometimes nothing is better than something that stays around 'forever.' There was a movie titled "FOREVER" which Sally Kirkland produced and starred Sean Young as Mary Miles Minter. A very loose translation of Robert Giroux's book and not that accurate a retelling of the WDT saga. If you go over to IMDb and read the review of FOREVER! You will understand no one will admit they saw it.

Jack Theakston

Re: Film about Taylor murder

PostSun May 20, 2012 11:41 pm

During the studio system days, I couldn't see it working to its fullest advantage (too much drugs and sex), and today, it falls under the "who cares anymore" category.
J. Theakston
Capitol Theatre, Rome, NY
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

Return to Talking About Silents