actors who played same role twice

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Rodney

Re: actors who played same role twice

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 11:59 pm

True, L&H remade several of their silents as talkies, as did W.C. Fields, so those should count. And wasn't there an actor who plays the same character in both the Fairbanks and the Flynn Robin Hoods? I remember reading that, but now can't figure out who it could have been.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Richard M Roberts

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 12:41 am

Rodney wrote:True, L&H remade several of their silents as talkies, as did W.C. Fields, so those should count. And wasn't there an actor who plays the same character in both the Fairbanks and the Flynn Robin Hoods? I remember reading that, but now can't figure out who it could have been.

Apparently Rodney has trouble perusing the thread, somebody already mentioned Alan Hale Sr playing Little John in three different ROBIN HOODS.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard Finegan

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 6:42 am

Charles Middleton portrayed Abraham Lincoln in a few different films.

Richard M Roberts

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 7:37 am

Richard Finegan wrote:Charles Middleton portrayed Abraham Lincoln in a few different films.

.....and Ming the Merciless a time or two.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Rodney

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 8:56 am

Richard M Roberts wrote:Apparently Rodney has trouble perusing the thread, somebody already mentioned Alan Hale Sr playing Little John in three different ROBIN HOODS.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

That's the guy! Thanks.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 5:34 pm

How about Noel Neill playing Lois Lane in two otherwise completely separate Superman incarnations (the serials and the 50s TV series)?
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Agnes

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 7:59 pm

The Cardinal in both Robin Hood (21) & The Iron Mask (29) was mentioned, but how about Fairbanks,Sr. playing D'Artangian in both films?
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

Rodney

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 8:17 pm

Agnes wrote:The Cardinal in both Robin Hood (21) & The Iron Mask (29) was mentioned, but how about Fairbanks,Sr. playing D'Artangian in both films?

Well, that's a sequel rather than a remake. But he did play the lead in Reaching for the Moon twice, which is the same character, same plot.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com

Rollo Treadway

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 8:23 pm

Rodney wrote:
Agnes wrote:The Cardinal in both Robin Hood (21) & The Iron Mask (29) was mentioned, but how about Fairbanks,Sr. playing D'Artangian in both films?

Well, that's a sequel rather than a remake.

And here I was under the impression that The Iron Mask was a sequel to The Three Musketeers. You learn something new every day around here. :wink:

David Menefee

• Location: Author, editor, and Assistant Publisher BearManor Media

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 11:05 am

OTIS SKINNER played Hajj the beggar in Kismet (1911) on Broadway, and he continued playing it on stage for years, recreating his performance both in the 1920 silent film version and the 1930 sound film version. The remarkable story of his career and his work in Kismet can be found in Falling Stars: 10 Who Tried to be a Movie Star (2011), available now in both print and Kindle editions.
Last edited by David Menefee on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

dr.giraud

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 11:35 am

George Tobias in similar (but not quite the same) roles as Soviet functionaries in NINOTCHKA and SILK STOCKINGS.
dr. giraud

Daniel Eagan

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 3:04 pm

Does Frank McGlynn count? He had the title role in the 1919 play Abraham Lincoln, then played Lincoln in The Littlest Rebel and The Plainsman, and something called Are We Civilized (which I haven't seen). I think he also did a Lincoln excerpt for a DeForest talkie short.

Strictly speaking, The Hobbit isn't a sequel to The Lord of the Rings. Ian McKellen is in both trilogies, as are Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Christopher Lee, and Andy Serkis, among others.

bobfells

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 3:42 pm

I don't believe anybody mentioned Reginald Owen as King Louis XV in three unrelated films: VOLTAIRE (1933), MADAME DUBARRY (1934), and MONSIEUR BEAUCAIRE (1946).

Straddling the silent and sound era, George Marion Sr. played the same role in ANNA CHRISTIE in (1923) and (1930).

mndean

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 7:20 pm

dr.giraud wrote:George Tobias in similar (but not quite the same) roles as Soviet functionaries in NINOTCHKA and SILK STOCKINGS.

An odd one I ran into when I researched Mary Brian was that she played Cappy Ricks' daughter twice, but under different names i.e. Betty Ricks in More Pay, Less Work, and Frances Ricks in The Affairs Of Cappy Ricks. So, also similar but not quite the same.

Richard Finegan

Actor who played same role 8 times

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Sidney Blackmer played Theodore Roosevelt in seven films and one TV show.

JFK

BUSTER CRABBE and EDDIE SUTHERLAND- sort of

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 8:11 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buster_Crabbe#Television
"Crabbe made regular television appearances, including one on an episode of the 1979 series Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, in which he played a retired fighter pilot named "Brigadier Gordon" in honor of Flash Gordon. When Rogers (Gil Gerard) praises his flying, Gordon replies "I've been doing that sort of thing since before you were born." Rogers (who was born over 500 years earlier) responds "You think so?" to which Gordon replies "Young man, I know so!" Crabbe had, in fact, been playing "Buck Rogers" since long before Gerard was born."

ImageImage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Sutherland
"A. Edward Sutherland aka Eddie Sutherland (January 5, 1895 – December 31, 1973) .... acted in 37 known films early in his career, beginning as a Keystone Cop in Tillie's Punctured Romance (1914), which starred Charles Chaplin, Mabel Normand, and Marie Dressler."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tillie's_Punctured_Romance_(1928_film)
"Tillie's Punctured Romance is a 1928 circus comedy starring W. C. Fields as a ringmaster and Louise Fazenda as a runaway. Written by Monte Brice and Keene Thompson and directed by A. Edward Sutherland, this movie has nothing to do with the revered 1914 Charles Chaplin film aside from sharing the same title. However, Chester Conklin and Mack Swain appear in both films."
Last edited by JFK on Tue May 22, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

boblipton

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 8:20 pm

Over in the Pre-Code vs. Code era thread, someone mentioned Broadway Bill and Riding High, which has several actors playing the same roles, including Raymond Walburn and Clarence Muse. The second also lifts a lot of clips with the usual Capra extras in the same place.

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

Richard M Roberts

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 11:24 pm

Another one I just thought of: Fred Kohler Sr. plays Captain Blackie twice in Paramount's RIVER OF ROMANCE (1929) with Buddy Rogers, then again in MISSISSIPPI (1935) with W. C. Fields and Bing Crosby, both based on Booth Tarkington's play MAGNOLIA.

And Sheldon Lewis played Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde twice on film, once in the 1920 silent version, then again in the 1934 one-reel talkie version of his Vaudeville playlet.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard M Roberts

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 11:30 pm

boblipton wrote:Over in the Pre-Code vs. Code era thread, someone mentioned Broadway Bill and Riding High, which has several actors playing the same roles, including Raymond Walburn and Clarence Muse. The second also lifts a lot of clips with the usual Capra extras in the same place.

Bob

It's more than clips. Douglas Dumbrille has to wear the same hat to match up some of his re-used footage from BB in RH.
Billy West actually sued Paramount for more compensation their re-use of his BB appearance in the montage where the rumors regarding the horse being a sure thing spreads. Paramount settled with him out of court.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Richard Finegan

PostThu Dec 13, 2012 12:40 am

Although under different character names, Margaret Seddon and Margaret McWade portrayed The "Pixilated Sisters" in at least four different unrelated movies.

David Menefee

PostSun Dec 23, 2012 10:58 am

WALLACE REID as Toodles Walden in The Roaring Road (1919) and Excuse My Dust (1920).

David Menefee

PostSun Dec 23, 2012 11:00 am

RICHARD BARTHELMESS as Tommy Gray in Bab's Burglar (1917) and Bab's Diary (1917).

David Menefee

PostSun Dec 23, 2012 11:04 am

RUDOLPH VALENTINO as Ahmed Ben Hassan in The Sheik (1921) and Son of The Sheik (1926).

FrankFay

PostSun Dec 23, 2012 11:16 am

I think we should rule out actors who played the same roles in sequels or in series films.
Eric Stott

Richard Finegan

PostSun Dec 23, 2012 3:41 pm

William Frawley in both versions of THE LEMON DROP KID (1934 & 1951).

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostTue May 22, 2018 2:18 pm

mndean wrote:
dr.giraud wrote:George Tobias in similar (but not quite the same) roles as Soviet functionaries in NINOTCHKA and SILK STOCKINGS.

An odd one I ran into when I researched Mary Brian was that she played Cappy Ricks' daughter twice, but under different names i.e. Betty Ricks in More Pay, Less Work, and Frances Ricks in The Affairs Of Cappy Ricks. So, also similar but not quite the same.

Presume the eleven-year difference between the films meant she had to play an older character...

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostTue May 22, 2018 2:23 pm

Olin Howland played Mr Davis, the teacher in both the 1933 and 1949 filmings of LITTLE WOMEN.

moviepas

PostThu May 24, 2018 3:44 am

How about Broadway Bill(Col1934) & Riding High(Para 1950). Different studios but same director(Frank Capra) and many of the same people in it with Bing Crosby added?

sepiatone

PostThu May 24, 2018 2:34 pm

Chloris Leachman played Molly Brown twice in two separate Titanic incarnations, a 1957 television presentation and 1979's S.O.S. Titanic.

E. J. Ratcliffe had three goes as Teddy Roosevelt, two in the silent era and a third in the talkies.

2 Reel

PostThu May 24, 2018 3:25 pm

Wallace read as "Toodles" Walden in The Roaring Road (1919) and Excuse My Dust (1920).
They call me "Dangerous Dal"
PreviousNext

Return to Talking About Silents