actors who played same role twice

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

sepiatone

actors who played same role twice

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 3:12 pm

what are some films/roles that actors have repeated, either in another silent film or in a talkie? this may also include multi language versions of the same story such as Garbo in English-and-German "Anna Christie".

some examples:
Lon Chaney - The Unholy Three, 1925(silent), 1930(sound)
Thomas Meighan - The Land of Promise(1917 silent), The Canadian(1926 silent)
Corinne Griffith - Lillies of the Field, 1924(silent), 1930(sound)
Mae Murray - Peacock Alley, 1921(silent), 1930(sound)
Myrtle Stedman - Woman on the Jury(1924 silent), The Love Racket(1929 silent-sound hybrid)
Last edited by sepiatone on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sepiatone

Re: actors who played same role twice

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 3:15 pm

Mary Pickford- Tess of the Storm Country (1914, 1922)

Hal Erickson

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 3:26 pm

George Arliss starred in both the silent and sound versions of THE MAN WHO PLAYED GOD, THE GREEN GODDESS and DISRAELI. Alice Joyce likewise played the heroine in both versions of GREEN GODDESS. Alan Hale Sr. played Little John in three Robin Hood pictures, 1 silent and 2 talkie. And Margaret Wycherly repeated her stage role as the phony mystic in the silent and early-sound versions of THE 13TH CHAIR.
Leaving silents for a moment, Edward Everett Horton plays the same character in the 1930 and 1938 versions of HOLIDAY. And Frank McHugh repeats his role from 1932's ONE WAY PASSAGE in the 1940 remake TIL WE MEET AGAIN.

Michael O'Regan

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Does Garbo in Love (27) and Anna Karenina (35) count?

boblipton

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 5:52 pm

Seymour Hicks played Ebenezer Scrooge in Old Scrooge (1913) and in Scrooge (1935). Alan Hale Sr. played Little John three times: with Fairbanks, with Flynn and in his last movie role. And if we're talking talkies, Bette Davis played Elizabeth I twice.

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

bobfells

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 6:28 pm

Edward Arnold as Diamond Jim Brady in DIAMOND JIM (1935) and LILLIAN RUSSELL (1940)
Colin Clive as Dr. Frankenstein, 1931 & 1935
Nigel de Brulier as Cardinal Richelieu in THREE MUSKETEERS (1921), IRON MASK (1929), and THREE MUSKETEERS (1939)

Does a character in a recurring series count such as Basil Rathbone & Nigel Bruce as Holmes & Watson? Perhaps we should just count one-shot deals rather than sequels and series?
Last edited by bobfells on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobfells

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Hal Erickson wrote:George Arliss starred in both the silent and sound versions of THE MAN WHO PLAYED GOD, THE GREEN GODDESS and DISRAELI.

True, but Mr. A also played the same character of James Alden in the silent THE RULING PASSION (1922) and its talkie remake THE MILLIONAIRE (1931); also Mr. A played John Reeves in TWENTY DOLLARS A WEEK (1924) and its talkie remake, THE WORKING MAN (1933).

Edward Arnold as Diamond Jim Brady in DIAMOND JIM (1935) and LILLIAN RUSSELL (1940)
Colin Clive as Dr. Frankenstein, 1931 & 1935
Nigel de Brulier as Cardinal Richelieu in THREE MUSKETEERS (1921), IRON MASK (1929), and THREE MUSKETEERS (1939)

Does a character in a recurring series count such as Basil Rathbone & Nigel Bruce as Holmes & Watson? Perhaps we should just count one-shot deals rather than sequels and series?

JFK

JOHN BARRYMORE: AHAB-2 MOBY-0

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 7:11 pm

Last edited by JFK on Tue May 22, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sepiatone

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 7:33 pm

bobfells wrote:

[/quote]

yeah, just one shot deals for this thread , cause then it'll delve off into other avenues such as the rare case of actors playing the role 3 times or appearing in unrelated films with the same titles ala Fairbanks 1917 and 1931 films REACHING FOR THE MOON, both unrelated to one another. Or DeMille directing three versions of THE SQUAW MAN. So Rathbone and Bruce in Sherlock Holmes, that's more a serial/series with the stories unrelated from film to film.

sepiatone

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 7:39 pm

Lois Wilson - THE SHOW OFF (1926, 1934)

sepiatone

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 7:40 pm

Michael O'Regan wrote:Does Garbo in Love (27) and Anna Karenina (35) count?

sure!

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Edward Everett Horton played Nick Potter in both versions of Holiday.

A number of actors have gotten identified with a particular historical figure-- the guy who plays Lincoln in Hands Up! was the star of The Dramatic Life of Abraham Lincoln; and didn't somebody have a clip of Gance's Napoleon, Albert Dieudonne, playing him in a 40s talkie?

Here's one to stump everybody-- Anton Walbrook in the '36 French and '37 English-language versions of Michael Strogoff. Unlike a dual-language shoot, these were effectively separate shoots (with the latter using footage from the former). Different movies, or alternate versions of the same movie? You could argue either convincingly....
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

sepiatone

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 7:56 pm

I wouldn't count the delightful Alice White in SHOW GIRL(1928 silent) and SHOW GIRL IN HOLLYWOOD(1930 sound) because the latter is a sequel.
I would count Julia Faye in both versions of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS(1923,1956), though just barely cause the '23 version has a modern story but Faye appears in the Biblical elements of both films, that's good enough.

sepiatone

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 8:08 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:
Here's one to stump everybody-- Anton Walbrook in the '36 French and '37 English-language versions of Michael Strogoff. Unlike a dual-language shoot, these were effectively separate shoots (with the latter using footage from the former). Different movies, or alternate versions of the same movie? You could argue either convincingly....

I amended my original post to include actors on both sides of the silent and sound spectrum as the responses are getting very interesting. Mike's mention of Anton Walbrook playing the same role twice in a year is great as he did appear in silent movies.

But I wouldn't have been able to include Ingrid Bergman in both versions of INTERMEZZO as she was a child during the silent era and didn't appear professionally in silent movies. So now my post reflects the heading by just saying actors.

JFK

RAYMOND MASSEY: BOOTH-4 LINCOLN-0

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 8:46 pm

ImageImage

Not sure if I understand new parameters- does one of the performances have to be a silent?
If not, Massey -who began in silents-
won the war as Honest Abe four times (on the screen and tube)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0557339/bio#trademark
and started the war as John Brown twice.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0557339/
(and speaking of Massey, his one-time co-star John Alexander
portrayed both Teddy Roosevelt, and (twice) a man who only thought he was).
Last edited by JFK on Tue May 22, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

boblipton

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 8:55 pm

Impressive, JFK, but Donovan Scott has played Santa Claus eight times in different tv shows since 2000.

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

JFK

EDDIE FOY GEORGE M. COHAN GUIDO PANZINI MCHUGH TOOMEY

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 9:19 pm

EDDIE FOY as a Character------EDDIE FOY JR.- Wikipedia
Eddie Foy Sr. provided employment for his kids in silents,
and, after his death, in talkies.
Charley Foy portrayed his father once,
and Eddie Foy Jr assumed his father's mantle five times,
once, opposite James Cagney's George M. Cohan
(Cagney repeated as Cohan in Bob Hope's The Seven Little Foys).

Mickey Rooney played George M Cohan twice in tv biopics,
in both cases he was co-starred with Foy Jr.,
but with Jr. cast as Sr. in only one of these productions.

Pat Harrington Jr. played his "Guido Panzini" on both
McHale's Navy and The Man From U.N.C.L.E.,
a (fictional) time span of two decades.
Guido Panzini as Character

Image Image
The Crowd Roars (1932) J.Cagney:Joe Greer A.Dvorak:Lee Merrick E.Linden:Eddie Greer
Frank McHugh:Spud Connors Regis Toomey:Dick Wilbur

Indianapolis Speedway (1939) A.Sheridan:Frankie Merrick P.O'Brien:Joe Greer J.Payne:Eddie Greer
Frank McHugh:Spud Connors Regis Toomey:Dick Wilbur

Trivia
"Stock footage was temporarily removed from The Crowd Roars to be used in the remake, Indianapolis Speedway; when it was replaced back into this film's negative, some of the "Indianapolis Speedway" footage got mixed in with it, so that you now see 1939 footage in a 1932 film, including shots of a late 1930s ambulance and automobiles as well as racing announcers Wendell Niles, John Conte and Reid Kilpatrick, who did not appear in the film as it was originally released. Frank McHugh plays the same character in the remake .... The remake even uses footage of McHugh from the first film to save on production expenses. ."
Last edited by JFK on Tue May 22, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bobfells

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 9:53 pm

Charles Laughton played two Characters twice in separate films:
Henry VIII in THE PRIVATE LIFE OF...(1933) and in YOUNG BESS (1953)
Capt. Kidd in CAPTAIN KIDD (1945) and in ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET CAPT. KIDD (1952)

Ernest Torrence played William Jackson and Tully Marshall played Jim Bridger in THE COVERED WAGON (1923) and FIGHTING CARAVANS (1931)

Ramon Novarro played the same character of Jamil in THE ARAB (1924) and its talkie remake THE BARBARIAN (1933)
Last edited by bobfells on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JFK

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE KARLOFF LORRE ALEXANDER....

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Boris Karloff, contractually prevented from
duplicating his stage creation of Jonathon Brewster
in the first filmed version of Arsenic.
played the role in three different TV versions,
in 1949, opposite Josephine Hull (from the Broadway and film version)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0581352/fullcredits#cast,
in 1955, with Peter Lorre, John Alexander, and Edward Everett Horton
(all repeating from the Capra film)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0225093/fullcredits#cast
and, in 1962, with Tony Randall Dorothy Stickney Mildred Natwick
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0595267/

Boris also did a radio rendering with Eddie Albert.
LISTEN HERE FOR FREE
http://archive.org/details/ScreenGuildTheater
Last edited by JFK on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobfells

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 10:10 pm

JFK, you have fine researching skills but I'm doing this from memory!

How about Humphrey Bogart as Duke Mantee in THE PETRIFIED FOREST (1936) and on TV in 1955.

Monty Woolley as Sheridan Whiteside in THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER (1942) and on TV in 1954.

I remember seeing Joseph Crehan as U.S. Grant in UNION PACIFIC (1939) and THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON (1941) but a check with imdb reveals that he played Grant nine times!

greta de groat

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 1:00 am

Ivan Mosjoukine remade two of his silents, Casanova and L'enfant du carnaval, though i haven't heard of anyone who has seen them (there are no IMDB reviews)

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Richard M Roberts

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 4:52 am

Mike Gebert wrote:Edward Everett Horton played Nick Potter in both versions of Holiday.

A number of actors have gotten identified with a particular historical figure-- the guy who plays Lincoln in Hands Up! was the star of The Dramatic Life of Abraham Lincoln; and didn't somebody have a clip of Gance's Napoleon, Albert Dieudonne, playing him in a 40s talkie?

Alternate and very different versions of the same movie, both of them good. The other strange hybrid film like this is THE REBEL SON OF TARAS BULBA(1938) which, like MICHAEL STROGOFF/SOLDIER AND THE LADY takes out the nice expensive looking battle scenes and the lead from the 1936 European version (Harry Baur is Taras Bulba in both) and shoots english language footage to match with a British cast, a bit less successfully here when you have Brits like Anthony Bushell and Roger Livesley playing mongol savages (" I say, lets go over and rape and pillage that village, what?"). Then again, in MICHAEL STROGOFF, you also have Ward Bond playing a Russian Soldier.

BTW, fittingly with this thread, just this week I watched Jimmy Stewart play Elwood P. Dowd for the second time in the 1972 Hallmark Hall of Fame version of HARVEY with Helen Hayes, Richard Mulligan, John McGiver, Arlene Francis, Martin Gabel, and Fred Gwynne. Frankly, Stewart's not as good as he was in the 1950 film, as he had just redone the role on the stage and didn't completely tone it down for the television version, and though he was too young the first time he did it, he's too old in the second version (Dowd's age is given as 57 in the play). They also re-used the original Harvey as well.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

boblipton

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 5:13 am

Bobby Watson played Hitler in at least ten movies from The Devil with Hitler through Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (1962).

Bob
— Joe Darion

R Michael Pyle

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 7:37 am

Betty Compson in silent version "Woman to Woman" (1923); re-made in 1929 as a soundie - and it's good, may I add!

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 9:43 am

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this one yet: Rudolph Valentino played Ahmed Ben Hassan, better known as The Sheik, in 1921 and again five years later. By the time of his second appearance, in The Son of the Sheik, the character has aged twenty-some years, so Rudy sports a goatee and a touch of grey at the temples for the role. And that's always poignant to see because, of course, he died just as the sequel went into wide release, at age 31.
-- Charlie Morrow

bobfells

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 10:20 am

Wm. Charles Morrow wrote:I'm surprised no one's mentioned this one yet: Rudolph Valentino played Ahmed Ben Hassan, better known as The Sheik, in 1921 and again five years later. By the time of his second appearance, in The Son of the Sheik, the character has aged twenty-some years, so Rudy sports a goatee and a touch of grey at the temples for the role. And that's always poignant to see because, of course, he died just as the sequel went into wide release, at age 31.

True, but I think we're supposed to avoid sequels. If not, then I'll add Henry Fonda as Frank James in JESSE JAMES (1939) and THE RETURN OF FRANK JAMES (1940) - and John Carradine too as Bob Ford.

Salty Dog

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 10:23 am

No silents, here, but Clark Gable in Red Dust and the remake, Mogambo.
Bill Coleman

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 10:36 am

bobfells wrote:
Wm. Charles Morrow wrote:I'm surprised no one's mentioned this one yet: Rudolph Valentino played Ahmed Ben Hassan, better known as The Sheik, in 1921 and again five years later. By the time of his second appearance, in The Son of the Sheik, the character has aged twenty-some years, so Rudy sports a goatee and a touch of grey at the temples for the role. And that's always poignant to see because, of course, he died just as the sequel went into wide release, at age 31.

True, but I think we're supposed to avoid sequels.

Oops, I guess I misinterpreted the rules.

But I can still use the second example that occurred to me, from the talkie era: Brian Donlevy and Akim Tamiroff reprising the roles of McGinty and The Boss (from The Great McGinty) in The Miracle of Morgan's Creek. I wouldn't call the latter a sequel to the former. The re-appearance of those two characters was more along the lines of an inside joke.
-- Charlie Morrow

sepiatone

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 10:39 am

right! , sequels don't count as they are a continuing and different story with the same character. Mogambo does count as a great example, Gable plays much the same character in the same story. As mentioned above Julia Faye may or may not be the same character in THE TEN COMMANDMENTS(as per the dvd commentary) but she's in the same story between the two films 33 years apart as with Lois Wilson in the two versions of THE SHOW OFF, the same story.

Rollo Treadway

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 11:52 am

Stan Laurel and Mae Busch in Love 'Em and Weep (1927) and the talkie remake Chickens Come Home (1931). Oliver Hardy and James Finlayson also appear in both versions, but since the latter was an official Laurel & Hardy comedy, they switched roles (Fin had the main role in the original, though new contract player Mae Busch was top-billed.)

Chickens Come Home was also simultaneously made in an extended Spanish language version with Stan and Ollie and Fin, Politiquerías.

One could also mention other Laurel & Hardy remakes such as Duck Soup (1927)/Another Fine Mess (1930) and Angora Love (1929)*)/Laughing Gravy (1931).

*)Probably Edward D. Wood Jr.'s favourite L&H short.
Next

Return to Talking About Silents