Loving The Classics: A Warning

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Brent

Re: Loving The Classics: A Warning

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 1:42 am

Three pages of almost uniformly negative experiences and heaven knows how many other bad reviews all over the internet. Anyone still still daft enough to order from these crooks after reading that lot shouldn't be complaining when they get burned.
Brenton Film: The past, present and future of silent film
BrentonFilm.com
Twitter.com/BrentonFilm
Facebook.com/BrentonFilm

drednm

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 8:51 am

Add Zeus DVD to the list.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

Brent

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 5:06 pm

BrentonFilm.com
Twitter.com/BrentonFilm
Facebook.com/BrentonFilm

sepiatone

PostSun Nov 01, 2015 8:41 am

I wish someone from Loving The Classics would come on N'ville and clear up what's going on with orders. They seem to do good service in spurts as some people seem to have good experiences. Others are having negative ordering efforts. They have some great hard to find silents: ie one by each Barrymore brother, The Incorrigible Dukane(1915, John's earliest film surviving) and The Copperhead(1920 Lionel based on a stage play). Both I'd wager are Public Domain films now.
Last edited by sepiatone on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

R Michael Pyle

PostSun Nov 01, 2015 12:31 pm

"The Incorrigible Dukane" is in horrible condition already; I'd hate to think what the print from Loving the Classics might look like - ugh!

Real_McCoy

PostSun Nov 01, 2015 3:52 pm

I have bought over 20 movies from them. but the last order took a very long time and was sent piecemeal. I was persistent & refused to accept that behavior. after finally receiving the last title I dropped them as a source of movies. I think they got too busy for their own good.

Brent

PostMon Nov 02, 2015 4:59 am

Loving the Classics steal many of their transfers from some of the niche legitimate DVD labels so beloved by members of these forums. Why is anybody here patronising them at all, regardless of how long their orders take to arrive - if they arrive at all? Are some of you so selfish and desperate that you're willing to buy substandard copies from anyone, no matter how criminal their methods?
BrentonFilm.com
Twitter.com/BrentonFilm
Facebook.com/BrentonFilm

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostMon Nov 02, 2015 9:24 am

R Michael Pyle wrote:"The Incorrigible Dukane" is in horrible condition already; I'd hate to think what the print from Loving the Classics might look like - ugh!

I seem to recall THE INCORRIGIBLE DUKANE being scheduled at London's NFT back in the 70s or 80s, possibly on one of their 'Archive Nights'. It would be interesting if anyone on NV has any memories of the show...

sepiatone

PostMon Nov 02, 2015 11:53 am

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:
R Michael Pyle wrote:"The Incorrigible Dukane" is in horrible condition already; I'd hate to think what the print from Loving the Classics might look like - ugh!

I seem to recall THE INCORRIGIBLE DUKANE being scheduled at London's NFT back in the 70s or 80s, possibly on one of their 'Archive Nights'. It would be interesting if anyone on NV has any memories of the show...

There were two individual prints of this movie that survived. One may be superior to the other. The clip of the film on Youtube may be of a superior quality than LTC's dvd of the film or even vice versa. Having never seen the film in it's entirety I can't vouch for the quality of the story but considering it's vintage it's worth a look for posterity's and historical sake.

trevorha

PostTue Nov 10, 2015 9:20 am

I wish I had read this thread before I was duped into parting with my money.

Ordered films 6 weeks ago but they don't reply to my emails.

Brent

PostTue Nov 10, 2015 1:34 pm

Well Trevor, it can be a good or bad thing, depending on how you look at it. If they don't arrive, what you paid for was an important lesson. If they do arrive, they'll likely be crap quality and pretty unwatchable anyway.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." - Randy Pausch

However, if you'd rather not pay for any more experience like that, follow my link in post #3 on this page!
BrentonFilm.com
Twitter.com/BrentonFilm
Facebook.com/BrentonFilm

Real_McCoy

PostWed Nov 11, 2015 2:51 pm

trevorha wrote:I wish I had read this thread before I was duped into parting with my money.

you got to hound them. if you don't they'll ignore you. goodbye money. even a bad copy is better than nothing.

Brooksie

PostWed Nov 11, 2015 3:26 pm

Real_McCoy wrote:
trevorha wrote:I wish I had read this thread before I was duped into parting with my money.

you got to hound them. if you don't they'll ignore you. goodbye money. even a bad copy is better than nothing.

Yes, keep contacting them. If you didn't get your movie within a few weeks, you never will, so just ask for your money back. They will probably suggest that you choose a different title in their catalogue. Don't - just take your money and run. To them, 'Out of Stock' means 'We don't actually have this title - we just pretend to so we can sell you something we do have.'

It's what you might call a 'soft' scam, but it's a scam all the same.

yorkmba99

PostWed Dec 09, 2015 12:35 am

Nov 15
Hi,
I want to place an order for 5-6 items, what kind of volume discount do you offer, and what about combined shipping?

Nov 15
Hello,
We may be able to offer a discount depending on which films you want and how rare they are. Can you provide us with the list of movies you're interested in?

Nov 15
List provided....
Silence
Silence
No replies to multiple phone calls and emails.

I suppose this means that they don't actually have the items in the list, and placing an order would be foolish.

Real_McCoy

PostWed Dec 16, 2015 5:46 pm

I have received 5 emails a week for many months from them. If I were to place a 5 disc order I'd got one disc. Then nothing. then a couple months later another disc. I mean its really not worth having to hound them incessantly. The movies are ok - its the method in which you receive them that is the problem. They are hopeless.

avance

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 5:05 am

Real_McCoy wrote:I have received 5 emails a week for many months from them. If I were to place a 5 disc order I'd got one disc. Then nothing. then a couple months later another disc. I mean its really not worth having to hound them incessantly. The movies are ok - its the method in which you receive them that is the problem. They are hopeless.

Just to let people know, their website appears to be down.

https://www.lovingtheclassics.com/

Always stayed clear of them myself.

Amran

lou

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 5:50 am

It doesn't look down to me, I recall I received a message from LTC some months ago, if I remember well they were trying to improve the service. I wonder if they did?

http://films-muets.blogspot.com/

... So ride, boldly ride, to the end of the rainbow ... Ride, boldly ride, till you find El Dorado ...
(El Dorado Howard Hawks, 1966)

Rick Lanham

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 9:44 am

“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Hamilton's Grandson

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 7:37 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Just received email today from them saying that they are offering all of their public domain titles for 25% off. Sounds like a clearance sale.?
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Previous

Return to Talking About Silents