Loving The Classics: A Warning

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

entredeuxguerres

Re: Loving The Classics: A Warning

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 2:13 pm

Changsham wrote:I have nothing but praise for Paypals customer protection. I have had three incidents where I had had my money refunded by Paypal for goods bought on Ebay where the seller refused to refund for less than satisfactory products. Including a purchase of over $2000 for fake antiques.

Sounds like you were luckier than I was in a similar dispute that lingered six-months. Involved about $1500 and an antique that wasn't fake but in misrepresented condition. Paypal took action only when I finally called my bank & asked for a charge-back--THAT got their attention right away!

silentmovies742

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 3:58 pm

I thought you might want an update, and so here is the story so far:

1.) Order item, item doesn't arrive
2.) Contact LTC by email, no reponse. Contact them 4 more times still no response.
3.) Ring them - no response.
3.) Finally contact them on there facebook page, and get a response that they were having "problems" (no apology)
4.) About 5 days later, finally offered replacement disc to be sent out or a refund
5.) Replacement disc of original film not available anymore (funny that)
6.) My first choice of alternative not available either
7.) They say they are sending out the chosen disc within 48 hours and I will get a notification when they do
8.) No notification - had to contact on facebook again to find out if it had been sent
9.) Today the the chosen film arrives. Actually a serial - but they only sent disc 2, having forgotten to send disc 1
10.) Back to facebook to ask for a refund.
11.) Told refund has been sent.
12.) Refund not arrived.
13.) Find out they sent it to an email address that I use that has nothing to do with paypal, so have to add that to paypal in order to receive refund.
14.) They told me which email address it had been sent to via their facebook wall - thus making my private email address public!
15.) Refund received is $6 short of what I paid, which I am now pursuing.
16.) On no occasion has the word "sorry" been uttered!

drednm

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 7:23 pm

As I said. When I posted on their Facebook account WHY ARE YOU EVEN IN BUSINESS IF YOU CAN'T BOTHER TO SEND OUT A DISK? They never answered and blocked me from their Facebook page.

Says it all.

Like several other venders, I suspect they don't really have the films they advertise they have. So after you order a film, they have to chase down a copy from one of several other venders. I've run into this with other sellers. They simply do not have on hand the films they advertise as having.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

Changsham

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 10:33 pm

entredeuxguerres wrote:
Changsham wrote:I have nothing but praise for Paypals customer protection. I have had three incidents where I had had my money refunded by Paypal for goods bought on Ebay where the seller refused to refund for less than satisfactory products. Including a purchase of over $2000 for fake antiques.

Sounds like you were luckier than I was in a similar dispute that lingered six-months. Involved about $1500 and an antique that wasn't fake but in misrepresented condition. Paypal took action only when I finally called my bank & asked for a charge-back--THAT got their attention right away!

Not my experience. The whole process from engaging with the un-coperative seller, initiating the complaint, returning the fakes and getting my money back took about 5 weeks. Correspondence with Paypal was helpful and always timely. As I live in Australia and the dealer was in the USA it was a great relief that I could get an international refund. Would have been impossible before Paypal. The other two complaints for lesser money took even quicker to resolve.

As for LTC. I have only bought one DVD from them with no problems. Might look elsewhere though now.

silentmovies742

PostFri Mar 15, 2013 11:42 am

And banned from their facebook page! Oh well, there's always twitter.

EDIT. Twitter works. But i also got an email accusing me of trying get money out of them for shipping that I wasn't entitled to, because it says in terms and conditions that refunds for shipping will not occur!

Tintin

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 7:58 pm

drednm wrote:Add Scooter Movies Shop to the list. Going on 2 months with an order for one film. No film, no response, no credit.

Same here - it has only been three weeks for me, but I haven't heard a word from Scooter's since I submitted an order. I've had the same experience with Loving the Classics that others have, sometimes they arrive quickly, sometimes I have to write several times. So far I haven't had any bad experiences using IOffer, though.

moviepas

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 4:47 am

I did have trouble on ioffer from one guy who I had used before and it took many e-mails and ioffer's help to get a refund but I finally got the discs which I had to return. Tragically, it involved two orders and they were not for me. I have had an item or three not received from others and all but one was replaced and I received a refund from one for a number of undelivered items and he refused to deal with me again. I was accused of playing games and he said he would know if I tried to order another way or get someone else to order. Because, in this case, one of the films was for someone else, I lost the faith of that person and she never spoke to me or ordered another DVD from me except to tell me she got the title elsewhere by her own search. That's how it goes I guess.

DShepFilm

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 11:03 pm

I purchased two films from scootermovies. They arrived after about one month. One was copied from TCM (bug and all). The other was bootlegged from Grapevine, you can only imagine how awful. Of course I blame only myself for dealing with a pirate, but at least I wasn't drawn and quartered, nor did they cost too many pieces of eight!

David Shepard

drednm

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 9:22 am

Is Scooter still in business?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Henry Nicolella

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 9:42 am

They're giving people the business-but no dvds. I ordered a dvd from them over a month ago. They charged my credit card immediately but every time I checked my order on their website it was listed as "processing", not sent. I checked around a little bit and found that many people had complained about them (though they had a couple of satisfied customers). A couple of weeks ago I e mailed and threatened to contact Better Business Bureau, etc,etc. He wrote back saying my dvd would be sent out within the week (I gather I was lucky even to get a response) Nothing so far. I e mailed yesterday and said I wanted a refund. Not likely that I'll get an answer or the refund but if by some miracle I do, I'll post again.
Henry Nicolella

Brooksie

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 12:51 pm

Still nothing on my LTC order, and no response to my emails. It's going on six weeks now ... :?

drednm

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Henry Nicolella wrote:

They're giving people the business-but no dvds. I ordered a dvd from them over a month ago. They charged my credit card immediately but every time I checked my order on their website it was listed as "processing", not sent. I checked around a little bit and found that many people had complained about them (though they had a couple of satisfied customers). A couple of weeks ago I e mailed and threatened to contact Better Business Bureau, etc,etc. He wrote back saying my dvd would be sent out within the week (I gather I was lucky even to get a response) Nothing so far. I e mailed yesterday and said I wanted a refund. Not likely that I'll get an answer or the refund but if by some miracle I do, I'll post again.
Henry Nicolella

Yup same. I ordered a film in January. Nothing. I had good luck with him til end of last year or so......
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Mitch Farish

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 1:33 pm

I decided to take LTC up on their 30% discount because I had never dealt with them before and since they say they are trying to make amends I thought this was the best time to order. About two weeks ago they sent an email saying one of the items in my order was temporarily out of stock and the shipment would be delayed from 1 to 4 weeks. I thought four weeks was a fairly long time, but I'll cut them some slack unless the shipment doesn't arrive after four weeks. I will let you know what happens.

CoffeeDan

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 11:23 pm

I'd like to add that the US Postal Service is also your friend in these transactions.

By law, a vendor doing business by mail can take up to four weeks to process and ship your order. Any more than that, and they have to notify you in writing (e.g., "Allow 4 to 8 weeks for processing"); otherwise, it becomes a postal matter.

Years ago, when I was buying records and CDs from the Smithsonian Institution (of all places!), they routinely would sit on an order for weeks or months with no response. When letters and phone calls proved fruitless, I asked our local postmaster if he could do anything. He gave me some simple paperwork to fill out, and told me, "We'll take care of it. Let us know if there are any more delays."

I didn't have to. In the few times I've had to sic the USPS on mail vendors, I got my merchandise or a refund within a week.

Mitch Farish

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 11:54 am

CoffeeDan wrote:I'd like to add that the US Postal Service is also your friend in these transactions.

By law, a vendor doing business by mail can take up to four weeks to process and ship your order. Any more than that, and they have to notify you in writing (e.g., "Allow 4 to 8 weeks for processing"); otherwise, it becomes a postal matter.

Years ago, when I was buying records and CDs from the Smithsonian Institution (of all places!), they routinely would sit on an order for weeks or months with no response. When letters and phone calls proved fruitless, I asked our local postmaster if he could do anything. He gave me some simple paperwork to fill out, and told me, "We'll take care of it. Let us know if there are any more delays."

I didn't have to. In the few times I've had to sic the USPS on mail vendors, I got my merchandise or a refund within a week.

Thanks for the tip. Hope I won't have to use it this time.

sepiatone

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 12:56 pm

CoffeeDan wrote:I'd like to add that the US Postal Service is also your friend in these transactions.

paperwork to fill out, and told me, "We'll take care of it. Let us know if there are any more delays."

that's the beauty of using a Postal Money Order. I had to retrieve money once, about 20 years ago, when a company I sent money to flaked out and I never heard from them again. I can't remember but I may have had to pay a processing fee 1 to 3 dollars or something and I got my frigging money back with no problem.

silentmovies742

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 9:01 am

Brooksie wrote:Still nothing on my LTC order, and no response to my emails. It's going on six weeks now ... :?

Contact them via facebook (not a private message, but on their wall) or twitter - the publicity does make them act eventually.

drednm

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 9:10 am

silentmovies742 wrote:
Brooksie wrote:Still nothing on my LTC order, and no response to my emails. It's going on six weeks now ... :?

Contact them via facebook (not a private message, but on their wall) or twitter - the publicity does make them act eventually.

Until they simply block you from posting.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

silentmovies742

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 10:19 am

drednm wrote:
silentmovies742 wrote:

Until they simply block you from posting.....

Yes, that's true. But I did get a refund eventually!

Henry Nicolella

PostThu Apr 04, 2013 7:44 am

After several e mails and a request for a refund I finally got my dvd from Scootermovie shop some 6 weeks after they charged my credit card. I won't be ordering from them again but at least they did fill my order.
Henry Nicolella

ClayKing

PostThu Apr 04, 2013 9:29 am

On 2/17 I placed an order with LTC for 6 films. Nine days later I received an e-mail that the order was "processing," but one title was temporarily "sold out." I could pay extra shipping for the titles in stock, or wait four weeks for the full order. I elected to wait. On 3/28 I received an e-mail that the order had shipped, with a tracking number. On 4/1 I checked the tracking number, which revealed that the order had been delivered - to a different state. Two days later the order showed up - minus the "out of stock" title. My e-mail inquiry has not been answered, and if I don't receive the missing title or a refund I'll complain to PayPal.

It was always my impression that this was a part-time business operated by one person. It's obvious from their film listings that they know nothing about the films they sell, often listing multiple versions of the same title when only one version is actually available. It's clear that they also list any title they think they can obtain, without actually having the product. I believe that explains why they are "temporarily out of stock." I'd never buy from them again. Even if you're desperate for a title seemingly available nowhere else the chance is they don't really have it either.
-Rich

drednm

PostThu Apr 04, 2013 9:56 am

ClayKing wrote:On 2/17 I placed an order with LTC for 6 films. Nine days later I received an e-mail that the order was "processing," but one title was temporarily "sold out." I could pay extra shipping for the titles in stock, or wait four weeks for the full order. I elected to wait. On 3/28 I received an e-mail that the order had shipped, with a tracking number. On 4/1 I checked the tracking number, which revealed that the order had been delivered - to a different state. Two days later the order showed up - minus the "out of stock" title. My e-mail inquiry has not been answered, and if I don't receive the missing title or a refund I'll complain to PayPal.

It was always my impression that this was a part-time business operated by one person. It's obvious from their film listings that they know nothing about the films they sell, often listing multiple versions of the same title when only one version is actually available. It's clear that they also list any title they think they can obtain, without actually having the product. I believe that explains why they are "temporarily out of stock." I'd never buy from them again. Even if you're desperate for a title seemingly available nowhere else the chance is they don't really have it either.

I tried one more time and ordered two films, paid the extra $6 for first class. A day later I got the email about reviewing the titles I had bought. Several days later I checked the status and both titles were out of stock. Clearly they do NOT have many of the films they advertise as having.

I asked for a refund and they refunded promptly via Paypal but MINUS the extra $6 they charged for shipping. No responses from them yet and it's been 3 or 4 days ... and no $6 refund either.
Last edited by drednm on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Brooksie

PostThu Apr 04, 2013 10:35 am

They did respond to my email after a couple of tries, telling me the title that was out of stock would be available soon. Then, my order arrived - with everything BUT that troublesome title.

The out-of-stock title was a brand new release, so I don't know whether they just have a backlog of movies waiting to be copied, or they screwed up on whether it would actually be available. :(

silentmovies742

PostThu Apr 04, 2013 4:40 pm

They added literally hundreds of titles to their website in one go last year. prior to that the order were fine (for me at least), since then there seems to be many many problems!

Mitch Farish

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 11:36 am

Still waiting, going on five weeks. I called the help line, but it had been disconnected. I emailed saying I would substitute another title for the one that was out of stock ... no response. I emailed two more times ... no response. I called their order line and was forwarded to voice mail to leave my order. If they would just delete the out of stock title and refund for that item alone I would be satisfied, but they probably had problems with other titles and just didn't say. The last word I had from them about five weeks ago was that the shipment would go out when all the titles I ordered were included. I think I may have to contact the Postal Service or my Credit Card company.

drednm

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 11:48 am

I finally got my full refund but would have liked the copies I ordered: Fast Company and Close Harmony both 1929.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Mitch Farish

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 7:55 am

I finally got a response. I offered in a previous email to substitute another title for the one they said was out of stock, and they finally sent an email asking which title would I like to substitute. I just replied with my new selection. Perhaps now they will get my order in the mail. Here's hoping.

ClayKing

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 9:12 am

After receiving an e-mail on 4/6 that I would be issued a refund for the missing title no refund was forthcoming, and subsequent e-mails have gone unanswered. Today I opened a dispute on Paypal. If that doesn't get a result I may file a complaint with the Postal Inspector. I've ordered many videos from LTC in the past. Are they that stupid or incompetent that they don't care about customers?
-Rich

Mitch Farish

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 9:19 am

ClayKing wrote:After receiving an e-mail on 4/6 that I would be issued a refund for the missing title no refund was forthcoming, and subsequent e-mails have gone unanswered. Today I opened a dispute on Paypal. If that doesn't get a result I may file a complaint with the Postal Inspector. I've ordered many videos from LTC in the past. Are they that stupid or incompetent that they don't care about customers?

I find it especially strange that they continue the same practices after apologizing for poor customer service, and promising to do better. By the way, I'm still waiting for my DVDs ordered early in March. I would at least expect an email saying they haven't forgotten me, since calling them is not an option.

Brooksie

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 3:03 pm

Still nothing on the remaining part of my order, and no further responses to my emails, either. If I weren't so eager to see the film, I'd have cancelled my order ages ago. I'd say they are a small amateur outfit who got in way over their heads.

If they were more honest about the reason for the delay, I'd be a lot happier. No doubt a deal with the owner of some prints has fallen through, or something like that, but if I'm never going to get this film, I wish they'd just go ahead and tell me.
PreviousNext

Return to Talking About Silents