What recent silent film related items have you purchased?

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

bobfells

Re: What recent silent film related items have you purchased

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 11:05 pm

In addition to some DVDs, here is some memorabilia I picked up recently -

Vintage postcard:

An 8x10 in work negative, Florence Vidor and Gary Cooper in DOOMSDAY (1928):

Another 8x10 negative, Douglas Fairbanks in the lost KNICKERBOCKER BUCKAROO (1918):

A color positive:

One more 8x10 negative, nice portrait of you know who:

gentlemanfarmer

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 7:55 am

I stopped by a local antique store just down the street and found four silent film cues for full orchestra in a box of sheet music. Two of which I had, but only in very incomplete instrumental sets. Jealous Moon by J. S. Zamecnik, Rose of Algeria: Selections from Victor Herbert's Opera, Gavotte Piquante, and a Misterioso No. 1 by Rapee/Axt...all for less then ten bucks...I was a very happy boy!
Eric W. Cook
Director, Ivy Leaf Orchestra
Silent Film, Salon and Ragtime Orchestra
Please visit us at ivyleaforchestra.com

sepiatone

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 7:51 am

purchases
*Beau Brummel (1924), and Im glad I did. impeccable print quality a big difference from the crappy 1990s Grapevine VHS.
*The Red Mill(1927), delightful picture. Looking forward one day to Davies in My Fair-Coed(also 1927).
*Trail of '98(1928) dir. Clarence Brown, one of his lesser pictures in my opinion save for the great fight scene which rivals the fight in any of the versions of The Spoilers (1914, 1923, 1930, 1942 ..etc.)
*Tide of Empire(1929) dir. Allan Dwan

**I haven't purchased this, but loaned from the library this biography on lost player Margarita Fischer
http://www.alibris.com/Margarita-Fische ... ting*title" target="_blank

entredeuxguerres

PostTue Sep 10, 2013 6:33 pm

A curious oddity: pencil drawings, not very good, but autographed & dated 1937.

Bebe & Ben by entredeuxguerres, on Flickr

bobfells

PostTue Sep 10, 2013 7:06 pm

This is a color positive of what I believe is a lobby card from the 1929 film:

An original postcard circa 1928:

An 8x10 inch negative scanned, Roscoe Arbuckle and Lila Lee in DOLLAR A YEAR MAN (1921):

N_Phay

PostTue Jan 05, 2016 10:57 am

A nicely-composed still from "The Garden of Eden":

For some reason the ipad insisted on focusing in on Louise, so here's a closeup of Corinne:

entredeuxguerres

PostTue Jan 05, 2016 11:15 am

A much more striking composition! Corrine confronts the finger of warning, wisdom, propriety, or something, at any rate, profound and slightly intimidating. (Though she doesn't appear to be troubled by whatever it portends.)

N_Phay

PostWed Jan 06, 2016 2:26 pm

I was going to crop the arm out but I liked it too, I also like the lower disembodied arm with its tilted glass of hooch.

As well as that one, I got two more from "The Garden of Eden", I like getting consecutive images, I have a pair from "New York Nights", and once bid on four from "Into Her Kingdom" - I got sniped on the three good ones though and wound up with a lesser image which I only bid on in the hope of getting a set. These appear consecutive, but the numbers are different, the upper one is "C.G.-900-A66" and the lower "C.G.-900-B55":

mwalls

PostWed Jan 06, 2016 5:42 pm

As soon as I can figure out how to post a photo of it I will, but I recently bought a Pola Negri spoon. It is an ordinary spoon except at the handle end there is an engraving of Pola's face and then her signature is engraved into the handle.

T0m M

PostThu Jan 07, 2016 9:59 am

I rarely buy anything beyond films or books but several years back I came across an autographed Colleen Moore publicity photo. It's not the type of thing that I would normally pick up but Colleen is my favourite silent star and this one had been dedicated to a Tom. Better yet, it was from very late in her life, at a time when I could conceivably have met her. It was impossible to pass up.

N_Phay

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 5:22 am

I bought "Children of Divorce" from Flicker Alley, and also "The Battles of Coronel and Falkland Islands" from the BFI, only to find that the DVD player in my PC ate it. Oh well, I'd better get another one!

Also got a few stills recently, seems to have been a few at reasonable-ish prices on ebay of late - I'm always on the lookout for stills from "You Can't Fool Your Wife", which is quite an intriguing title to me, I've almost never seen any though, so I was pleased to get these two of Leatrice Joy, especially so the second as it's one of the best pics in "Classics of the Silent Screen". Hopefull some more stills from this one will show up, I'd like one of Nita Naldi from it too:

Also this pic of a remarkably snotty-looking Norma Talmadge. I bid on another still from this same set a while ago but it was one of those ones that winds up fetching a bafflingly high sum of money. This one has been marked for publication, I was hoping the white marks could be picked off, but no. It didn't cost very much so I don't mind.

silentfilm

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 11:49 am

I also picked up the Flicker Alley Children of Divorce BluRay, at the Kansas Silent Film Festival in February. The restoration looks really sharp, and the film is pretty good.

Some recent acquisions:
His Busy Day (1917) with Juanita Hansen and Raymond Griffith. I have not figured out who the two gents (?) are in the front yet.

Clara Bow and Miss DuPont in Hula (1927)

Isabel Jeans and Hermoine Gingold in Gigi (1958).
Previous

Return to Talking About Silents