What lost film would you give anything to see?

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Nym

What lost film would you give anything to see?

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 6:26 pm

This thread is more of a curiousity post than anything else.
What lost film would you really like to see in its entirety?
Personally, I would like to see many of the early animation films, including Winsor McCay's complete The Centaurs and Gertie on Tour, and all of Quirino Cristani's feature length films. I would also like to see A Daughter of the Gods (1916), simply because I love how beautiful all of the surviving publicity shots are.

robcat2075

Re: What lost film would you give anything to see?

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 6:42 pm

"Anything" is an excessive price but I would be curious to see "M.A.R.S.", a 1922 3D film.

I presume "The Queen of Sheba" is still lost. Add that.

Quirino Cristiani ostensibly made two animated features in Argentina before anyone else. Yes I'd be curious to see those although I imagine they'd be pretty creaky.

momsne

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 8:01 pm

I would like to see the missing footage from the Zapruder film showing the gunman on the grassy knoll along the Kennedy motorcade route.

Nym

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 10:11 pm

robcat2075 wrote:
Quirino Cristiani ostensibly made two animated features in Argentina before anyone else. Yes I'd be curious to see those although I imagine they'd be pretty creaky.

It was made with cutouts, so I imagine it would be. :)

Spiny Norman

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 4:42 am

Was going to say Cleopatra from 1917, but I was able to see the photo reconstruction at one point and now I almost feel as if I HAVE seen it.
Erm... The film footage of ragtime composer Scott Joplin?
This is nøt å signåture.™

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 6:10 am

A decade or so ago we talked about this at A.M.S. and I had a list of the ten I'd like to see. I can say, happily, that it's down to nine, thanks to the rediscovery of Bardelys the Magnificent.

Practically speaking, I suppose the answer is still Four Devils, if we're talking about someone working at the height of his powers and the height of the art form.

But my other answer is, that movie that we don't even know about that would change our viewpoint on silent film significantly if we saw it.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

s.w.a.c.

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 6:36 am

Mike beat me to Four Devils, so I'll just add The Way of All Flesh (1927) to the pile.

There's probably a long list of ground-breaking European films I'd love to see which are lost to the wars and/or the ravages of time, but no titles are coming to mind.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Jay Salsberg

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 6:40 am

robcat2075 wrote:"Anything" is an excessive price but I would be curious to see "M.A.R.S.", a 1922 3D film.

Get thee to the BFI. They have a print of RADIO MANIA (the flat version of M.A.R.S.).

entredeuxguerres

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 9:42 am

Without hesitation, my choice (yes, I've said it before) is Dwan's Glimpses of the Moon, based on my affection for Edith Wharton's novel, & the cast, & such descriptions as "marvelous gowns, gorgeous locations, million-dollar production"; maybe all baseless hyperbole...but Dwan's proven ability encourages me to believe otherwise.

Reading descriptions of Four Devils, it would appear, yes, of course, to be an excellent picture I'd love to see, but not, based on the cast (more important to me, frankly, than the director), extraordinary. Janet Gaynor I do admire a great deal, but circus pictures, high-wire acts, etc.--I don't know why--leave me rather flat.

robcat2075

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 11:40 am

There's a boatload of lost Clara Bow films. Her films usually aren't great but she's always great in them.

Jay Salsberg wrote:
robcat2075 wrote:"Anything" is an excessive price but I would be curious to see "M.A.R.S.", a 1922 3D film.

Get thee to the BFI. They have a print of RADIO MANIA (the flat version of M.A.R.S.).

Cool! Maybe someone could do a 3D post conversion on it, like they do today. :D

drednm

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 12:07 pm

I would go with Gloria Swanson's Madame Sans-Gene or Marion Davies' Cecilia of the Pink Roses just to be different.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

entredeuxguerres

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 12:24 pm

drednm wrote:I would go with Gloria Swanson's Madame Sans-Gene...

That one ranks highly on my list, too. Since it was, reportedly, an immense hit in France, regarded with something like national pride, due to the subject & shooting-locations, it seems rather incredible that even there, no print survived.

drednm

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 12:36 pm

And it seems to me La Swanson herself launched a search for the film and came up empty handed.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Michael O'Regan

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 12:52 pm

As a Garbo fan I would have to say The Divine Woman (28) would be the one for me.

WaverBoy

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 1:17 pm

RED HAIR, FLAMING YOUTH, all the rest of the lost Clara Bow and Colleen Moore films, HER FRIEND THE BANDIT, A BLIND BARGAIN, and, yes, LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT.

Also, I'd love to see the missing reels of GET YOUR MAN and HANDS UP! be found and restored to their respective films proper.

Salty Dog

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 1:56 pm

WaverBoy wrote:Also, I'd love to see the missing reels of GET YOUR MAN and HANDS UP! be found and restored to their respective films proper.

There's no missing reel for HANDS UP! That's probably PATHS TO PARADISE you mean, right?
I'd love to see that and also the completely missing Raymond Griffith features: FORT WINKS, A REGULAR FELLOW, WEDDING BILLS, WET PAINT and probably a couple of others I am forgetting.
Bill Coleman

WaverBoy

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 2:02 pm

Salty Dog wrote:
WaverBoy wrote:Also, I'd love to see the missing reels of GET YOUR MAN and HANDS UP! be found and restored to their respective films proper.

There's no missing reel for HANDS UP! That's probably PATHS TO PARADISE you mean, right?
I'd love to see that and also the completely missing Raymond Griffith features: FORT WINKS, A REGULAR FELLOW, WEDDING BILLS, WET PAINT and probably a couple of others I am forgetting.

Dammit, sorry, yes of course I meant the missing final reel from the exemplary PATHS TO PARADISE, which simply doesn't get nearly enough love; it should be heralded as a classic, but hardly anyone outside of this board has heard of it. And ditto on Ray's missing features; would love to see those. The work of Mr. Griffith would get a long overdue reappraisal if they turned up.

Salty Dog

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 2:12 pm

WaverBoy wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:

Dammit, sorry, yes of course I meant the missing final reel from the exemplary PATHS TO PARADISE, which simply doesn't get nearly enough love; it should be heralded as a classic, but hardly anyone outside of this board has heard of it. And ditto on Ray's missing features; would love to see those. The work of Mr. Griffith would get a long overdue reappraisal if they turned up.

Ah I knew there was at least one more I forgot about: TIME TO LOVE. Looks great from the
stills here: http://www.silentfilmstillarchive.com/time_to_love.htm
Bill Coleman

WaverBoy

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Vera Voronina is beautiful in those stills; I'd like to see her in a surviving film. Are there any?

Penfold

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 5:23 pm

I've said it before but, George Pearson's Reveille. The proudest career moment from the man who was the byword for quality direction in the years between Hepworth and Hitchcock, and mentored James Whale when he was moving from theatre to film.. It existed in 1969......because he was interviewed about his career and they used clips. Vanished since..... :cry:
I could use some digital restoration myself...

silentfilm

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 8:10 pm

Time to Love and The Patriot are certainly lost. She only made one other film at an American studio, The Whirlwind of Youth.

bobfells

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 8:18 pm

I second the nomination for GLIMPSES OF THE MOON. I learned of it decades ago when paging through Blum's Pictorial History of the Silent Screen. I dunno, the title, the few photos I've come across through the years all suggest something very special.

Then I'd enjoy seeing some of the lost Goldwyn silents, especially THE ETERNAL CITY (1923).

ElectricPhonograph

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 8:52 pm

I would love to see Griffith's "The Wood Nymph" mostly for my heartthrob Marie Doro.
Cleopatra, obviously. (Where did you find the reconstruction, Norman?!)
Pickford's "Hearts Adrift", or, heck, any of her lost films
The Gulf Between
"This wasn't just plain terrible, this was fancy terrible. This was terrible with raisins in it." - Dorothy Parker

Little Caesar

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 9:08 pm

Being a comedy fan, I would have to go with "Hat's Off" (1927) and "A Country Hero" (1917).
Never cry over spilt milk, because it may have been poisoned. - W.C. Fields

greta de groat

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 11:55 pm

bobfells wrote:I

Then I'd enjoy seeing some of the lost Goldwyn silents, especially THE ETERNAL CITY (1923).

And i'd love to see the 1915 version, being Pauline Frederick's first film. The vast majority of her films are missing and she had a lot of tantalizing titles such as La Tosca, Zaza, Bella Donna, Sapho, Resurrection, Fedora, The Paliser Case, etc. Some of the lost Goldwyn's are hers.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

cateyedsnake

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 5:26 am

Any of Louise Brooks' lost films (of which there are about seven :().

drednm

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 5:37 am

... and Flaming Youth.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

westegg

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 5:44 am

Not sure if I saw it here, but I'm extremely curious about HOLLYWOOD (1923).

telical

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 11:54 am

Virginia Pearson did about fifteen morality-type movies in the teens,
all of which, I believe, are lost. I would like to see any one of:

1918 Stolen Honor
1917 Thou Shalt Not Steal
1917 Wrath of Love
1917 Sister Against Sister
1917 The Bitter Truth
1917 When False Tongues Speak
1916 Hypocrisy
1916 The Vital Question
1916 Thou Art the Man

bdarr

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 12:49 pm

Any of the 17 lost films in Yasujiro Ozu's filmography (18 if you count the fact that only a fragment of I Flunked, But... remains) but especially his 1929 film Life of an Office Worker, which was the first of his films to team Tatsuo Saito, Mitsuko Yoshikawa, and Takeshi Sakamoto with child actor Tomio Aoki, a grouping which would recur in several future films including I Was Born, But...
Next

Return to Talking About Silents