What lost film would you give anything to see?

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

MattBarry

Re: What lost film would you give anything to see?

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 1:52 pm

I would love to see THE MIRACLE MAN (1919), since it was so highly regarded in its time. It's always interesting to remember how much our perceptions of the era are shaped by what's survived.
__
Matt Barry
Kino Lorber, Inc.

Gagman 66

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 2:03 pm

:o I've made up several lists in the past. I will have to look those up. I think I had OVER THE HILL listed number one. I'll concur with Speedy starting with any of the lost Colleen Moore and Clara Bow titles. FLAMING YOUTH, SO BIG, and SALLY being probably the top 3 for Colleen. And Lubitsch KISS ME AGAIN, and LADIES OF THE MOB at the top of the list for Clara. Bearing in mind that footage of THE RUNAWAY, ROUGH HOUSE ROSIE, and RED HAIR have recently tuned up. Maybe even most of ROSIE? Followed by any of the lost Renee Adoree and Corinne Griffith titles. Especially TIN GODS for Renee, and SYNCOPATING SUE for Corinne. Would love to see Marceline Day in THE BOY FRIEND as well.

Swanson's PRODIGAL DAUGHTERS (1923). George Fitzmaurice's THE DARK ANGEL (1925) with Vilma Banky and Ronald Colman. And the later THE MAGIC FLAME (1927) with the same couple. PARADISE with Milton Sills and Betty Bronson. THE HEART OF MARYLAND (1927) a Civil War Drama with Dolores Costello. Of course Victor Fleming's THE ROUGH RIDERS with Charles Farrell and Mary Astor. Bill Wellman's follow-up to WINGS, called LEGION OF THE CONDEMNED with Gary Cooper and Fay Wray. The late Silent Esther Ralston features BETRAYAL and THE CASE OF LENA SMITH. Narrowing down what I would most like to see is difficult.
Last edited by Gagman 66 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodney

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 2:22 pm

I'd love to see the silent Great Gatsby and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. I'd like to see The Big City, as I'm a fan of both Marceline Day and Lon Chaney -- I don't know much about it, but I think I'd enjoy it more than London after Midnight, which just looks silly. For Clara Bow, I'd like to see Kiss Me Again, since I also like Lubitsch a lot. I used to hope for the 1928 Ramona with del Rio, but it looks like I'll be getting my wish on that one soon. Oh, and Theda Bara's Salome, why not, and Betty Blythe's Queen of Sheba (though I expect that one to be silly too).

I've seen it (and played for it) several times, but I'd like to see Rosita properly reconstructed with the original titles, which by all accounts were quite clever. I think it would be a much more highly regarded film.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 9:01 pm

I've mentioned it before in a similar thread, but I'd love to see Two Flaming Youths (1927), starring W.C. Fields, Chester Conklin, Mary Brian, Clark & McCullough, Weber & Fields, Wallace Beery & Raymond Hatton, The Duncan Sisters, Moran & Mack, and, for all I know, Burke & Hare. The story (set in a carnival) sounds intriguing, and I'm also curious to know how they managed to stuff all that comedy talent into a featurette with a 55-minute running time. Plus, Fields was nearly killed in an on-the-set accident when this film was in production; I'd like to know if the finished product was, well, worth the effort.

I'm also curious about One Glorious Day (1922), starring Will Rogers, Lila Lee, and an impish sprite known as "Ek." This project was originally meant for Roscoe Arbuckle, but the scandal intervened and Rogers took the lead role. The only review of this film in IMDb was written by F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre, who claims to have screened a print that was "beginning to go bubbly" in a European archive. Which means, most likely, that the last known prints of this one vanished at some point prior to WW2.

Oh, and I'd also like to see God Gave Me Twenty Cents (1926), with Lois Moran. Just for the title.
-- Charlie Morrow

entredeuxguerres

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 9:38 pm

Wm. Charles Morrow wrote:Oh, and I'd also like to see God Gave Me Twenty Cents (1926), with Lois Moran. Just for the title.

I'd like to see it just for Lois Moran.

Gagman 66

PostSun Jun 23, 2013 1:20 am

:? I neglected to mention the four Lost Silents with Dolores Del Rio. JOANNA (1925), PALS FIRST (1926), RESURRECTION (1926), and REVENGE (1928). Hope RAMONA (1928) gets a screening in the early fall someplace.

Bob Birchard

PostSun Jun 23, 2013 8:37 am

I think the one I'd most like to see is actually a possibility, and that is "Behind the Door" (Ince-Paramount-Artcraft, 1919). The film exists in incomplete form at the Library of Congress, and there is also material in Russia that may complete it. There has been talk for yoears of brining the two holdings together, let'sa hope that putting the idea out into the ether once again may bear fruit.

entredeuxguerres

PostSun Jun 23, 2013 8:50 am

bobfells wrote:I second the nomination for GLIMPSES OF THE MOON. I learned of it decades ago when paging through Blum's Pictorial History of the Silent Screen. I dunno, the title, the few photos I've come across through the years all suggest something very special.

Bob, going to allow you (generous fellow that I am) first shot at this...only $43, now, on ebay. (Then if you care to send me a good color copy, I'll be very much obliged!)

$(KGrHqJ,!qwFG6+HOg2cBR)kdr!jGQ~~60_57 by entredeuxguerres, on Flickr

drednm

PostSun Jun 23, 2013 9:43 am

And does Swanson's Coast of Folly (1925) exist? She plays both daughter and mother in this one.... Would love to see it. Directed by Allan Dwan.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

David Menefee

• Location: Author, editor, and Assistant Publisher BearManor Media

PostSun Jun 23, 2013 4:29 pm

Hollywood (1923)

Secrets (Mary Pickford's first version that was scrapped)

Forever (1921), Wally Reid's most praised dramatic performance, and for that matter, any of the hundreds of his other lost films.

Dorothy Gish in The Hope Chest (1918), Boots (1919), Peppy Polly (1919), I'll Get Him Yet (1919), Remodeling Her Husband (1920), and for that matter, any of her other lost comedies.

The Battle Cry of Peace (1915)

The Honor System (1917), and for that matter, any of George Walsh's dozens of lost films.

Grant, Police Reporter (1917) the complete series with George Larkin, as well as his Trey O' Hearts (1914) serial, and for that matter, any of the more than 100 of his other lost films.

Adrienne Lecouvreur (1913) with Sarah Bernhardt.

The Man Who Came Back (1924), The Silver Treasure (1926), both with George O'Brien.

Romeo and Juliet (1916) with Francis X. Bushman and Beverly Bayne.

Intolerance, the full-length uncut version.

Greed, the full-length uncut version.

Freaks (1932) Tod Browning's unreleased director's cut.

On a Clear Day You Can See Forever (1970). Vincente Minnelli’s original vision for this film adaptation of the Broadway musical was a three-hour production that would be released on a road show basis. But Paramount Pictures, facing financial difficulties, ordered one hour of footage to be shorn. The resulting film was a choppy and off-balanced affair, with a large chunk of the delightful score (including a duet between Barbra Streisand and Jack Nicholson) cut out and thrown away. The deleted footage can no longer be located, and only the recordings of the jettisoned songs survive.

And finally, the 90 other as yet un-repatriated silent films from Russia's Le Gosfilmofond archive. Whatever happened to that project? Will the US Library of Congress ever license to DVD the 10 they did receive?

N_Phay

PostMon Jun 24, 2013 2:02 pm

I think it will always be "Three Sinners" for me:

If someone finds a copy and it stinks I will be very dissapointed! I'm accumulating jpegs of key book stills from this, I have about 30, including a little consecutive run which appears to show Pola Negri's Baroness Gerda Wallentin and Olga Baclanova's Hilda Von Brings having some kind of confrontation. If anyone has any decent scans of stills from this (prefix 693 and/or 1124) I would be grateful if you could boot them my way, as a long term project it would be cool to do a stills reconstruction of it!

dr.giraud

PostMon Jun 24, 2013 4:38 pm

KISS ME AGAIN (Lubitsch)

GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES (Mal St. Clair, w/Alice White)

And I'd like to see BEHIND THE DOOR restored, and Negri's THREE SINNERS, too. I have a window card from THREE SINNERS w/Negri, Tulio Carminatti & Warner Baxter in profile looking verrry guilty of something.
dr. giraud

entredeuxguerres

PostMon Jun 24, 2013 7:13 pm

dr.giraud wrote: I have a window card from THREE SINNERS w/Negri, Tulio Carminatti & Warner Baxter in profile looking verrry guilty of something.

Warner, possibly, but I can't believe it of Tulio; though under the malign influence of Olga, one can't be too sure.

luciano

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 6:13 pm

London After Midnight would obviously be one for me (to bad I burned my print :wink: ). The Fairylouge and Radio Plays would also be interesting, given it was the first film adaption of Wizard of Oz. There's also many early George Melies and Larry Semon films that I'd certainly have the pleasure of watching. My wish was granted with Metropolis when they found the 25minutes of lost footage.

coolcatdaddy

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 6:42 pm

I know it's out of the silent era, and probably masochistic of me, but I'd like to see the original director's cuts of two more recent films.

"One Eyed Jacks" was Marlon Brando's only directorial effort and his cut of the film ran about five hours; Parmount's released version concentrates more on the narrative, while Brando's version supposedly delves more deeply into the characters. It' was Paramount's last VistaVision release - it deserves a good transfer to blu ray and, for me at least, is an interesting effort.

I'd also like to see director Joseph L. Mankiewicz's six hour cut of the 1963 "Cleopatra", which he felt should be released as two separate three hour films.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Welles's original cut of "Magnificent Ambersons" - if nothing else, I'd like to see that sappy happy ending done away with. I still think the original cut is hiding away somewhere in South America.

Bob Birchard

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 9:14 pm

coolcatdaddy wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned Welles's original cut of "Magnificent Ambersons" - if nothing else, I'd like to see that sappy happy ending done away with.

While I'd love to see the missing Ambersons footage, the released ending, while truncated with some dark passages missing and awkwardly staged, is very much in keeping with the ending of the novel and Welles originally scripted ending.

sepiatone

PostFri Jun 28, 2013 10:26 am

any of Valeska Suratt's(1915-1917) as all are lost. Presumably all her negatives were in that Little Ferry New Jersey fire in the Fox Vault.

any Ethel Barrymore silent(1914-1919), all are lost I think.

John Barrymore in "Test of Honor"(1919).

As Greta De Groat said, any Pauline Frederick films(1915-1928).

oh yes more Elsie Ferguson (1917-1925), the time frame she was making silent.

Bob Birchard

PostFri Jun 28, 2013 10:44 am

sepiatone wrote:any of Valeska Suratt's(1915-1917) as all are lost. Presumably all her negatives were in that Little Ferry New Jersey fire in the Fox Vault.

There are two or three Ethel Barrymore Metros at Warner Bros. and/or Eastman house, though I'm not sure they're all complete.

sepiatone

PostFri Jun 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Bob Birchard wrote:
sepiatone wrote:any of Valeska Suratt's(1915-1917) as all are lost. Presumably all her negatives were in that Little Ferry New Jersey fire in the Fox Vault.

There are two or three Ethel Barrymore Metros at Warner Bros. and/or Eastman house, though I'm not sure they're all complete.

just the first reel THE AWAKENING OF HELENA RICHIE(1916) at Library of Congress. Silentera says THE CALL OF HER PEOPLE(1917) is at George Eastman. Im not sure at all about the second film.

Spiritus

PostFri Jun 28, 2013 9:10 pm

This may sound somewhat pedestrian but I'd give up a tooth to see the missing 4 or 5 hours (whatever it is) of Greed. I've noticed that the Europeans seemed to tolerate VERY long versions of films. What a pity Greed wasn't made in France, We'd probably have it all.
Spiritus

syd

PostSat Jun 29, 2013 9:48 pm

Scotty of the Scouts (1926): A 10 part serial centered around
Boy Scout Scotty Smith (played by Ben Alexander) in the don't ask
don't tell days. I imagine this was an attempt to change the
rather square image of the Boy Scout into a fearless alpha male.

Human Wreckage (1923): Made by the widow of fallen silent super-
star Wallace Reid (Dorothy Davenport) this was an attempt to deal
with drug addiction head on without pulling punches. It even got the
go ahead from the newly appointed Will Hays. Shots of injections,
ashen faces of drug addicts superimposed over flowers, and withdrawal
pains laid bare would make interesting viewing today.

The Jungle (1914): Upton Sinclair's 1906 novel was adapted for the silent
screen. Kevin Brownlow's Behind the Mask of Innocence documents a rocky
affair during all stages of production. Distribution was a nightmare justifying
its lost status.

misspickford9

PostSun Jun 30, 2013 10:06 am

Hands down I'd say Theda's Cleopatra...though the rowing scene of Young Rajah might be fun.

I have a feeling Cleopatra would be a major epic over anything else, but if I was strictly picking Theda films I'd say Salome...that seems to be THE one that would be the most worth it.

Lostintime

PostSun Jun 30, 2013 10:58 am

I would like to see those two Victor Seastrom's lost films The Divine Woman and The Towet Of Líes.

David Alp

PostFri Jul 05, 2013 12:05 pm

I would like to see the FULL 181 minute original version of "A STAR IS BORN" (1954) in all its glory, i.e. before the 27 minutes of footage was hacked out. (I realized Ronald Haver did a pretty good job at restoring it using stills and he found the full mono soundtrack, and the musical numbers, but I still would like to see the proper version).

But even better, I would like to see the almost 4 hour "Directors cut" version, i.e. the 'Preview' version, (BEFORE the 181 minute version). It apparently included so many brilliant scenes; including scenes where Garland & Mason go out to Malibu and begin designing their new house on the beach-front, and also apparently a lengthy scene where after they have been married Norman Maine begins a new picture that is set on a Chinese junk boat; and he is actually drinking on the first day of shooting! When asked "Why are you drinking when you have now got everything you ever wanted?" he replies "Because I am so happy - I am drinking just for no reason at all!" - which is, of course, the signs of a true alcoholic. This foreshadows what is to come later, and proves that the marriage was doomed right from day one. I would love to see all of this, but I am guessing it is lost? On the blu-ray edition of "A STAR IS BORN" there is footage included of Norman Maine swinging from a rope on the Chinese Junk Boat, so who knows?

aninnocentdirector

PostFri Jul 05, 2013 1:04 pm

MattBarry wrote:I would love to see THE MIRACLE MAN (1919), since it was so highly regarded in its time. It's always interesting to remember how much our perceptions of the era are shaped by what's survived.

Ah you beat me to it. I'm a huge Chaney fan and would love to see THE MIRACLE MAN. But since that is taken, my next choice would be THE DRAMATIC LIFE OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN (1924). I remember the Academy once did a series of screenings back in 2009, the Summer of Silents, in which they showed bits and pieces of what was left of the film. According to program notes from the Academy the producers of the film, the Rockett Bros., had sealed a print of the film in a "time capsule" and sent it to the Smithsonian. Presumably the film would be opened up in 2009, the bicentennial of Lincoln's birth which has since passed. I assume that the Academy had tried to locate that print, but was unable to find it. Heck it might still be there, since the Smithsonian's storage facility is huge (and practically a museum unto itself).

Spiny Norman

PostFri Jul 05, 2013 1:10 pm

misspickford9 wrote:Hands down I'd say Theda's Cleopatra...

This I've said before but there are so many photographs that with a bit if ingenuity the photo reconstruction really lets you see the film, with the exception of 2 scenes for which there are (almost) no pictures (they're focussed on Bara in the palace).
This is nøt å signåture.™

JLNeibaur

PostFri Jul 05, 2013 1:31 pm

Hats Off, Heart Trouble, Girl in the Limousine, A Country Hero

Brianruns10

PostFri Jul 05, 2013 9:52 pm

While not technically lost films, I'd give anything to see "On With the Show" or "Sally" in their original, color states, as well as the incomplete "Gold Diggers of Broadway."

But as far as completely lost films, I'd probably go with 4 Devils. Most lost films (such as London After Midnight), if contemporary reviews are any indication, might be something of a letdown if we were ever to see them. They'd be curios. But 4 Devils, if seen today, I suspect would be regarded as another masterpiece by a true giant of silent cinema. I think it is a lost film to be most lamented.

JohnnieGray

PostSat Jul 06, 2013 10:00 am

I've always had an affinity for Tom Mix westerns, so one that I would very much like to see is THREE JUMPS AHEAD(1923), his only collaboration with John Ford.

Victor Brunswick

PostMon Jul 29, 2013 12:01 pm

The missing reels from Greed (1925)
PreviousNext

Return to Talking About Silents