What became of Danish-born Elca Twins?

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

poul

What became of Danish-born Elca Twins?

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 6:54 am

I know for a fact that these two girls appeared in Danish silent Long and Short-comedy "Kraft og Skønhed" (1928).

They were born 24. December, 1904 in Frederikshavn, Denmark as Ellen and Carla Thomsen.

With their great beauty they performed on stage in 1920s with a song-and-dance act besides appearing in beauty contests from London to Adelaide.

Latest information tells that they retired after marrying diplomats/business men. One married a Mr. Reynolds and settled in Rhodesia the other married a Mr. Booth and settled in Hong Kong (could be vice versa).

This may seem a silly question to most of you, but any response is greatly appreciated.

Poul - your boardie-pal in Denmark

helentomsen

Re: What became of Danish-born Elca Twins?

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 5:52 pm

ellen married Edward Reynolds and they had twins sons named Lance and Norman. I know that they were living in Rhodesia in 1949 but I don't know if they stayed there.
Carla married Faye Freedom Booth and had a Daughter, Stephanie who was born in Yokohama, Japan in 1939. They had a Son, Brian who was born in California, USA in 1937 and attended the United States Navel Academy,he served in Vietnam and died in 1970.
Carla died in 2001 and her last address was in Contra Costa, California
When the twins came to the USA they appeared on Broadway in New York City

poul

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 10:49 pm

Thank you very very much for your reply.

Are you a relation or where did you find this information?
I Wonder what happened to Ellen in Rhodesia.

Thank you, Again.

doctor-kiss

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 12:20 am

Indeed, thanks very much for this additional information, helentomsen. Carla Booth, born Dec. 24th, 1904, is indeed recorded as having died on June 1st, 2001, in Walnut Creek (in Contra Costa County).

As for Ellen and Edward Reynolds, they clearly stayed on in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, with their sons Lance and Norman attending Peterhouse School in Harare, from which both graduated in 1959. Lance spent many decades leading safaris along the Zambezi River, and was still resident in Harare at least as recently as 2011. Norman passed away in 2007, and his illustrious obituary can be read at: http://mg.co.za/article/2007-12-21-a-peoples-economist

helentomsen

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 8:01 pm

My Father-in-Law was Kaare Thomsen. He was born in Denmark in 1895. He always told us that he was adopted. His Father was Carl Thomsen who was the director of the Red Inn Theater in denmark. His Mother was Ellen Emma Aurika Schmidt and she was an actress. Carla andd Ellen were Kaare's sisters. I have seen pictures of Kaare and the twins together in New York, but I never met them. Other than what the family has told me I found most of my info. from Ancestry and the Internet. I hope this helps

Best wisher,
Helen in Calif.

poul

PostSat Jun 28, 2014 11:56 am

Dear helentomsen
Thank you for your additional information.
With the help of a wizard on this site I´ve contacted some of Ellens relations.
Thank you again, Poul

helentomsen

PostSat Jun 28, 2014 5:54 pm

Hi Poul,

I have been working on a Thomsen Family Tree, but I have not gotten very far. If you learn anything about the twins ancestry would you share it with me? Are you related?
Thanks,

Helen

Star rey

PostTue Mar 15, 2016 1:17 am

Hi Poul and Helen,

Did you find out any more on these sisters?

poul

PostMon Mar 28, 2016 7:53 am

Star rey wrote:Hi Poul and Helen,

Did you find out any more on these sisters?

I´m afraid I haven´t been able to obtain any further information since helentomsen.

I would still like to know what became of Ellen?

PortiaR

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Hello, I am the daughter of Norman Evelyn Reynolds, and the granddaughter of Ellen Reynolds (nee Thomsen).
I have three sisters, Talitha, Sabaa and Abigail. My mother is Pamela Felicity Reynolds. We were raised predominately in Zimbabwe and South Africa.
I don't remember my grandmother but her twin, Carla was joyously youthful and dbenturous I her 80s (when she married a marvellous gentle giant named David).
My uncle, Lance Reynolds is still living in Harare, married to Penny. They have 9 children between them. They each have 4 from a previous marriage and one together. Justin, Adam, Jessica and Sebastian are Lance's With Estelle. William, Graham, James and Abi are Penny's and Chloe is their youngest.
There are a few in the next generation - I've lost track of how many on Lance's side. I have three some with my husband, Stephen McCabe, in Ireland - Kai, Fionn and Jude (more twins) Reynolds McCabe. Talitha has two children - Suleb and Anouk Noir. Sabaa has Benjamin and Alexander Watson with Bryan Watson.
Stephanie Booth is still living in Pebble Beach, California.
I have been reading up about my grandmother and putting a child's perspective of an elderly housewife into a contemporary international dancer at the height of the Weimar Republic. What a great life that must have been (and how colloquial Rhodesia was after that?!).
So, Helen, we must be cousins? I know Lance is in touch with the Danish side - I met some of you in my early teens in Copenhagen. My middle name is an homage to my gran and a great aunt on my mother's side.
Portia Helen Reynolds.

poul

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 7:46 am

PortiaR wrote:Hello, I am the daughter of Norman Evelyn Reynolds, and the granddaughter of Ellen Reynolds (nee Thomsen).
I have three sisters, Talitha, Sabaa and Abigail. My mother is Pamela Felicity Reynolds. We were raised predominately in Zimbabwe and South Africa.
I don't remember my grandmother but her twin, Carla was joyously youthful and dbenturous I her 80s (when she married a marvellous gentle giant named David).
My uncle, Lance Reynolds is still living in Harare, married to Penny. They have 9 children between them. They each have 4 from a previous marriage and one together. Justin, Adam, Jessica and Sebastian are Lance's With Estelle. William, Graham, James and Abi are Penny's and Chloe is their youngest.
There are a few in the next generation - I've lost track of how many on Lance's side. I have three some with my husband, Stephen McCabe, in Ireland - Kai, Fionn and Jude (more twins) Reynolds McCabe. Talitha has two children - Suleb and Anouk Noir. Sabaa has Benjamin and Alexander Watson with Bryan Watson.
Stephanie Booth is still living in Pebble Beach, California.
I have been reading up about my grandmother and putting a child's perspective of an elderly housewife into a contemporary international dancer at the height of the Weimar Republic. What a great life that must have been (and how colloquial Rhodesia was after that?!).
So, Helen, we must be cousins? I know Lance is in touch with the Danish side - I met some of you in my early teens in Copenhagen. My middle name is an homage to my gran and a great aunt on my mother's side.
Portia Helen Reynolds.

Dear PortiaR

Thank you very much for your new information.

With such a large family you must be able to find out more about your grandmother Ellen?

I hope your Thomsen/Reynolds past and future Family Tree will continue to grow.

Best wishes,
Poul, Copenhagen, Denmark

StephanieSeaside

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 10:04 pm

Hi - I am Stephanie Booth, daughter of Carla Thomsen, second cousin to Portia who replied first. How can I get in touch with Helen Thomsen? I would like to know so much more about Kaare Thomsen. I too live in California and hope we could meet?

Most of your information about my family was correct; someone has done amazing research.

I can most easily be reached by email at [email protected]
Stephanie

Return to Talking About Silents