One and Done

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

silentfilm

One and Done

PostTue Feb 25, 2014 10:08 pm

Klinton Spilsbury is famous for starring as The Legend of the Lone Ranger (1981) - the original bad Lone Ranger movie - and that was his only movie apearance as a star or supporting player. But there's been others who only appeared in a film once.

Phyllis Welch was the female lead in Harold Lloyd's Professor Beware (1938). She had been a stage actress and dancer before signing her contract. She was fine in the film, but she got married afterwards and went back to the stage.

This week I discovered another actress, Carlotta Nillson, who starred in the Famous Players Film Leah Kleschna (1913). Apparently the film was a flop, and she returned to the stage and never made another film. I think that is House Peters with her in the photo above.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: One and Done

PostTue Feb 25, 2014 11:14 pm

Here's one who even got an Oscar nomination: Jocelyn LaGarde, for Hawaii (1966).

Allegedly she didn't speak English and learned her lines phonetically, like Bela Lugosi, which probably explains the lack of other roles.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

odinthor

PostTue Feb 25, 2014 11:31 pm

Not a silent film; but another "one and done" would be Jay Henry in 1934's We're Not Dressing.
_____
"She confessed subsequently to Cottard that she found me remarkably enthusiastic; he replied that I was too emotional, that I needed sedatives, and that I ought to take up knitting." —Marcel Proust (Cities of the Plain).

silentfilm

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 12:12 pm

Harold Russell did win not one but two Oscars for his performance in The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)! His career was pretty much over, but he did appear much, much later in two films, one in 1980 and his last in 1997. He also appeared late in life as a guest star on the China Beach and Trapper John, M.D. TV series.

Brooksie

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 12:19 pm

Margaret Leahy, the leading lady in Buster Keaton's Three Ages (1923) is a famous one. There's a good article about her on the Damfinos website - http://www.busterkeaton.com/Margaret/shop1.htm.

CJBx7

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 4:27 pm

The Scar of Shame has at least two cases of this phenomenon. Lead actress Lucia Lynn Moses was a dancer at the Cotton Club and this was the only film she ever made. It was also the only movie Frank Perugini directed.

s.w.a.c.

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 12:38 pm

Any number of cast members in Tod Browning's Freaks. Although I obtained a copy of Meet Boston Blackie when I heard that Schlitze was in it. Turned out he was in the background of a panning shot of a sideshow for about five seconds.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

radiotelefonia

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 1:59 pm

Falconetti

Danny Burk

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 6:27 pm

Any of the cast of TABU. A couple of them had small parts in talkies, but TABU is the only film of note for any of them.

Brooksie

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 6:50 pm

The girl from Tabu did appear in vaudeville during the 1930s - I had an idea she might also have been in a few shorts. If so, they are not on IMDb, but it does mention a Polish film in which she had a major role.

greta de groat

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 7:41 pm

The whole cast of The Silent Enemy.

Greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 8:55 pm

The great Italian stage star Eleonora Duse appeared in only one film, Cenere (1917). I haven't seen it, but from what I gather she comes off quite well.
-- Charlie Morrow

David Denton

PostFri Feb 28, 2014 12:35 am

William Gillette-SHERLOCK HOLMES 1916
James Bragington-A STUDY IN SCARLET 1914
H. A. Saintsbury-THE VALLEY OF FEAR 1916
Harry Montague-MAN OF HER CHOICE 1914
Gene Pollar-THE REVENGE OF TARZAN 1920
Coquelin aine-CYRANO DE BERGERAC 1900
Harry Randall- THE RATS 1900
George Formby Sr.-AN OLD FOOL 1914

Some boxing title claimants/champions, not counting fight films:

Jimmy Clabby (welterweight)-A KIDNAPPED PUGILIST 1914
Monte Attel (bantamweight)- THE GREAT SECRET 1917
Frankie Genaro (flyweight)-THE PRINCE OF BROADWAY 1926

Chauncey Olcott- CAMILLE (OR THE FATE OF A COQUETTE)1926 (as well as Sinclair Lewis, Theodore Dreiser, Sherwood Anderson, Ferenc Molnar and probably a few more....)

Emmett Dalton-BEYOND THE LAW 1918
Henry Starr-A DEBTOR TO THE LAW 1919
Quanah Parker-THE BANK ROBBERY 1908

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Feb 28, 2014 10:02 am

The girl from Tabu did appear in vaudeville during the 1930s - I had an idea she might also have been in a few shorts. If so, they are not on IMDb, but it does mention a Polish film in which she had a major role.

Believe it or not, the film (Czarna Perla) is on YouTube, you can see her at the beginning of this part:

“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Danny Burk

PostFri Feb 28, 2014 12:45 pm

Amazing. I'd noticed her credit for that film in IMDB, and wondered whether the film was still extant.

kaleidoscopeworld

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 5:40 am

Wm. Charles Morrow wrote:The great Italian stage star Eleonora Duse appeared in only one film, Cenere (1917). I haven't seen it, but from what I gather she comes off quite well.

Natalya Glan is one. Apart from the title role in Miss Mend (USSR 1926), her only other credit is the small part of Vera's friend in Chess Fever (USSR 1925).

The creepy monk from Zvenyhora (UkrSSR 1926) was the only role that actor ever played (L. Barné).

rogerskarsten

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 5:34 pm

I would say the entire featured cast of MENSCHEN AM SONNTAG (PEOPLE ON SUNDAY), even though a couple of them did appear in one or two other pictures immediately following their participation in the "film without actors." Still, it remained Brigitte Borchert and Annie Schreyer's only feature film credit. Christl Ehlert apparently had an uncredited appearance in a 1940 picture (according to the imdb). Wolfgang von Waltershausen and Erwin Splettstößer each had small parts in a couple of other films circa 1930-1931.
~Roger

milefilms

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 6:04 pm

In regards to Tabu, Anna Chevalier (Reri) was also in Hurricane as well as Czarna Perla, along with her career in vaudeville. She actually had a NY publicity agent and did fairly well. In the DVD we (Milestone) did, there's lovely footage of her in NYC across from the Riverside Church along with a wonderful photo of her with Murnau's nieces after the film opened in Germany.

The boy, Matahi, also played the chief in Mutiny on the Bounty in 1962.

But on the whole, most "stars" of the ethnographic films (Chang, Grass, Simba, etc.) were ALL one and done. There were a few exceptions, of course.
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V

Rodney

PostMon Mar 03, 2014 8:40 am

Silver Dollar Tabor, the daughter of the notorious Colorado silver baron Horace Tabor, has only one film role in The Greater Barrier (1915). It's a fairly small part as the leading lady's college roommate. I see she didn't even make it into the IMDB...
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Lokke Heiss

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 1:02 pm

To narrow the question: Who is the most notable 'one and done' actor/actress who had a lead role in a non-ethnographic, Hollywood film, did a good job with it, and then never was in another film again?
"You can't top pigs with pigs."

Walt Disney, responding to someone who asked him why he didn't immediately do a sequel to The Three Little Pigs

Donald Binks

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 3:16 pm

Jay Henry in "We're Not Dressing" (1934)
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

JFK

George Auger-died+replaced/Gheorghe Mureșan-1 film

PostSun Mar 30, 2014 2:02 pm

George Auger-died, so not in Why Worry ?....John Aasen.........................Why Worry ?.....................................My Giant:
(Auger w/ Harry Doll at White House).......Auger's replacement..................................................................... Gheorghe Mureșan's only film
Image.....Image.....Image.....Image
Last edited by JFK on Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sepiatone

PostSun Mar 30, 2014 5:17 pm

Lokke Heiss wrote:To narrow the question: Who is the most notable 'one and done' actor/actress who had a lead role in a non-ethnographic, Hollywood film, did a good job with it, and then never was in another film again?

since the word 'Hollywood' is generic for the film industry as a whole, especially in North America but sometimes including European film industry, I'll take it for granted you mean the film industry, since this is tantamount when referring to people in the business before ie 1919.

* Lillie Langtry - "His Neighbor's Wife"(1913) (*though IMDb says she was billed as Lily Langtry in the film itself) (* A colorful PBS/London Weekend miniseries was made on the real Langtry's life in 1978. Very good recommend.)

*Martha Hedman - "The Cub"(1915) (amongst Swedish actresses: before Anna Q. Nillson, before Greta Garbo, before Ingrid Bergman...there was Martha Hedman)

silentfilm

PostThu Apr 03, 2014 11:41 am

Not a silent, but Carlotta King only appeared in the early Vitaphone musical The Desert Song (1929) and no other fiction films. She did appear in a Voice of Hollywood short and The March of Time (1930) newsreel.

Brooksie

PostThu Apr 03, 2014 2:00 pm

I know they did make a silent together, but given their massive fame on the stage, it seems unfathomable that Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne co-starred in only one talkie, The Guardsman (1931).

JohnnieGray

PostFri Apr 04, 2014 11:30 am

Prokopenko, the woman from the Odessa steps sequence in BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN (1925)

Geills

PostMon Apr 14, 2014 8:51 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:Any number of cast members in Tod Browning's Freaks. Although I obtained a copy of Meet Boston Blackie when I heard that Schlitze was in it. Turned out he was in the background of a panning shot of a sideshow for about five seconds.

Also, the Hilton twins appeared at least in another movie, "Chained for Lives", which was by no means a success. Haven't fully seen it, but I'll give it a try during the break.
By the way, while checking Harry Earles' page at IMDb I discovered that he was in "The Wizard of Oz" (uncredited). Maybe he had the same fortune as Schlitze in MBB, with a few seconds on screen.

JohnnieGray

PostMon Apr 14, 2014 9:39 pm

Geills wrote:
s.w.a.c. wrote:Any number of cast members in Tod Browning's Freaks. Although I obtained a copy of Meet Boston Blackie when I heard that Schlitze was in it. Turned out he was in the background of a panning shot of a sideshow for about five seconds.

Also, the Hilton twins appeared at least in another movie, "Chained for Lives", which was by no means a success. Haven't fully seen it, but I'll give it a try during the break.
By the way, while checking Harry Earles' page at IMDb I discovered that he was in "The Wizard of Oz" (uncredited). Maybe he had the same fortune as Schlitze in MBB, with a few seconds on screen.

Yep, member of the "Lollipop Guild". The one on the right in this photo...

FrankFay

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 11:33 am

Brooksie wrote:I know they did make a silent together, but given their massive fame on the stage, it seems unfathomable that Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne co-starred in only one talkie, The Guardsman (1931).

I've heard that there is extant footage from a television play they did. Similarly, Katherine Cornell made only one fleeting appearance in a film, but her late in life television performances were recorded.
Eric Stott

FrankFay

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 11:36 am

JohnnieGray wrote:Prokopenko, the woman from the Odessa steps sequence in BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN (1925)

The toddler in the baby carriage was interviewed late in life as the last surviving cast member.

The list of infants and toddlers who made one shot film appearances would be endless.
Eric Stott
Next

Return to Talking About Silents