A Woman Of Affairs (1928)

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

larrys66diner

A Woman Of Affairs (1928)

PostFri Sep 05, 2008 9:37 pm

I must say this was a fantastic film! Garbo was breath-taking ... of course! She was ... GARBO! She was steamy and sultry; yet she was vulnerable and delicate in this role! She could knock a man DEAD with a glance!

Gustav von Seyffertitz also delivered an outstanding performance in his typical villainous role as her husband, Boris! I think von Seyffertitz was, by far, under-rated as an actor, who probably should have gotten more leading roles in his time!

Danny

PostSat Sep 06, 2008 6:55 am

Are you confusing "A Woman Of Affairs" with "Mysterious Lady"? Von Seyffertitz was in "Mysterious Lady". He was good at playing villains.

However, both are great films and worth seeing.

Danny

silentfilmlegend

PostSat Sep 06, 2008 9:22 am

haha - yes, i remember the commentary to Mysterious Lady (which is the film described of course).

sorry to be vulgar, but one of the guys doing the commentary for the dvd said that garbo called the actor "gustav von safer-tits" because of his fascination with her clingy dress and concern about her lack of undergarments in one of the scenes.

this was a beautiful film, i wish it had had a better score. i didn't like it as much as others... but the scenes when garbo is watching the opera, when she's lighting the candles, when conrad nagel is being stripped of his military honours - stunning!

hopefully you've seen the real woman of affairs as well (with john gilbert an lewis stone). she'll knock you out in that one too!

larrys66diner

PostMon Sep 08, 2008 4:28 pm

Danny wrote:Are you confusing "A Woman Of Affairs" with "Mysterious Lady"?

Yes, Danny, it was The Mysterious Lady. My apologies for the error. :?

Thank you for catching that! :wink: :D

Panatrope1929

Re:

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 4:49 pm

The original Synchronized Score for "A Woman Of Affairs" has survived and is beautiful. One of my favorites from that era. I have no idea idea why they didn't put it on the DVD ... the new score is absolutely dreadful. Luckily the original score is available online at:

https://archive.org/details/VitaphoneSo ... ollection/" target="_blank

You can play it while watching the DVD on mute.

silentfilmlegend wrote:haha - yes, i remember the commentary to Mysterious Lady (which is the film described of course).

sorry to be vulgar, but one of the guys doing the commentary for the dvd said that garbo called the actor "gustav von safer-tits" because of his fascination with her clingy dress and concern about her lack of undergarments in one of the scenes.

this was a beautiful film, i wish it had had a better score. i didn't like it as much as others... but the scenes when garbo is watching the opera, when she's lighting the candles, when conrad nagel is being stripped of his military honours - stunning!

hopefully you've seen the real woman of affairs as well (with john gilbert an lewis stone). she'll knock you out in that one too!

dalefullerfan2014

Re: A Woman Of Affairs (1928)

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 5:32 pm

I agree. The original score is beautiful.
Randy

Dave Pitts

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 9:35 am

Same thing happened when Our Dancing Daughters debuted on VHS -- they slapped an atrocious soundtrack on it that could have been music for a department store commercial of 1963. The original track is perfect and matches the ambience of the film perfectly -- which it should.

jackgardner

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 9:34 am

I tried to "mate" that downloadable Vitaphone to my mkv copy (ripped from the Warner Archive DVD - I digitize all my media for convenience) and could not as it is about 10 minutes shorter than the actual film. I wonder if they messed up the frame rate when they transferred the movie....or if the transfer speed of the audio is slightly off.

Have to admit, there's not an MGM Garbo silent that I don't like.

Lostintime

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 3:45 pm

The original soundtrack of Woman Of Affairs has survived and it is available in You Tube, but does it really exist one recorded
in 1929 for The Mysterious Lady? I would love to hear it. Since its debut on video, the movie has been presented with the most awful music. Otherwise, the VHS edition of Woman Of Affairs contained a beautiful modern score composed by Carl Davies.

bobfells

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 5:55 pm

FWIW, I adjusted the speed for A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS and paired it with the original soundtrack. It turned out nicely and I posted it on my FB group, SILENT FILMS TODAY. Treat yourself!

Return to Talking About Silents