Ou Est Filibus

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Jim Roots

Re: Ou Est Filibus

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 12:56 pm

Is Eye selling a DVD/BR version of it?

Jim

Spiny Norman

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 2:53 pm

silentfilm wrote:It looks like the Vimeo version posted above is the Eye restoration, but with Dutch intertitles and English subtitles. The version we saw had English intertitles.
They probably took the trouble to create newly translated title cards?
This is nøt å signåture.™

Rodney

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 6:37 pm

Gary Newman wrote:Is anyone familiar with the DVD available from Loving the Classics?
https://www.lovingtheclassics.com/by-title/f/filibus-1915-dvd-r.html

Frankly, I wouldn't go there. I haven't seen it, but that label does not have much of a reputation, and that is certainly NOT an authorized release so the quality is whatever source they could get. I don't know of any sources outside of the original at the EYE Film Institute. It's a public-domain film, so there's probably no legal reason to go after them; but it's also likely not a great release.

I strongly suspect -- after its enthusiastic reception in San Francisco and Kansas -- there may be news on a quality, authorized release of this in the near future.

The version we showed at Kansas SFF was a digital scan from the EYE Institute, and looked fabulous. They sent it to me in 1080p. I took the liberty of rewriting the intertitles into what I consider more natural English using iMovie, and correcting one out-of-order scene at the end, and made a BluRay. I put it on my iPhone as well. The BluRay worked great in all of the tech rehearsals, but at showtime it inexplicably failed to run. We ended up showing it off my iPhone (with a Lightning-to-HDMI adapter), and I think I'll always try to have that as a backup in the future. It really looked excellent, and the somewhat rough nature of the original makes me skeptical that going above 1080p will improve it much.

The response depended on the audience member: some found it primitive and low budget (which it is) and others found it fascinating and audacious (which it also is). I enjoy it quite a lot, myself.

I also enjoy performing the musical score that we assembled: the Steampunk-meets-Miyazaki visuals lend themselves to some interesting musical options, as do the scenes set in a room full of valuable and mystic Egyptian antiquities.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Spiny Norman

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 7:44 pm

Rodney wrote:I took the liberty of rewriting the intertitles into what I consider more natural English using iMovie
The subtitles are actually mine, as in made by me, but done as literal as possible. And the surviving title cards weren't that poetic to begin with; in fact they were quite wooden. What the Italian was like, we may never know! Still, I hope you were able to use those subtitles for some good (rather than guess completely as some do).

milefilms

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 8:11 pm

Gee Rodney, it's like no one can put one and one together here. :-)
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V

Spiny Norman

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 9:10 am

milefilms wrote:Gee Rodney, it's like no one can put one and one together here. :-)
Is that supposed to mean anything? There is, to take up the expression, nothing to put together. There is only one known copy, part of the so-called Desmet collection, from EYE.

Rodney

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 9:27 am

Spiny Norman wrote:
Rodney wrote:I took the liberty of rewriting the intertitles into what I consider more natural English using iMovie
The subtitles are actually mine, as in made by me, but done as literal as possible. And the surviving title cards weren't that poetic to begin with; in fact they were quite wooden. What the Italian was like, we may never know! Still, I hope you were able to use those subtitles for some good (rather than guess completely as some do).

For the record, I actually had a different source and hadn't noticed yours on youtube! Having looked at part of that video, yours would have been a better starting point, though they have the same meaning. I was admittedly NOT trying to make a literal translation of the Dutch (which, as you point out, was already a translation of the lost Italian originals), but to come up with titles that helped the story go smoothly and transparently for the viewer, sometimes adding or subtracting content to clear up points that I found confusing in the original titles, and attempting to make the word choice and grammar more natural-sounding.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com

Spiny Norman

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 10:09 am

Rodney wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:

For the record, I actually had a different source and hadn't noticed yours on youtube! Having looked at part of that video, yours would have been a better starting point, though they have the same meaning. I was admittedly NOT trying to make a literal translation of the Dutch (which, as you point out, was already a translation of the lost Italian originals), but to come up with titles that helped the story go smoothly and transparently for the viewer, sometimes adding or subtracting content to clear up points that I found confusing in the original titles, and attempting to make the word choice and grammar more natural-sounding.
OOI every now and then you see two different copies from a silent film, and the intertitles are sometimes really, really different! Their translators must have generally had a lot of leeway to just do what they wanted (and to cut corners and make mistakes).
I had an example, but I can't find it now. :(

milefilms

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 3:08 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
milefilms wrote:Gee Rodney, it's like no one can put one and one together here. :-)
Is that supposed to mean anything? There is, to take up the expression, nothing to put together. There is only one known copy, part of the so-called Desmet collection, from EYE.

Yes, it does mean something, and no, it doesn't have to do with the source of the material.
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V

Spiny Norman

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 4:54 pm

milefilms wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:

Yes, it does mean something, and no, it doesn't have to do with the source of the material.
OK fine, well I hope you feel more interesting now.

silentfilm

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 9:50 pm

I was looking up the Filibus listing at the IMDB, and there is a big hint about Milestone on the page for this film...

Feufollet

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 5:52 am

Delighted to hear the Milestone hint! Here's hoping it comes to fruition, complete with a Mont Alto score.

Here's also hoping, though, that they can use Rodney Sauer's revised titles, or a version of the online subtitles Spiny Norman mentions. The "official" EYE English titles are indeed a bit jarring, with some unfortunate wording choices.

Above all, though, it's good to hear this film will be more widely available in better quality!

NotSoSilent

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 7:42 am

Rodney wrote:The response depended on the audience member: some found it primitive and low budget (which it is) and others found it fascinating and audacious (which it also is). I enjoy it quite a lot, myself.

I attended the Kansas SFF and thought the film was great fun. To me it didn't feel primitive and low budget, but I also didn't take it seriously and just had fun with it, which I think was the original purpose of the film. The Mont Alto score was GREAT and if the film makes it to DVD/Blu-ray I hope it is included!

milefilms

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 4:11 pm

There is going to be a brand-new transfer done from EYE's restoration, the intertitles are going through a major re-working, and we are doing a massive amount of research in Italy hoping to find hints to help us with the release. It's a little early to discuss the music but obviously, Rodney and I are talking. :-)

Just don't expect it quickly -- we have a lot of upcoming films!
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V

Dave Pitts

Filibus (1915)

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 9:25 am

Last night I watched the Sinister Cinema release of the Italian silent Filibus (1915). It's one of those supercriminal melodramas, in the Dr. Mabuse vein, only in this case the master criminal is a woman. She (Filibus) uses a silent airship to swoop in on her victims. She descends in a little gondola and uses knockout potions to immobilize them.
The film plays like a serial, but I have been able to find out very little about it. imdb says the running time is, I think, 76 min. The Sinister print runs 40 min., and seems to derive from a Dutch print (at least I think it's Dutch -- the intertitles have English script superimposed at the bottom of the screen.)
Does anyone have any info on this film? For instance, was it originally a serial? Does the longer print exist?
Overall, I found it a diverting 40 min., but not a classic. The airship footage was well done for '15. The main action concerns a plot hatched by Filibus to steal some diamonds out of a rare Egyptian statue and to throw suspicion on her adversary, a detective named Hardy (I think.) It must have thrilled the children of 1915 who saw it (although, since it was in the early part of WWI, I have to wonder about distribution.)

Bob Furem

Re: Filibus (1915)

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 10:00 am

A much longer version was shown last year at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival.

Rick Lanham

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 1:53 pm

There are several copies on YouTube. At least two are supposed to be 76 minutes, while another is over two hours???

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Brooksie

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 3:04 pm

Yes, it was/is a serial. As mentioned, it played at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival last year. You might find the essay that was included in the program useful: http://silentfilm.org/archive/filibus.

Rodney

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 8:27 am

Brooksie wrote:Yes, it was/is a serial. As mentioned, it played at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival last year. You might find the essay that was included in the program useful: http://silentfilm.org/archive/filibus.

The version shown in San Francisco and Kansas was around 70 minutes, though that may be film speed differences (40 to 70 minutes is pretty extreme, though). As far as I know, there's only one original source for the film; so I'm not sure where Sinister Cinema got their print. The original has very nice color tints.

There are plans for a quality release from Milestone with music. Also, some Italian sources have been located for a more accurate translation (the surviving titles are in Dutch).
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com

fredhedges

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 11:03 am

Rodney wrote:There are plans for a quality release from Milestone with music. Also, some Italian sources have been located for a more accurate translation (the surviving titles are in Dutch).

Super good news!

silentfilm

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 11:28 am

I've merged these two Filibus threads...

Jim Roots

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 1:51 pm

silentfilm wrote:I've merged these two Filibus threads...

Using official White House scotch-tape?

Jim

wich2

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 5:20 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
silentfilm wrote:I've merged these two Filibus threads...

Using official White House scotch-tape?

Jim

That's official White House SPACE-tape!
Previous

Return to Talking About Silents