The Woman Disputed (1928)

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Rick Lanham

Re: The Woman Disputed (1928)

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 1:53 pm

This search gets some hits on Marion Templeton.
The second one says that she resembles Lois Moran:

http://lantern.mediahist.org/?utf8=✓&q=marion+templeton

Rick

drednm

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 2:02 pm

She must be one of the prostitutes lurking in Norma's doorway.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

entredeuxguerres

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 2:43 pm

drednm wrote:She must be one of the prostitutes lurking in Norma's doorway.....

Please, please, "sex workers" they're now called. But odd that only one would be identified by name and the "madam" of the house had a larger role than any of them.

entredeuxguerres

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 10:38 pm

N_Phay wrote:...I was also struck by the similarities with "Hotel Imperial", similar setting and ending, certainly. "Hotel Imperial" is one of my all-time favourites, but I thought this one did it even better...

One of my great favorites also--so much so, that I believed you mistaken in this judgment. Henry King is great, but Stiller, after all, was European. But I just watched it again, after a lapse of several years, and immediately recognized that King's vision--building upon that of Stiller, it seems obvious--is the more imaginative, powerful, and affecting. I'd forgotten, in fact, exactly the trial to which Pola Negri's character was subjected--assumed it was identical to that of Norma's, but not so at all!--the humiliation of the latter was far greater, and so, in like proportion, was her vindication at the end.

But I appreciated Stiller's attention to one detail that King overlooked: hemlines at the time of the Great War! (Though Norma's cuteness, I must admit, suppresses my disapproval of her anachronistic skirts.)

My copy of Hotel Imperial is an old Video Streams production--very contrasty, with a score that's marginally acceptable once in a while, but mostly distracting & irrelevant. Is there nothing better on DVD?

N_Phay

PostSun Dec 20, 2015 6:57 am

drednm wrote:Here's a picture I found from The Woman Disputed

The priest is Michael Vavitch, but the people in the back are not the same as in the extant 1928 version. this may be Olga Baclanova rather than Gladys Brockwell as the Countess. The clothing is different, and there also an extra woman in the scene. Possibly from the print that circulated in Europe?

There's an adjacent still up on Ebay at the moment, a different moment from the same scene. The image on display has a watermark across it so I don't fancy lining to the whole thing, but I cropped the little group at the right out, and this one DOES show Gladys Brockwell, as well as what look to me like the actors seen in the film I saw:

I have the still Ed links to in my collection, but can't find the file I keep all my photos in to see if it's the same people or not in mine.
Last edited by N_Phay on Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

N_Phay

PostSun Dec 20, 2015 8:14 am

entredeuxguerres wrote:My copy of Hotel Imperial is an old Video Streams production--very contrasty, with a score that's marginally acceptable once in a while, but mostly distracting & irrelevant. Is there nothing better on DVD?

I got my grapevine DVD out to take some screencaps to see if this question can be answered in the positive (I believe there was an earlier grapevine issue of lower quality) I wound up watching the whole film of course:

The all-time great rage-out of silent cinema, surely:

sorry! I got a bit carried away. Hopefully these are better than the copy you have. The score on the Grapevine DVD is comped romantic classical music, generally very well done I thought, though there are a few jarring transitions here and there.

Both of these, for me, are truly great films, among the very best of the decade in which they were made.

drednm

PostSun Dec 20, 2015 8:22 am

It's from the same scene but I think different versions. The one I posted was in a fan magazine (I think it was Picture Play, Feb 1929). There's an extra woman and I think it's Baclanova in the back (hat and coat are different from what Brockwell wore). The husband looks different also: Howard Davies and Nicholas Soussanin. Their ties and pocket handkerchiefs are different.

The film was made as a silent and with synchronized score and sound effects (trade ads advertise both versions). Perhaps there was also a silent version made for Europe?

Doesn't seem the silent and sound effect versions would have had different casts.
Last edited by drednm on Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

entredeuxguerres

PostSun Dec 20, 2015 9:01 am

N_Phay wrote:
entredeuxguerres wrote:My copy of Hotel Imperial is an old Video Streams production--very contrasty, with a score that's marginally acceptable once in a while, but mostly distracting & irrelevant. Is there nothing better on DVD?

I got my grapevine DVD out to take some screencaps to see if this question can be answered in the positive (I believe there was an earlier grapevine issue of lower quality)...Hopefully these are better than the copy you have. The score on the Grapevine DVD is comped romantic classical music, generally very well done I thought, though there are a few jarring transitions here and there.

Both of these, for me, are truly great films, among the very best of the decade in which they were made.

Among the very best of ANY decade; and yet, how incredible that for both, only these pitifully inferior & inadequate viewing options. (Thank you Sonny Bono, Walt Disney Corp, and the most corrupt legislature this side of Nigeria!) I can tolerate poor video quality, with a first-class score, with far more equanimity than vice versa; those "jarring transitions" hit me like a punch in the gut.

N_Phay

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 6:38 am

I just got a production still from this film to add to the ones I already have, and also, happily, found my production still photo album, which I thought I'd totally lost. I took photos of them with my Ipad, I'll have to get a scanner at some point. Here is the still I just got, showing Gladys Brockwell and the cast as seen in the film N.T.-1200-B.167:

Here is "one I got earlier" showing the same cast - N.T.-1200 - B.158. The false perspective built into the set is fantastic! Such a wonderfully composed shot too:

Detail of the group:

"One I got earlier still" shows a different cast - N.T.-1200 - B.84 - NB slightly different to the one posted bt drednm upthread - he priest's pose is different:

Detail of this shows that not only is there an extra woman, but there's a child too:

greta de groat

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 10:47 am

cool, thanks for sharing.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

silentfilm

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 12:32 pm

Nice stills. That is Gustav Von Seyffertitz at the right in the top still. He's in some of the other stills also.

greta de groat

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 1:47 pm

I have the idea this was a troubled production and stills of this scene appear with and without Gladys Brockwell, which makes me wonder if there were reshoots. Brockwell's part is surprisingly small, too, so i have always wondered if some of her part is edited out. Old Gustav appears in the opening sequence as well as this one, so he's quite prominent in this film.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Hamilton's Grandson

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 4:25 pm

Hi N_Phay,

A scanner that I have been using for 8x10 stills and 35 mm nitrate negatives recently is the V 800 Epson scanner. The v600 that I had would only do 4x5 and not 8x10. Not terribly expensive and may end up paying for itself.... I hope. Hasn't been great for darker negatives though.

Regards,
Dana
Previous

Return to Talking About Silents