Helen Darling

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Two Reels

Helen Darling

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 8:58 pm

Helen Darling acted in the Vanity Comedies in the 1920's. There seems to be next to nothing about her on the internet apart from that she was born in either 1896 or 1898. Was just wondering if anyone here has any biographical information, however slight. Thanks !

sepiatone

Re: Helen Darling

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 12:14 pm

I've asked the same thing about Betty Bouton (born 1891) who falls off the film making map about 1924. I have a sneaking suspicion she died in 1924.

Likewise, I've researched a cinematographer named Al Liguori (born 1885) whose noir-sh work is preserved in "Scar of Shame" and other films that are now lost like "The World and His Wife"(1920). The latter film has some excellent noir-istic stills that survive. Liguori seems a pioneer of what would later describe film noir. He falls off the map after Scar of Shame circa 1927. For a while I was spelling his name Ligouri which yielded nothing, then realized I had his last name wrong which is correct as Liguori. Several Liguori's come up but which one the cinematographer? findagrave has an Al Liguori who died in 1928 , but I can't proved it is the cinematographer.

brook

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 11:53 pm

Looking in Ancestry, I can find a little early information on Helen Young. According to the 1900 census, she was born May 1894 in Oregon. She is incorrectly listed as Ellen. The birth year advances a year in 1910 and 1920. Her father is Archie Mccorquadale (as best as I can figure from the actual census and transcription), born in Scotland, and her mother is Edith, maiden name not known, born in Washington. Subsequent census list her as Cora E. Helen has a younger sister named Margaret. The family lives in Spokane on Maple Street and Archie is a railroad agent.

In 1910, Helen is listed as Helen M Mccorquadale and her sister is Margaret E Mccorquadale. Her mother is listed as Cora E Young, married to Arthur L Young, obviously Helen and Margaret's step-father, though not listed as such on the census. He was born in Ohio. There is also another daughter, Evelyn R Young, age 3. They live on Clayton Street in San Francisco and Arthur is the manager of a machinery company.

In 1920, Edith C Young is head of the family and listed as widowed. There is Helen Darling Young and Lessie Young (obviously Margaret), both listed as actresses in motion pictures, and Evelyn Young, attending school. They live in Los Angeles on Yucca. After that, I have nothing.
Ponto the Office Dog says: "Everybody Polka!"

NewAsOfRegistration

PostSun Apr 10, 2016 4:34 pm

I like to research and attempt to find info on actors that have none (I do it all the time at "Another Nice Mess"). I researched Helen Darling and Lassie Young a while back, and here's what I have...

Helen Mitchell MacCorquodale (spelling varies) was born on May 28, 1895 in Portland, Oregon to Archibauld and Cora Edith (Mitchell) MacCorquodale. I dunno what happened to Archie, but Cora remarried to Arthur Laurie Young in 1905 (he died in 1922).

Helen married John Hull Darling in 1917 (hence her screen surname), but they divorced before 1920. In 1926, she remarried to George Benedict Powell, but they divorced in the 1930s. Helen M. Powell died on February 25, 1972 in Palm Desert (Riverside County), California (though the CA Death Index indicates San Diego County).

As mentioned, her younger sister, Lassie Young, was also an actress. Her real name was Margaret E. MacCorquodale, and she was born on September 17, 1897 in Portland. She married a John Christian Lass (coincidence?) around 1929, and died in Portland on June 16, 1976. Both ladies also had a stepsister, Evelyn Rosalie (Young) Ley (1907-1990).

Here's Helen's Find a Grave page.

sepiatone

PostSun Apr 10, 2016 6:26 pm

That's exactly right. Findagrave is a great resource if you know how to use it. Many of the ladies are buried or have entries under their married names. If a lady has been married multiple times it's usually the present husband or most recent marriage that's entered on findagrave. Fascinating.

Harlowgold

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 6:35 pm

NewAsOfRegistration wrote:I like to research and attempt to find info on actors that have none (I do it all the time at "Another Nice Mess"). I researched Helen Darling and Lassie Young a while back, and here's what I have...

Helen Mitchell MacCorquodale (spelling varies) was born on May 28, 1895 in Portland, Oregon to Archibauld and Cora Edith (Mitchell) MacCorquodale. I dunno what happened to Archie, but Cora remarried to Arthur Laurie Young in 1905 (he died in 1922).

Helen married John Hull Darling in 1917 (hence her screen surname), but they divorced before 1920. In 1926, she remarried to George Benedict Powell, but they divorced in the 1930s. Helen M. Powell died on February 25, 1972 in Palm Desert (Riverside County), California (though the CA Death Index indicates San Diego County).

As mentioned, her younger sister, Lassie Young, was also an actress. Her real name was Margaret E. MacCorquodale, and she was born on September 17, 1897 in Portland. She married a John Christian Lass (coincidence?) around 1929, and died in Portland on June 16, 1976. Both ladies also had a stepsister, Evelyn Rosalie (Young) Ley (1907-1990).

Here's Helen's Find a Grave page.

Wow, great detective work. Can someone perhaps get IMDb to include this data - they still don't have any death information (biography stats like birth and death info are among the hardest things to get IMDb to add or correct, it seems sometimes they will only believe a veteran contributor who has submitted information frequently along these lines.)

Here's Helen in one of her two comedy shorts preserved by The New Zealand Film Archive. Is that Maude Eburne in the final minutes as the uncle's wife? Looks like her and has several of her mannerisms. Maude has two known silent credits a little before 1921. The handsome young guy playing cards as an extra looks familiar too but I can't place him.

Also just found two rare radio broadcasts of Gloria Swanson's 1949-51 radio show - one of them with Leatrice Joy - that I've placed on youtube. There are are apparently only three episodes that exist -the third is with movie fashion designer Rene Hubert but I haven't been able to track that one down. And, interestingly, this is one of Leatrice Joy's known three radio appearances - her last one was as Norma Desmond in a radio adaptation of SUNSET BLVD!!
Last edited by silentfilm on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link

Harold Aherne

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 8:21 pm

Finding census entries or civil records on Betty Bouton has proven to be quite difficult. The March 1924 issue of Screenland does have a short profile on her (page 97) that provides some clues to her background:

--She was said to be a native of Philadelphia and took classes in social work from the University of Pennsylvania. Before acting, she was a probation officer of juvenile courts in several cities.

--Her stage work prior to films included "a small part with Mary Nash", Jessica in The Merchant of Venice with Nat Goodwin, and a part in The Riddle: Woman with Bertha Kalich. The Internet Broadway Database doesn't contain any entries for Betty Bouton, not anyone with that surname in the opening night cast of the Kalich play. (She may have been working under a different name or joined later.) Her role with Goodwin likely wasn't on Broadway, since the IBDB shows Goodwin in that play only during a May 1901 engagement.

--The article says that she had lost her husband and a baby. The husband is only called "a young songwriter", but it's apparently Arthur Jackson, according to several articles that discuss their marriage in the spring of 1920. His Broadway credits stop in 1922 [edit: see below]:
https://www.ibdb.com/broadway-cast-staff/arthur-jackson-4299

Jackson's only known screen credit was Leave It to Me, a 1920 Fox picture with William Russell and Eileen Percy. An article in Moving Picture World for 3 April 1920 (page 119) confirms that the the film scenarist and playwright/songwriter are the same person.

At the time of the Screenland piece, Betty Bouton was trying a comeback. There was a two-year gap in her short film career (ca. spring 1920 to ca. spring 1922).

More coming -- *if* I find more!

[Edit: Found an obit for Arthur Jackson in Variety, 25 August 1922, page 8. It says only that he passed away "recently of a lingering illness, it was disclosed this week, although not generally known." He was said to be about 32, the brother of Fred Jackson, and staff lyricist for the Harms music house.]

-HA

Harold Aherne

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 8:55 pm

Now we might be getting somewhere in re: Betty Bouton. Her husband, Arthur Jackson, was born on 19 February 1893 and died on 19 June 1922. Her obituary was published in Pittsburgh's Jewish Criterion of 23 June and an image of it is posted on Ancestry. His widow's name is given as Mrs. Grace Elizabeth Broughton Jackson.

I haven't located a definite match for her family in the 1900 or 1910 census reports; there was a Grace Elizabeth Broughton who lived in Scranton and Lebanon, Pennsylvania and whose dates are 1887-1955, but I'm not convinced that she's Betty Bouton.

[OK, yet another edit: I'm not sure that the "r" belongs in Broughton -- there are two plausible matches for Grace Boughton in the 1900 census, one born in September 1891 and living in Philadelphia with her parents, John and Caroline, and the other born in September 1892 and living in New Jersey (although born in Pennsylvania). There was a Grace Elizabeth Boughton baptised at First United Methodist Church of Germantown on 12 April 1903.]

-HA

Return to Talking About Silents