Welcome Danger Question

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

JoeM

Welcome Danger Question

PostMon Jan 25, 2016 7:58 pm

Welcome Danger was originally completed and previewed as a silent film. After the preview, Harold Lloyd apparently felt a silent film could not succeed, so it was converted to a sound film. This involved dubbing half the footage and refilming the rest. I know with most early sound films that there were silent versions created for those theaters not yet equipped for sound, and I believe that there is a silent version of the sound Welcome Danger. My question is does the original silent Welcome Danger survive?

Wm. Charles Morrow

Re: Welcome Danger Question

PostMon Jan 25, 2016 8:23 pm

JoeM wrote:Welcome Danger was originally completed and previewed as a silent film. After the preview, Harold Lloyd apparently felt a silent film could not succeed, so it was converted to a sound film. This involved dubbing half the footage and refilming the rest. I know with most early sound films that there were silent versions created for those theaters not yet equipped for sound, and I believe that there is a silent version of the sound Welcome Danger. My question is does the original silent Welcome Danger survive?

Apparently not. A few years ago, the surviving silent version of Welcome Danger was shown at Film Forum. It was explained to us before the screening that this was the one Lloyd put out for theaters that hadn't yet been wired for sound, and it derived from the talkie. We were told that the earlier silent version which he scrapped does not survive.
-- Charlie Morrow

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostTue Jan 26, 2016 3:43 pm

Interesting information here. Had read about the silent showing a while back, but hadn't realised it was a silent version of the sound version. And presume the three-hour version is no longer around...

JoeM

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 7:29 am

Follow Up for those who have seen both versions-Are the sound version and the silent version of the talkie exactly the same with the exception of sound (running time, etc)and if not, which is better?

Rob Farr

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 7:54 am

Most scenes are the same but there is about reel of added footage that isn't in the sound version. The longest is a scene where Harold overpowers a much larger opponent thru wit and guile (such as smashing his bare toes with a hammer).
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx

maliejandra

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 8:23 am

The silent version of Welcome Danger does exist. I saw it screened at Cinefest last year and it was wonderful. Here is my review:

I love Harold Lloyd features. Because of the kind of everyman character he played and the city locations, his movies captured a slice of history that costume dramas and horror movies never did. Match that with top-notch comedy and you’ve got the makings for a wonderful movie, and the silent version of Welcome Danger is no exception. Annette D'Agostino Lloyd introduced the movie and asked the crowd who had watched the sound version. Then she asked how many liked it, and the amount of raised hands significantly decreased. She laughed and promised the silent version was vastly superior, and judging by audience reaction, she was right. The images were polished, the comedy was truly funny and the story was entertaining. This was definitely the best feature I saw at Cinefest. Now I want to give the talkie version a shot to see how it compares.

Keatonesque

PostMon May 07, 2018 1:12 pm

Any chances of the silent version seeing the light of day via DVD/BD in the future or is that seemingly in the hands of Criterion who have been sitting on Lloyd's work for nearly 3 years now and may take a decade or longer? I imagine if this were released, it would have to include both versions, since no distributor would prefer to only release an inferior sound version... but stranger things have happened.

Return to Talking About Silents