Worst of the Worst

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Donald Binks

Re: Worst of the Worst

PostMon Feb 15, 2016 8:59 pm

Now, Sir Donald, you ...

Are your communications with the Palace better than mine? Has she? Oh, my goodness! :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

jcp7701

PostTue Feb 16, 2016 11:19 am

One might want to walk around with a clothes-pin upon one's nose as well, if visiting the past. After-shave and "rose water" only go so far as opposed to regular bathing and showering. I'm sure that a trip to the butcher-shop would have been fun too: lots of flies and other nasties coming into contact with raw meat--

Answering the question for the thread, I found Lester Cuneo's "Blazing Arrows," from 1922, to be very disappointing. Great presentation on Grapevine Video, but very mediocre production values for a silent western: overly florid and non-sensical title cards, and a performance by Cuneo (who committed suicide in 1925) that was quite perfunctory. Even an interesting sub-plot about Cuneo being a white child adopted by an Indian couple and raised as an Indian was unfortunately dropped near the end, and certainly not used enough to contribute as much emotional connection to the film as it could have been.

Jim Roots

PostTue Feb 16, 2016 1:44 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:This is why one should never embark upon time travel without all your vaccinations being up to date.

Oh, damn! Hold the door for me!

Jim

wich2

PostTue Feb 16, 2016 4:37 pm

Done, Jim!

wich2

PostTue Feb 16, 2016 4:39 pm

Donald Binks wrote:
Now, Sir Donald, you ...

Are your communications with the Palace better than mine? Has she? Oh, my goodness! :D

She - er - doesn't have a great deal of time left to accomplish such doings, so things are rushed a bit! (I'm sure the notice is in the mail...)

JLNeibaur

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 12:08 pm

Tommie Hicks wrote:THE DIXIE MAD-CAPS (1918) with the Lee Sisters has to be seen to be not believed.

I have this on one of those Televista DVDs of silent comedies. There is some historical importance to the fact that such a film was produced at all, but yeah it does have to be seen to be "not believed"

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 3:07 pm

Big Silent Fan wrote:
earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:Two off the top of my head were the Frank Benson RICHARD III (1911) and FROM THE MANGER TO THE CROSS (1912), both of which were a struggle to sit through...

Years ago I bought one of those VHS copies of "From the Manger to the Cross." It was only partially there and the image was quite poor as was the music (if there was any, I cannot remember). So much for the cheap VHS videos that were for sale on Ebay.
Fast forward to the 21st Century and the 100 anniversary.

The film was restored and released on DVD by David Shepard. It's actually two early Sacred Films. The 1905, hand tinted Pathe' film, "The Life and Passion of Jesus Christ" has also been carefully restored and each are accompanied with a carefully made organ score. The multicolored stenciled images are quite thrilling to see.
"From the Manger to the Cross" is mastered from a print of the original negative. It was made on location in Egypt and Palestine for the Kalem Company.

For quality religious films, these are right up there with "King of Kings" now that they have been presented properly.

The Pathe film, though mainly a series of tableaux, was certainly more watchable than the copy of MANGER which I sat through as well as being a lot better presented...

EdibleCamphor

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 11:58 pm

I recently saw "THE DEVIL" (1915) based on a somewhat populat play of the same name and directed by Thomas Ince. I''m not sure what the other people thought, but me and the friend who was with me both thought it was dreadfully boring. The devil, instead of acting demonic, acts more like a mean girl from high school who is at a reunion 20 years later and tries to start fights. And thats the plot of the film. It is six painful reels and it was in the days where on the bottom of the title cards it says "PART 1, PART 2, ETC" I was counting until it was over. It also probably didnt help that the only surviving copy is a paper print that looks like a postage stamp blown up to a fifty foot screen.
Film Writer, Director, Actor, Historian, and Bespectacled Young Man.

Saint-Just

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Along with Oz '25:

Topsy and Eva (1927) - THE worst silent I've ever seen.
One Exciting Night (1922) - one deadly dull movie.
Camille (1921) - Nazimova emotes all over the whole gaudy place and everyone else has to stand around looking bored.

Darren Nemeth

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 10:34 pm

I have a religious film from the mid 1920s about The Good Samatatin.

The worst planned and executed silent film I've ever seen.
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/

telical

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 12:03 am

Darren Nemeth wrote:I have a religious film from the mid 1920s about The Good Samatatin.

Works fine as a silent short if you increase the speed to double.
Last edited by silentfilm on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link

2 Reel

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 4:26 pm

Kiss of the Spider Woman (1985) the only movie I ever walked out of. Not only boring and banal but a story of ugly people doing ugly things in ugly settings as vile as the underside of a rock at the edge of a waste treatment plant cesspool.
They call me "Dangerous Dal"

wich2

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 10:33 am

telical wrote:
Darren Nemeth wrote:I have a religious film from the mid 1920s about The Good Samatatin.

Boy, I'd have to agree.

But for being light on close-ups, it sure compares favorably with similar Indie Silent Shorts I've seen.

Darren Nemeth

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 9:08 pm

wich2 wrote:
telical wrote:

Boy, I'd have to agree.

But for being light on close-ups, it sure compares favorably with similar Indie Silent Shorts I've seen.

Thats the one. lol

I think my print is fully tinted also, IIRC.
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/

FrankFay

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 5:40 pm

wich2 wrote:
telical wrote:

Boy, I'd have to agree.

Shot on location (so to speak) probably cast with locals who had never acted on camera in their lives. Considering that, it could be worse.
Eric Stott

Red Bartlett

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 1:37 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:This is why one should never embark upon time travel without all your vaccinations being up to date.

...and don't forget your Gray's Sports Almanac!

Previous

Return to Talking About Silents