If the Internet says so...

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

Ludi

  • Posts: 102
  • Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:00 pm

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 5:17 pm

Stock photo companies claim rights to photos which are in the public domain. http://hyperallergic.com/314079/photogr ... in-images/
ernestthesiger.org
Offline
User avatar

boblipton

  • Posts: 5191
  • Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:01 pm
  • Location: Clement Clarke Moore's Farm

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 5:28 pm

Ludi wrote:Stock photo companies claim rights to photos which are in the public domain. http://hyperallergic.com/314079/photogr ... in-images/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank


To summarize, Getty and another firm have been charging people for using Carol Highsmith's photos, which she has deliberately made public domain. She is suing them for misappropriating about 18,000 images and, if successful, will collect more than $25,000 for each claim, plus damages, for a totalof a billion bucks. Getty says they are reviewing their ownership and they aren't asserting ownership, just a distribution fee.

Let's wish Miss Highsmith success.

Bob
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson
Offline
User avatar

radiotelefonia

  • Posts: 2053
  • Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:00 pm

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostSat Aug 06, 2016 11:08 am

Beth C-D wrote:I wonder if some of these errors are wilfull. Getty Images claims to manage the rights for this image: http://www.gettyimages.com/license/515356748" target="_blank
Image
It's misidentified as a documentary image of a cinema interior, but it's really just a blow-up of a still from Mabel's Dramatic Career (Sennett, 1913). (Ford Sterling is misidentified as Ford Skating, and they fail to note that Fatty Arbuckle and Mack himself are sitting in the foreground with their backs to the audience. Does anyone know who has the rights to this film? I imagine they'd have grounds to sue. Or at least send a cease and desist letter! I wonder what other images Getty has misidentified that they are making bank off of because of their willful ignorance. . .


Here is clean

Image
Offline
User avatar

silentfilm

Moderator

  • Posts: 9061
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:31 pm
  • Location: Dallas, TX USA

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 7:36 pm

Here's a bad ID, but it's not the eBay seller's fault...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222687274350

Image
This looks more like Merle Oberon (it's not Hedy!), and it is definitely not Charles Boyer. But notice that the movie and actors' credits are incorrectly printed on the still!
Offline
User avatar

silentfilm

Moderator

  • Posts: 9061
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:31 pm
  • Location: Dallas, TX USA

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 7:42 pm

boblipton wrote:
Ludi wrote:Stock photo companies claim rights to photos which are in the public domain. http://hyperallergic.com/314079/photogr ... in-images/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank


To summarize, Getty and another firm have been charging people for using Carol Highsmith's photos, which she has deliberately made public domain. She is suing them for misappropriating about 18,000 images and, if successful, will collect more than $25,000 for each claim, plus damages, for a totalof a billion bucks. Getty says they are reviewing their ownership and they aren't asserting ownership, just a distribution fee.

Let's wish Miss Highsmith success.

Bob


And Ms. Highsmith only got a small settlement from Getty Images, since her images were actually public domain...
https://petapixel.com/2016/11/22/1-billion-getty-images-lawsuit-ends-not-bang-whimper/
Offline
User avatar

Frederica

  • Posts: 4830
  • Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:00 pm
  • Location: Kowea Town, Los Angeles

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 10:17 am

silentfilm wrote:Here's a bad ID, but it's not the eBay seller's fault...

This looks more like Merle Oberon (it's not Hedy!), and it is definitely not Charles Boyer. But notice that the movie and actors' credits are incorrectly printed on the still!


It's definitely Oberon, but don't know who the man is.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"
Online

R Michael Pyle

  • Posts: 1504
  • Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 10:38 am

I'm just wondering if that isn't Merle Oberon and George Grossmith, Jr. in 1932's "Wedding Rehearsal"??
Offline

ajabrams

  • Posts: 246
  • Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:50 pm

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 8:42 pm

R Michael Pyle wrote:I'm just wondering if that isn't Merle Oberon and George Grossmith, Jr. in 1932's "Wedding Rehearsal"??


Not Grossmith, Jr. My best guess is John Loder with Merle Oberon in "Thunder From the East"(1934) which also starred Boyer.
Offline
User avatar

missdupont

  • Posts: 2297
  • Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:48 pm
  • Location: California

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 10:57 pm

It's not Loder.
Offline
User avatar

daveboz

  • Posts: 125
  • Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:24 am
  • Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 1:05 am

Maurice Chevalier and Merle Oberon. Folies Bergère de Paris (1935).
yer pal Dave
Offline

ajabrams

  • Posts: 246
  • Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:50 pm

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 8:22 pm

daveboz wrote:Maurice Chevalier and Merle Oberon. Folies Bergère de Paris (1935).


Correct !! - I should have known since that film is a favorite of mine. I guess Chevalier looked a little unlike himself (to me at least) in this shot. But Oberon definitely wears that outfit in the movie. It's terrifically fun, and has the added attraction of the wonderful Ann Southern as well as some great musical numbers.
Offline
User avatar

daveboz

  • Posts: 125
  • Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:24 am
  • Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 8:38 pm

ajabrams wrote:
daveboz wrote:Maurice Chevalier and Merle Oberon. Folies Bergère de Paris (1935).


Correct !! - I should have known since that film is a favorite of mine. I guess Chevalier looked a little unlike himself (to me at least) in this shot. But Oberon definitely wears that outfit in the movie. It's terrifically fun, and has the added attraction of the wonderful Ann Southern as well as some great musical numbers.

-----

Saw it once over 30 years ago -- before I had a VCR, alas! -- and was pleased to find it as enjoyable as the Chevalier Paramounts. (Not that I've seen all of THOSE -- yet!) Agreed about Chevalier's appearance in the still; there's a whiff of Reginald Denny and/or Jameson Thomas in his look.
yer pal Dave
Offline
User avatar

CoffeeDan

  • Posts: 905
  • Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:55 pm
  • Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 6:51 am

daveboz wrote:
ajabrams wrote:
daveboz wrote:Maurice Chevalier and Merle Oberon. Folies Bergère de Paris (1935).


Correct !! - I should have known since that film is a favorite of mine. I guess Chevalier looked a little unlike himself (to me at least) in this shot. But Oberon definitely wears that outfit in the movie. It's terrifically fun, and has the added attraction of the wonderful Ann Southern as well as some great musical numbers.

-----

Saw it once over 30 years ago -- before I had a VCR, alas! -- and was pleased to find it as enjoyable as the Chevalier Paramounts. (Not that I've seen all of THOSE -- yet!) Agreed about Chevalier's appearance in the still; there's a whiff of Reginald Denny and/or Jameson Thomas in his look.


Arggh! I'm so ashamed. Not only did I see FOLIES BERGÈRE (with its original 20th Century Pictures, Inc. logo) about 40 years ago, I booked it as a college film programmer! I had a passing thought that it was the film in question ("Boy, that sure looks like Merle Oberon in FOLIES BERGÈRE"), but for some reason, it didn't stick . . .
Offline
User avatar

silentfilm

Moderator

  • Posts: 9061
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:31 pm
  • Location: Dallas, TX USA

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 11:17 am

So this error obviously happened during a re-release of Folies Bergère de Paris, since it was from 1935 and Algiers is from 1938. The first film was from 20th Century (before Fox) and the second was a United Artists film. The printer really messed up this photo.
Offline
User avatar

David Menefee

  • Posts: 124
  • Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:49 pm
  • Location: Author, editor, and Assistant Publisher BearManor Media

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 5:14 pm

With photo credits, a researcher often has to go with the best source available, and often that source is what a studio wrote on the back of an 8x10. As we've often seen, their information was not always correct. I dare say that no one can recognize and name every vintage actress in every photo, as the frequently unanswered requests for photo identifications here on Nitratevile attests.

I have never read an absolutely perfect book in my publishing career that now spans five decades. Up to about 1995, books, magazines, and newspapers were usually "pasted up," which means that type was printed first on slick glossy paper, cut and trimmed, and then pasted (with hot wax!) onto a paper board the size of the published page. Ditto halftone photos. You guessed it, the wax often loosened and type, and sometimes halftone photos, fell off unbeknownst to anyone. This hazard was particularly troublesome with corrections that were printed first on slick glossy paper, cut and trimmed, and then pasted (again with hot wax!) on top of the previously pasted but erroneous text. Those little pieces of paper often fell off, too. The pasted-up board was rushed to a camera, which photographed the entire page into one negative, faults and all, and that was what the public saw. With newspapers, you could often publish a correction or retraction in the next day's edition, but books had to wait for a later edition, if there even was one.

For the past twenty years, publishing is via computer, with books often printed on demand; there are no paste-ups and no camera negatives as in the old days. Yet, writers are now at the mercy of MS Word and other text software programs that are not 100% perfect and often drop file extensions, or refuse to "save" revised text no matter how often the same correction is made. The morphing of finished book files as they ping pong from server to satellite to server to printer opens up yet another minefield of possible errors that occur all too often. Things sometimes just disappear, or revert to their original erroneous text, and the loss is discovered only after a book reaches consumers.

For perfectionists, the problems are deeply annoying, and there is no relief in sight.
Offline

SilentsPlease

  • Posts: 252
  • Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 12:12 pm

We need to keep in mind that a lot of the online errors could have come from print. This is especially true for obscure subjects that don't have a lot of info online to begin with, and someone could only find certain info in books and old articles, which we all know could be just as error-prone. In the early days of the web, a lot of websites inherited errors from print sources since the web author had nothing else to refer to.
Offline
User avatar

greta de groat

  • Posts: 2010
  • Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:06 am
  • Location: California

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 1:56 pm

SilentsPlease wrote:We need to keep in mind that a lot of the online errors could have come from print. This is especially true for obscure subjects that don't have a lot of info online to begin with, and someone could only find certain info in books and old articles, which we all know could be just as error-prone. In the early days of the web, a lot of websites inherited errors from print sources since the web author had nothing else to refer to.


And still, since websites like IMDB and Wikipedia seem to prefer print sources as authoritative and will "correct" information that doesn't match a print source, even though the print source is wrong.

I've watched with some amusement as i posted Norma Talmadge's corrected birth information to my website and watched to see how long it took to spread to those 2 sites. IMBD has since been "corrected" back to the wrong information, while Wikipedia has gone back and forth but is currently correct.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat
Offline
User avatar

Frederica

  • Posts: 4830
  • Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:00 pm
  • Location: Kowea Town, Los Angeles

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 2:32 pm

greta de groat wrote:
SilentsPlease wrote:We need to keep in mind that a lot of the online errors could have come from print. This is especially true for obscure subjects that don't have a lot of info online to begin with, and someone could only find certain info in books and old articles, which we all know could be just as error-prone. In the early days of the web, a lot of websites inherited errors from print sources since the web author had nothing else to refer to.


And still, since websites like IMDB and Wikipedia seem to prefer print sources as authoritative and will "correct" information that doesn't match a print source, even though the print source is wrong.

I've watched with some amusement as i posted Norma Talmadge's corrected birth information to my website and watched to see how long it took to spread to those 2 sites. IMBD has since been "corrected" back to the wrong information, while Wikipedia has gone back and forth but is currently correct.

greta


That triggered me to go look at Virginia Rappe's entry on imdb/wikipedia. DOB on imdb is correct, POB is wrong. POB on wikipedia correct, DOB wrong (among much else that is wrong). For the record, it's July 7, 1891, Chicago, IL.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"
Offline
User avatar

Frederica

  • Posts: 4830
  • Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:00 pm
  • Location: Kowea Town, Los Angeles

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 2:34 pm

daveboz wrote:Maurice Chevalier and Merle Oberon. Folies Bergère de Paris (1935).


Now that you've ID'd Maurice Chevalier, I can look at it and see Maurice Chevalier.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"
Offline
User avatar

daveboz

  • Posts: 125
  • Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:24 am
  • Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 2:50 pm

Frederica wrote:
daveboz wrote:Maurice Chevalier and Merle Oberon. Folies Bergère de Paris (1935).


Now that you've ID'd Maurice Chevalier, I can look at it and see Maurice Chevalier.

-------

Amazing what a moustache can do for some guys!
yer pal Dave
Offline
User avatar

Frederica

  • Posts: 4830
  • Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:00 pm
  • Location: Kowea Town, Los Angeles

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 2:56 pm

Frederica wrote:Now that you've ID'd Maurice Chevalier, I can look at it and see Maurice Chevalier.


Amazing what a moustache can do for some guys!


I was so surprised when I found out Clark Kent was really Superman.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"
Offline
User avatar

daveboz

  • Posts: 125
  • Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:24 am
  • Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Frederica wrote:
Frederica wrote:Now that you've ID'd Maurice Chevalier, I can look at it and see Maurice Chevalier.


Amazing what a moustache can do for some guys!


I was so surprised when I found out Clark Kent was really Superman.

-----
Yes! Had Chevalier been wearing glasses alongside the moustache we'd still be guessing.
yer pal Dave
Offline
User avatar

Jim Roots

  • Posts: 2478
  • Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:45 pm
  • Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: If the Internet says so...

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 9:29 am

daveboz wrote:
Frederica wrote:
Frederica wrote:Now that you've ID'd Maurice Chevalier, I can look at it and see Maurice Chevalier.


Amazing what a moustache can do for some guys!


I was so surprised when I found out Clark Kent was really Superman.

-----
Yes! Had Chevalier been wearing glasses alongside the moustache we'd still be guessing.


It's Groucho Marx!!!

Jim
Previous

Return to Talking About Silents

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests