Chances of DVD or BD release of 4 Horsemen?

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

TheyHadFaces

Chances of DVD or BD release of 4 Horsemen?

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 12:12 am

Sorry if this appears twice, but when I sent it the first time, it went to the login page after I was already logged in. I've noticed this site does that a lot. Why?

Anyway, I was just curious as to whether or not this has been talked about getting a release? Doesn't MGM hold the rights?

Harold Aherne

Re: Chances of DVD or BD release of 4 Horsemen?

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 10:15 am

Rights were acquired by Turner Entertainment in 1986, along with most other MGM titles and the pre-1950 Warner titles. Because of the Turner-Time Warner merger in 1996, the film is now in Warner Bros.' hands. If you ask about FOUR HORSEMEN on the Warner Archive Facebook page, they may have some insight on whether a release is planned.

-HA

Rodney

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 9:55 pm

Based on the date, FOUR HORSEMEN would be in the public domain, and there are 16mm prints around. But by far the best material is the Photoplay restoration, and that would need to come from them.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

azjazzman

PostSat Dec 10, 2016 3:54 am

TheyHadFaces wrote:Sorry if this appears twice, but when I sent it the first time, it went to the login page after I was already logged in. I've noticed this site does that a lot. Why?

Anyway, I was just curious as to whether or not this has been talked about getting a release? Doesn't MGM hold the rights?

It was released on LaserDisc, and a DVD release was discussed at one time, but as was the case with THE CROWD, THE WIND and GREED, to date it has not materialized.

THE BIG PARADE was also in this series and it was released on Blu Ray, but did not do especially well, from what I have heard.

Arndt

PostSat Dec 10, 2016 7:35 am

I guess if you really want to see the film there is this edition:

https://www.amazon.com/Intimate-Biography-Valentino-Horsemen-Apocalypse/dp/B000EGDCGO

The 132 m. version of the film is certainly watchable. It suffers from low resolution and is too dark in places, but has a good soundtrack. This was probably ripped off from somewhere.

I saw Carl Davis conduct for FOUR HORSEMEN in Luxembourg a few years ago. It was fabulous and I will happily part with folding money to obtain a copy of the Photoplay version with his score.
"The greatest cinematic experience is the human face and it seems to me that silent films can teach us to read it anew." - Wim Wenders

Arndt

PostSat Dec 10, 2016 7:41 am

A few years ago I visited a sherry wine cellar in Jerez, Spain. In one room they had casks that had been autographed by famous people over the decades. Ibanez had autographed one cask! I was excited at that and pointed it out to the Spanish tour guide. He had never heard of Ibanez and could not have cared less. Sic transit...
"The greatest cinematic experience is the human face and it seems to me that silent films can teach us to read it anew." - Wim Wenders

Rodney

PostSat Dec 10, 2016 9:54 am

azjazzman wrote:
TheyHadFaces wrote:Sorry if this appears twice, but when I sent it the first time, it went to the login page after I was already logged in. I've noticed this site does that a lot. Why?

It was released on LaserDisc, and a DVD release was discussed at one time, but as was the case with THE CROWD, THE WIND and GREED, to date it has not materialized.

THE BIG PARADE was also in this series and it was released on Blu Ray, but did not do especially well, from what I have heard.

There was a video store in Boulder that had that laser disc for rent, way back when I first scored Four Horsemen for Mont Alto. I looked to see if it was the Carl Davis score, but nowhere on the jacket did I see anything about the music. I ended up scoring to a 16mm print from a local collector. The Photoplay version is much better and more complete. And though I'm proud of our score (which uses several of the pieces composed for the film on its first release), the Photoplay score is one of Carl Davis' finest. I could still sing you Valentino's tango theme after hearing it once many years ago.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Rick Lanham

PostSat Dec 10, 2016 10:35 am

Just to mention that 4 Horsemen (1921) has been show on TCM (US) several times. I can't tell from the old schedules whether it was always the Photoplay version with Carl Davis' music, but I know that at least one time it was. I recorded it.

So maybe the best thing that can be done is to request it be shown again?

The 1962 version is scheduled for January 2017.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

azjazzman

PostSat Dec 10, 2016 10:39 am

Rodney wrote:
azjazzman wrote:

There was a video store in Boulder that had that laser disc for rent, way back when I first scored Four Horsemen for Mont Alto. I looked to see if it was the Carl Davis score, but nowhere on the jacket did I see anything about the music. I ended up scoring to a 16mm print from a local collector. The Photoplay version is much better and more complete. And though I'm proud of our score (which uses several of the pieces composed for the film on its first release), the Photoplay score is one of Carl Davis' finest. I could still sing you Valentino's tango theme after hearing it once many years ago.

Not sure why they keep it a secret on the jacket, but the LaserDisc is definitely the Photoplay version with the Carl Davis score. All of the LaserDiscs I mentioned above (The Crowd, The Wind, Greed, etc) are Photoplay.

Big Silent Fan

PostSat Dec 10, 2016 3:36 pm

Rick Lanham wrote:Just to mention that 4 Horsemen (1921) has been show on TCM (US) several times. I can't tell from the old schedules whether it was always the Photoplay version with Carl Davis' music, but I know that at least one time it was. I recorded it.
The 1962 version is scheduled for January 2017.

The 1962 remake is a worthy film, running 2:33 minutes. In my opinion, a few improvements to the brutal story of father & son were made.
I recorded the Carl Davis film onto DVD when TCM broadcasted "Beyond the Rocks" for the first time. Very nice quality.
Years ago, a friend sent me the large program (filled with photos) for "The Four Horsemen" when it was shown someplace here in a theatre.

Everything I own is now on DVD.

Keatonesque

PostThu May 03, 2018 2:40 pm

azjazzman wrote:

It's appeared on TCM multiple times in the past year or two, but incredibly, still no news about a possible HD release has materialized. Perhaps the only chance this iconic film has (which made Valentino a star) is the approaching centennial in 2021? If the centennials of these films in the coming years/decade don't yield long-awaited (and belated) restorations and releases due to the same funding issues, it's difficult to see it ever coming to fruition.

Return to Talking About Silents