Just Ordered 15 Books!!

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Lonesome Luke

Just Ordered 15 Books!!

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 8:03 pm

That's right, after ordering a few of them at my library I finally decided to buy the books I really wanted. So I bought 14 books on silent comedy (and one on Jerry Lewis). These are the books from McFarland:

Lloyd Hamilton Poor Boy Comedian of Silent Cinema by Anthony Balducci
The Harold Lloyd Encyclopedia by Annette D’Agostino Lloyd
Buster Keaton’s Crew The Team Behind His Silent Films by Lisle Foote
Larry Semon, Daredevil Comedian of the Silent Screen by Claudia Sassen
Harry Langdon His Life and Films, 2d ed. by William Schelly
Ford Sterling The Life and Films by Wendy Warwick White
Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle A Biography of the Silent Film Comedian, 1887–1933 by Stuart Oderman
Mack Sennett’s Fun Factory by Brent E. Walker
Stan Without Ollie The Stan Laurel Solo Films, 1917–1927 by Ted Okuda and James L. Neibaur
The Jerry Lewis Films by James L. Neibaur and Ted Okuda
Arbuckle and Keaton Their 14 Film Collaborations by James L. Neibaur

And these are the ones from Bearmanor Media:

For Art's Sake: The Biography & Filmography of Ben Turpin by Steve Rydzewski
Harold Lloyd: Magic in a Pair of Horn-rimmed Glasses by Annette D'agostino Lloyd
Lame Brains & Lunatics: The Good, The Bad, and The Forgotten of Silent Comedy by Steve Massa
Little Elf: A Celebration of Harry Langdon (Softcover Edition) by Chuck Harter & Michael J. Hayde

All of them were purchased using PayPal (I got a 20% discount from McFarland on the price of the books and free shipping from Bearmanor Media.) The total came out to $556.08 USD, for a grand total of about $745.00 in Canadian dollars!
I placed the order last week so it shouldn't take too long to get 'em, however the Sennett & Arbuckle books are out of stock, so I'll get them later.

I just wanna thank the people who wrote 'em - for putting me in the poor house. (At least I'll have something to read there.)

Dean Thompson

Re: Just Ordered 15 Books!!

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 10:15 pm

As Gomer Pyle used to say, "Shazam!"

I'm glad you posted these titles, Luke, for several of them are new to me. Buster Keaton's Crew in particular looks enticing, and I may put that one in my Amazon cart before the evening's out. Do you suppose we can play checkers at the poorhouse? :lol:

Lonesome Luke

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 10:38 pm

Dean Thompson wrote:I'm glad you posted these titles, Luke, for several of them are new to me. Buster Keaton's Crew in particular looks enticing, and I may put that one in my Amazon cart before the evening's out. Do you suppose we can play checkers at the poorhouse? :lol:

Dean, glad I could help - to put you in the poorhouse. I don't know if I'll have time to play checkers - I'll be too busy reading! (Plus, I might be busy ordering MORE books.... HELP, I NEED TO BE STOPPED BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!)

wingate

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 3:16 am

There are so many interesting books out there but they are phenomenally expensive.Furthermore here in the UK I find that I have a much better chance of resellng English than American books.

maliejandra

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 7:50 am

Sounds like something I would do (if I had the money). I've been eyeing that Larry Semon book. Let me know if it is any good. McFarland is notoriously and unfortunately pretty pricey. Bear Manor has better prices and nice sales, but their books are hit or miss in my experience.

Lonesome Luke

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 11:10 am

maliejandra wrote:McFarland is notoriously and unfortunately pretty pricey.

If you order 2 or more books they'll give you a 20% discount - but you have to call for the discount code.

Lonesome Luke

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 7:57 pm

OMG! I received my books from BearManor Media!! And it only took 5 days. I started reading the Harry Langdon book but I still have a Woody Allen book that only has 30 pages left to read (that is taking forever to finish.) I might read the Turpin book first though; I know less about him. (I like those two pictures of him as a police chief in a police uniform with giant buttons. I wonder which film that comes from?) The Steve Massa book, I ordered at my library, started reading it, but then returned it; I got busy. I never ordered the others at my library; I wanted my own copies. (They usually get the books & DVD/Blu-rays I want on comedy films - not bad for a library in Quebec, where the majority speaks french. :D )

BTW, I tried to upload the picture here, but I got the message: "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." So I stuck it on my Facebook page as a picture only I could see. That's the second time I've gotten this message, trying to post a picture on this board. What's up with that?

Last edited by Lonesome Luke on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Brooksie

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 10:31 pm

Lonesome Luke wrote:BTW, I tried to upload the picture here, but I got the message: "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." So I stuck it on my Facebook page as a picture only I could see. That's the second time I've gotten this message, trying to post a picture on this board. What's up with that?

See Point 2 in Mike's post in this thread - http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?t=5.

Jim Roots

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 7:01 am

How about supporting a fellow Canadian?

https://www.amazon.ca/100-Greatest-Sile ... +Comedians

And the pre-ordering for my next one:
https://www.amazon.ca/100-Essential-Sil ... ames+Roots

Jim

BenModel

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 11:31 am

Don't forget Marcel Perez: the International Mirth-Maker by Steve Massa. Just $11.95.

Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

Battra92

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 12:02 pm

Dean Thompson wrote:As Gomer Pyle used to say, "Shazam!"

Are you sure that wasn't Captain Marvel?

boblipton

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 12:51 pm

Battra92 wrote:

Billy Batson.

Bob
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson

Lonesome Luke

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 12:57 pm

Jim Roots wrote:How about supporting a fellow Canadian?

Sure. (I would have bought The 100 Greatest Silent Film Comedians if BearManor Media or McFarland had it.)

The least expensive copy of The 100 Greatest Silent Film Comedians on Amazon is $94.76 CDN — but that's too pricey. (If I have to spend more on a book, I generally prefer books on a specific comedian I like — unless it's Chaplin, I already have soooo many books on him.) The cheapest price on eBay (where I can use PayPal) is $98.97 CDN, from a seller in the UK. (How bout setting up shop on eBay, and selling some at a reasonable price?) The most I payed for any book from BearManor Media or McFarland was $50 USD. I opted not to buy Little Elf: A Celebration of Harry Langdon on hardback to save $10 USD. (Now I wonder if I should have - but that's a WHOLE book on Harry Langdon.) Will The 100 Greatest Silent Film Comedians be coming out on paperback?

Lonesome Luke

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 1:11 pm

BenModel wrote:Don't forget Marcel Perez: the International Mirth-Maker by Steve Massa. Just $11.95.

I'll look into it; not a bad price. But first, I'd be more interested in getting the The Mishaps of Musty Suffer vol. 1&2 & The Marcel Perez Collection DVDs. Now that I have a prepaid MasterCard, I can get 'em on Amazon (but it would be better if they were available on Amazon.ca instead). With the exchange rate, I find it a little pricey for DVDs. It would be better if I could get them on Blu-ray instead for that price.
Last edited by Lonesome Luke on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Roots

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 2:01 pm

boblipton wrote:
Battra92 wrote:

Billy Batson.

Bob

I thought it was a song by The Move.

Jim

Turpinutz

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 4:33 pm

Luke, I just wanted to say thanks from the bottom of my heart for supporting my Ben Turpin book, and all the other fine books you invested in. You have good taste. The Turpin photo you mention above (with big buttons) - if the one on page 149 - may have been posed during the filming of She Landed A Big One, released in October 1914. But he played the chief of the Essanay cops in several films about this time so it could have been taken from any of them. Back about 1990 in Clementon, NJ, I found that print of She Landed A Big One that's circulating in some circles. Turpin was the first American silent film comedian and was well-respected by everyone in Filmland, long after his passing. Hope you enjoy the book, and thanks again.

And maliejandra, you won't find a better book on Larry Semon. Well-researched, well written, and well illustrated. Lot of history on Larry's family roots, his father's career, Semon's illustration career, entering motion pictures, making the films, behind the scenes, his marriage problems, and his life of ups and downs, on and off the camera. Super filmography too.

- SteveR

Lonesome Luke

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 9:08 pm

HOLY CRAP!! (Can you say "holy" here?) I just received the books from McFarland!!! (except for the Sennett and Arbuckle ones which are on back order.) The only book I read from cover to cover here (which I ordered along with the Harold Lloyd one at my library) was the Lloyd Hamilton book. It's great; I had to have my own copy. The Harold Lloyd Encyclopedia, I read some of it, and the 1st edition of the Harry Langdon book, I photocopied once at a different library. But it's quite different from that one, from what I can see.
Turpinutz wrote:Luke, I just wanted to say thanks from the bottom of my heart for supporting my Ben Turpin book, and all the other fine books you invested in. You have good taste. The Turpin photo you mention above (with big buttons) - if the one on page 149 - may have been posed during the filming of She Landed A Big One, released in October 1914. But he played the chief of the Essanay cops in several films about this time so it could have been taken from any of them. Back about 1990 in Clementon, NJ, I found that print of She Landed A Big One that's circulating in some circles. Turpin was the first American silent film comedian and was well-respected by everyone in Filmland, long after his passing. Hope you enjoy the book, and thanks again.

You hope I enjoy the book — well I love it! I started reading it, and it's great. It's an entertaining read, and the pictures are FABULOUS! (Looking at those pictures, and from my other books, makes me sad to think that so many great films have been lost by these great comedians.) I told you on that His Regeneration thread that I didn't want to order your book at the library because I wanted my own copy (and didn't want to spoil the fun of seeing it for the first time if it wasn't my own copy.) Well, I meant it.

There are also two other pictures of Ben as the police chief on the two following pages. In one of them we see him with a bunch of other big buttoned cops "taking charge" and another with his "pet mule".
Turpinutz wrote:And maliejandra, you won't find a better book on Larry Semon. Well-researched, well written, and well illustrated. Lot of history on Larry's family roots, his father's career, Semon's illustration career, entering motion pictures, making the films, behind the scenes, his marriage problems, and his life of ups and downs, on and off the camera. Super filmography too.

I agree, the book can't be anything but great from what I can see. It's on Larry Semon for God's sakes! (Can I say "sakes" here?) You can't go wrong, plus there are plenty of great pics.

Did I mentioned I also bought "Four of the Three Musketeers" today? Can't wait for that one.
Last edited by Lonesome Luke on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lonesome Luke

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 6:48 pm

I made a recommendation that my library order your book, and this is the response I got:
Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec wrote:
Your suggestion : The 100 Greatest Silent Film Comedians

We are pleased to inform you that your purchase suggestion has been retained and this title will be ordered. You can locate it by consulting the Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec Iris catalogue.

User Services thanks you for your interest in the Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec collections.

I'll make another recommendation for your other book 100 Essential Silent Film Comedies, later, along with some of the other books I already bought too, like the Turpin book.

Jim Roots

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 10:42 am

Lonesome Luke wrote:

I made a recommendation that my library order your book, and this is the response I got:
Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec wrote:
Your suggestion : The 100 Greatest Silent Film Comedians

We are pleased to inform you that your purchase suggestion has been retained and this title will be ordered. You can locate it by consulting the Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec Iris catalogue.

User Services thanks you for your interest in the Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec collections.

I'll make another recommendation for your other book 100 Essential Silent Film Comedies, later, along with some of the other books I already bought too, like the Turpin book.

Thanks so much!

Jim

Lonesome Luke

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 12:34 pm

No prob. Means I get to read your book (and complain about the order you put my favorite comedians in :lol:).

JLNeibaur

PostSat Jul 01, 2017 4:51 pm

I just now was alerted to this post. Thanks for buying three of my books in your shopping spree. I can also vouch for every one of the other books on your list, as I own them all and wrote reviews of most. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks again!
JN

Lonesome Luke

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 11:50 am

JLNeibaur wrote:I just now was alerted to this post. Thanks for buying three of my books in your shopping spree. I can also vouch for every one of the other books on your list, as I own them all and wrote reviews of most. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks again!

Truth be told, I was wondering why you hadn't said anything. BTW, I'm still interested in getting more of your books, especially, The Silent Films of Harry Langdon (1923-1928) and Buster Keaton's Silent Shorts: 1920-1923, but they're a bit pricey. The Keaton one is $90 and the Langdon is $88.44 (not counting shipping).

Turns out Facebook isn't a good place to use for linking pictures. I had to join flickr, to re-post all the pics I'd posted after they'd disappeared. :roll:

2 Reel

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 3:50 pm

BearManor Media is having a 33% off sale from now through July 31st, so I just ordered 13 books + 2 on preorder. Are we equal??? (I confess, some of these I got as Christmas gifts. I like to save $$$ and don't mind buying early.) From what I saved, I may be able to buy a new hat . . . I'm thinking of ostrich plumes peppered with a medley of cacti . . . .

Mr. Suicide Henry "Pathe" Lehrman
Double Entendre: The Parallel Lives of Mae West and Rae Bourbon
Gunga Din: From Kipling's Poem to Hollywood's Action-Adventure Classic
Eddie Green
Jean Eagels: A Life Revealed
Ricardo Cortez
Slapstick Divas
Lon Chaney's Shadow
Wallace Reid
London After Midnight
George O'Brien
Reels & Rivals: Sisters in Silent Film
Lon Chaney's Thunder
The Leonard Reed Story
Famous Enough: A Hollywood Memoir
They call me "Dangerous Dal"

MaryGH

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 8:27 am

boblipton wrote:
Battra92 wrote:

Billy Batson.

Bob

Did someone say Captain Marvel?

Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

wich2

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 8:53 am

BearManor Media is having a 33% off sale from now through July 31st, so I just ordered 13 books + 2 on preorder. Are we equal??? (I confess, some of these I got as Christmas gifts. I like to save $$$ and don't mind buying early.)

2 Reel, if I may, there is one book in the BearManor stable that many have described as a perfect Christmas gift:

2 Reel

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 3:24 pm

Wich2, thank you for bringing the Standing in the Spirit at Your Elbow book to my attention! I'll get that for myself. I'd also like to get one of those hats that the character on the cover art wears for bedtime! Imagine the look on carolers' faces when I appear at the door in that.
They call me "Dangerous Dal"

Jim Roots

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 5:48 am

2 Reel wrote:Wich2, thank you for bringing the Standing in the Spirit at Your Elbow book to my attention! I'll get that for myself. I'd also like to get one of those hats that the character on the cover art wears for bedtime! Imagine the look on carolers' faces when I appear at the door in that.

It's called a nightcap ... no, not that kind of nightcap ... and it was standard bedwear for men for hundreds of years (1600s to the start of the 1900s), along with the nightshirt which could be stuffed inside your pants and worn as a shirt in the daytime. Women wore mobcaps to bed. There was no central heating and the houses were both cold and damp at night, so the caps were worn for practical reasons, not for (ahem) high fashion.

Jim

NotSoSilent

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 8:29 am

2 Reel wrote:BearManor Media is having a 33% off sale from now through July 31st

Is there a discount code or similar you have to use? I'm not finding this sale on their website.

Rick Lanham

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 9:54 am

NotSoSilent wrote:
2 Reel wrote:BearManor Media is having a 33% off sale from now through July 31st

Is there a discount code or similar you have to use? I'm not finding this sale on their website.

JulyatBM

https://www.facebook.com/bearmanorradio ... 2776780027

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

wich2

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 10:21 am

Thanks, 2 Reel.

Hope you enjoy my labor of love; I did the cover meself, after one potential artist was too expensive, and another became unavailable.

-Craig
Next

Return to Talking About Silents