Unknown Western Identification Assistance?

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Hamilton's Grandson

Unknown Western Identification Assistance?

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 9:52 pm

Anyone out there know who the actor and actress on the left are in this still? Link is below at tinypic.com

The taller actor to the right is Mark Hamilton, but I am not sure who the other cast members are or what silent film this may be from. I thought the wardrobe Hamilton has on was similar to the short "The Fight for the Water Hole", but the only still from this film is what I already uploaded to IMDB and the mustache looks different and this is a lost film.

Thanks,
Dana

Update: Tiny pic is not as easy at it appears. I will try to upload from flickr.............will try again
Update: No luck I give up . Sorry to bug all of you . Regards,Dana

radiotelefonia

Re: Unknown Western Identification Assistance?

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 12:23 am

Hamilton's Grandson

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 10:04 am

ttps://postimg.org/image/vm4t6kf59/

Try above link to see photo.

Thanks

Spiny Norman

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 10:31 am

This is nøt å signåture.™

Hamilton's Grandson

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks Radiotelofonia for the new site to post images.

Thanks Spiny Norman for seeing the photo post through.

Still a rookie when it comes to posting to this website. Also, I have a new photo/negative scanner and I am trying to figure out how to use it, so I am getting there...slowly.

Anyway, the actress looks familiar, but unsure in this scene who she or the actor to the left may be. Since Hamilton's last film was White Renegade 1930 and his first full length feature was 1924, then this would be the time period for this photo/film.

Regards,
Dana

MaryGH

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 9:18 am

Is there any writing on the back of that photo?

And I see some at the bottom - something that was scratched out, then "Stage 4" and something else I cannot quite make out.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/650/139/ ... ent-films/

Hamilton's Grandson

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi Mary,

Yes, there is handwriting at the bottom of the photo. My grandfather always wrote on all of his still photos "10 years recent stage experience" and used his stills and short 35mm reel to reel scenes as a resume when applying for roles. The women looks familiar but I still haven't matched her up with anyone by name. The actor to the left has an interesting Gen Custer Like appearance and is holding a canteen. There is nothing written on the back of the photo. The only film photos that I have seen so far with Mark Hamilton holding a rifle, was a short called "The Fight for the Water Hole" 1927 and this is lost with one still to date that I loaded onto IMDB. The cast for this short is a mystery.

His first agent was LB Mayer's younger brother, J.G. Mayer, up until late 1925 (according to casting directories) and then he used W.O.Christensen (whoever that was) as his agent until the end of his career in late 20's. I had read somewhere that LB Mayer and JG Mayer's relationship in the early 1920's was strained at times because as a casting agent JG' s recommendations for actors and actresses for roles were not always favored by LB and JG had animosity toward the older brother because of that. I know that Hamilton left Hollywood in the late summer of 1929 (accepted a position as Dramatics Director at a college in WAS State) and then went back down in 1930 to film in Carlsbad, New Mexico "The White Renegade" with Tom Santschi which was his only experience in a talking feature film other than a brief part in Zenobia 1939.

So, this photo is probably somewhere between 1926 - 1929.??

Dana

MaryGH

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 8:02 pm

Sharon Lynn? Almost looks like her.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

Hamilton's Grandson

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 10:08 pm

Hamilton appeared in these 3 films that Sharon Lynn starred in: Fox Movietone Follies 1929, Son of the Golden West 1928, and Aflame in the Sky 1927.

The only western genre that may be the same theme in the photo is Son of the Golden West (with Tom Mix).

The nose structure does appear very similar to Lynn's. I will check to see if the height, etc match.

Thanks for your help,
Dana

MaryGH

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Sharon also made 2 movies with Tom Tyler, "The Cherokee Kid" and "Tom's Gang" - some images of her from my collection, if it helps to identify who is in your photo:

Hamilton's Grandson

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 6:33 pm

Sure looks like Lynn. Wish "Son of The Golden West" 1928 was not lost then the question would be confirmed that the photo I inquired about may be from that film. Thanks.

MaryGH

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 7:55 pm

Hamilton's Grandson wrote:Sure looks like Lynn. Wish "Son of The Golden West" 1928 was not lost then the question would be confirmed that the photo I inquired about may be from that film. Thanks.

As far as I know there are 2 prints of "Son of the Golden West (1928) in Europe, one in Belgium, the other, the Netherlands:

http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.mbrs.sfdb.670/default.html

I have heard there are a number of Tom Mix silent films stored in European film archives, nice to know this is one of them.

Your photo of your grandfather posted above - is it a rare one, or a common one?

The reason I ask is this, if you are ever on film memorabilia auction sites like Heritage Auctions, Emovieposter, and Ebay (which can help), and that same image was used in a lobby card, it can be an immense help as an identifier. I have identified many photos (plus exhibit/arcade cards) of Tom Tyler that way.

Also, with the western silent film factor, if you have any knowledge of Spanish, I recommend Todocoleccion.net. Very easy to find some real gems there, and I have had good success with that site; most sellers do sell internationally, and offer Paypal as payment option.

Hope this helps you out.

Hamilton's Grandson

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 9:11 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. The photo is from a family album that my mom put together with @ 50 stills and 5 one reels that are being restored from Hamilton's entire career. I am trying to match them up with his filmography credits so the references you mentioned will be a big help. Thank You!

I think the print of Rainbow Trail 1925 may also be in Europe (or who knows where) as the other Tom Mix prints that you mentioned. I have been gathering some still photos from the internet, but only just started in the last month. An expensive hobby ...lol.

Hamilton's Grandson

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 10:09 pm

Duke R. Lee, Sharon Lynn, and Mark Hamilton in Son of the Golden West 1928. If I ever make it to Belguim or Amsterdam to view this one in archives then will know for sure. Thanks

MaryGH

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 11:23 am

Hamilton's Grandson wrote:Duke R. Lee, Sharon Lynn, and Mark Hamilton in Son of the Golden West 1928. If I ever make it to Belguim or Amsterdam to view this one in archives then will know for sure. Thanks

Thanks for that update - I too would love to go to the Brussels film archive to view the bunch of Tom Tyler's FBO silent films.

Maybe someday. :)

Return to Talking About Silents